Velocity Reviews

-   -   Win 95 printer (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t238878-win-95-printer.html)

Djembe 07-19-2003 05:42 PM

Win 95 printer

I have a laptop running Win 95 - unfortunately, I am not allowed to
upgrade the OS. What's the best photo printer I can use?? I like
Epson's stuff but they all seem to be geared for Win 98 or higher.

I actually wanted to get their 860U but was told that it was Win98
min. Is that true or can you download special drivers for it?

Many thanks

Matt 07-19-2003 05:48 PM

Re: Win 95 printer

"Djembe" <djembe_kan@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:515adca5.0307190942.48b7eea3@posting.google.c om...
> I have a laptop running Win 95 - unfortunately, I am not allowed to
> upgrade the OS. What's the best photo printer I can use?? I like
> Epson's stuff but they all seem to be geared for Win 98 or higher.
>
> I actually wanted to get their 860U but was told that it was Win98
> min. Is that true or can you download special drivers for it?
>
> Many thanks

I think your in the wrong Newsgroup.

Try: comp.periphs.printers

HRosita 07-19-2003 07:14 PM

Re: Win 95 printer

>djembe_kan@yahoo.com.au wrote:

>I have a laptop running Win 95 - unfortunately, I am not allowed to
>upgrade the OS. What's the best photo printer I can use?? I like
>Epson's stuff but they all seem to be geared for Win 98 or higher.

Hi,

Check to see if you can find an older Epson Stylus Phot with parallel port
connectivity.
Win 95 does not support USB.
Rosita

elemar@comcast.net 07-19-2003 07:18 PM

Re: Win 95 printer

Djembe <djembe_kan@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
: I have a laptop running Win 95 - unfortunately, I am not allowed to
: upgrade the OS. What's the best photo printer I can use?? I like
: Epson's stuff but they all seem to be geared for Win 98 or higher.

: I actually wanted to get their 860U but was told that it was Win98
: min. Is that true or can you download special drivers for it?

: Many thanks

I have used an Epson 1270 on a win95 machine. You just have to use the
parallel port and not USB for the printer.

Ray

--
E. Ray Lemar elemar@comcast.net

Marius 07-19-2003 08:19 PM

Re: Win 95 printer

The latest version of Windows 95 has USB-possibilities.
http://www.95isalive.com/win95B.htm

Update your laptop and test the possibilities.
Take your laptop with you to friens with a photoprinter.
Download the rewuired drivers!

For example:
I use a Canon S800-photoprinter. There are printerdrivers available also for
Win95-machines
http://www.canon.com.hk/english/driv...e_jet/s800.htm
(I advise to use the parallel port!)

Marius

Frank Hahn 07-21-2003 09:41 PM

Re: Win 95 printer

On 19 Jul 2003 10:42:36 -0700, Djembe <djembe_kan@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> I have a laptop running Win 95 - unfortunately, I am not allowed to
> upgrade the OS. What's the best photo printer I can use?? I like
> Epson's stuff but they all seem to be geared for Win 98 or higher.

I have a Canon i850 connected to a Windows 95 machine via the parallel
port. Their drivers specifically mentioned Windows 95 capable. I
would look for any printer that has a parallel port and see what the
box says.

--
Frank Hahn

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.
-- Groucho Marx

Djembe 07-23-2003 12:54 AM

Re: Win 95 printer

Thanks for the advice so far. But I don't understand, I have used
other devices in my USB port. The one that springs to mind is my
web-cam. Are there different versions of Win95 or should I just not
risk it and go for the Canon i850?

Cheers

Bob O`Bob 07-23-2003 01:08 AM

Re: Win 95 printer

Djembe wrote:

> Thanks for the advice so far. But I don't understand, I have used
> other devices in my USB port. The one that springs to mind is my
> web-cam. Are there different versions of Win95 or should I just not
> risk it and go for the Canon i850?

The i850 is not much "risk".
It still has a parallel connector.
A printer with only USB would be a "risk" ... and it would be one that I wouldn't take.

Even back when Epson released the Stylus Color 900 (early 1998 I think) and I tried to
get Win95 USB drivers from them, they said "tough luck"

While Win95B (right-click "My Computer"; choose "Properties"; look for a "b" after the version)
has the support for USB hardware, that never forced anyone to write Win95-compatible USB drivers
for their products. A few did ... very few. And at least for printers, there's just about
zero chance that a Win98 USB driver can work under Win95.

Bob

Frank Hahn 07-23-2003 05:14 PM

Re: Win 95 printer

On 22 Jul 2003 18:03:40 -0700, Djembe <djembe_kan@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Frank Hahn <fhahnisfake@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> I have a Canon i850 connected to a Windows 95 machine via the
>> parallel port. Their drivers specifically mentioned Windows 95
>> capable. I would look for any printer that has a parallel port and
>> see what the box says.

> One other thing - Canon don't sell the i850 in the UK from what I can
> tell (its not on their website and its not on Amazon.co.uk)

That I can't help with since I live in the USA. Maybe it goes under a
different model number in the UK?

--
Frank Hahn

Frank Hahn 07-23-2003 05:32 PM

Re: Win 95 printer

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 18:08:18 -0700, Bob O`Bob
<filterbob@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> Djembe wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the advice so far. But I don't understand, I have used
>> other devices in my USB port. The one that springs to mind is my
>> web-cam. Are there different versions of Win95 or should I just not
>> risk it and go for the Canon i850?

> The i850 is not much "risk". It still has a parallel connector. A
> printer with only USB would be a "risk" ... and it would be one that
> I wouldn't take.
>
> Even back when Epson released the Stylus Color 900 (early 1998 I
> think) and I tried to get Win95 USB drivers from them, they said
> "tough luck"
>
> While Win95B (right-click "My Computer"; choose "Properties"; look
> for a "b" after the version) has the support for USB hardware, that
> never forced anyone to write Win95-compatible USB drivers for their
> products. A few did ... very few. And at least for printers,
> there's just about zero chance that a Win98 USB driver can work under
> Win95.

Here is a table of MS Windows versions that I took from an on-line
course that I just completed:

#v+
Common Windows 9x versions
Version Version Number Notes
Windows 95 Retail *1* 4.00.950 Original Version
Windows 95 OEM *2* 4.00.950
Windows 95 Retail SP1 *3* 4.00.950A Major bug fix
Windows 95 OEM SR2 *4* 4.00.1111 Added FAT32, IE 3.0,
NetMeeting 1.0, DirectX2.0,bug
fixes, other updates
Windows 95 OEM SR2.1 4.03.1212-1214 Added USB support
Windows 95 OEM SR2.5 4.03.1214 Added IE 4.01, Outlook
Express, InternetConnection
Wizard,DirectX 5.0, NetMeeting 2.1,
Java VM, bug fixes
Windows 98 Retail 4.10.1998 Original version
Windows 98 OEM 4.10.1998 Original version
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222A Added IE 5, DirectX 6.1,
NetMeeting 3.0, MediaPlayer6.2,
bug fixes other updates
Windows Millennium 4.90.3000 Original version

*1* Retail - Available as retail product

*2* OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) - Available only with a PC

*3* SP (Service Pack) - General updates/enhancements

*4* SR (Service Release) - Replaced the term Service Pack

This table lists only new versions. Installing any of Microsoft's many
free updates often changes the version number. We'll see these
versions in the service pack section.
#v-

Hope the above is of benefit.

--
Frank Hahn

Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft ... and the
only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor.
-- Wernher von Braun