Velocity Reviews

-   -   Why are all my S2Pro pics soft? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t238616-why-are-all-my-s2pro-pics-soft.html)

neville stanikk 07-16-2003 01:25 PM

Why are all my S2Pro pics soft?

All my s2Pro pics are soft but how do I test it? Is there anyone in Devon
who's happy with their s2Pro who'd be prepared to let me test my camera
against theirs? It's the same with all my lenses which are a variety of long
and short Nikkors. And it seems to be something to do with chromatic
abberation - there seems to a lot of it.

Someone has told me that the "firmeare" could be to blame. What IS firmware?
How do I discover what firmware my camera is running? Where do I find a more
updated version and how do I get it onto my camera?

Any advice or reports of similar would be a great help.

Thanks

Nev

Todd Walker 07-16-2003 01:46 PM

Re: Why are all my S2Pro pics soft?

In article <BB3B10DF.A6F4%nev.stanikk@virgin.net>,
nev.stanikk@virgin.net says...
> All my s2Pro pics are soft but how do I test it? Is there anyone in Devon
> who's happy with their s2Pro who'd be prepared to let me test my camera
> against theirs? It's the same with all my lenses which are a variety of long
> and short Nikkors. And it seems to be something to do with chromatic
> abberation - there seems to a lot of it.
>
> Someone has told me that the "firmeare" could be to blame. What IS firmware?
> How do I discover what firmware my camera is running? Where do I find a more
> updated version and how do I get it onto my camera?
>
> Any advice or reports of similar would be a great help.
>
> Thanks
>
> Nev

Have you compared your output to that from the review sites? I realize
it might not be a fair comparison since you probably aren't using the
same lenses, but it might give you some idea of how your camera is
performing.

--
________________________________
Todd Walker

SimonG Ltd. 07-16-2003 02:32 PM

"neville stanikk" <nev.stanikk@virgin.net> wrote in message
> All my s2Pro pics are soft but how do I test it? Is there anyone in Devon
> who's happy with their s2Pro who'd be prepared to let me test my camera
> against theirs? It's the same with all my lenses which are a variety of

long
> and short Nikkors. And it seems to be something to do with chromatic
> abberation - there seems to a lot of it.
>
> Someone has told me that the "firmeare" could be to blame. What IS

firmware?
> How do I discover what firmware my camera is running? Where do I find a

more
> updated version and how do I get it onto my camera?
>
> Any advice or reports of similar would be a great help.

I have had a nagging feeling that my S2 Pro pics are soft also . . . have
you tried changing the Sharpening setting ? I have mine on the default.
I'm off to the British GP on Saturday and Sunday armed with a new Sigma
50-500mm lens . . . I'm a little concerned about the results I am going to
get . . . .

cheers, SG

Alan Rutlidge 07-16-2003 03:29 PM

Re: Why are all my S2Pro pics soft?

"neville stanikk" <nev.stanikk@virgin.net> wrote in message
> All my s2Pro pics are soft but how do I test it? Is there anyone in Devon
> who's happy with their s2Pro who'd be prepared to let me test my camera
> against theirs? It's the same with all my lenses which are a variety of

long
> and short Nikkors. And it seems to be something to do with chromatic
> abberation - there seems to a lot of it.
>
> Someone has told me that the "firmeare" could be to blame. What IS

firmware?
> How do I discover what firmware my camera is running? Where do I find a

more
> updated version and how do I get it onto my camera?
>
> Any advice or reports of similar would be a great help.
>
> Thanks
>
> Nev

Hi Nev,

Most pictures taken with the Fuji S2 Pro "appear" to be soft. This
"softeness" I believe isn't a real softness or loss of resolution as such,
but more how the camera records the image.

Most pictures for on-screen viewing normally benefit from some post
processing in the form of sharpening IMHO. So a small amount of sharpening
or careful use of the unsharp mask facility in programs such as Adobe
PhotoShop etc can enhance the final image espacially when viewed on the
screen.

Image quality on a reasonably good DSLR like the S2 can be dependant on a
number of factors, but all other things aside (poor exposure, wrong WB,
camera shake, focus, depth of field, etc), the optics play a significant
part. I have shot some frames on the S2 with a crappy Cosina 19~35mm and
the results were exactly that - crap. I no longer use this lens with the
S2.
The rest of the stable are:-
AF-S Nikkor 12~24mm f4 G (IF) ED DX
AF Nikkor 24~85mm f2.8-4 D (IF)
AF Nikkor 35~135mm f3.5-4.5 D
AF Nikkor 70~300mm f4-5.6 ED

Getting quite satisfactory results with the Nikkors and intend to stick with
them.

Take a look at some quick shots I took on the S2 with the new AF-S Nikkor
12~24mm f4 G (IF) ED DX lens. You will find them at
http://members.iinet.net.au/~rutlidge/photos/main.html I don't think you
will find them soft.

You can test the sharpness of you camera / lens combo with special
resolution charts, but if like most of us hacks, you don't have access to
them, then just shoot an object that has lots of close straight contrasty
lines. Shoot the picture in RAW or 4256 RGB-TIF mode to take full advantage
of the camera's CCD. Try setting the exposure such that the lens is stopped
down 1 stop from it's maximum aperture, as most lenses tend to perform
better at this setting than wide open or significantly stopped down
(generalised statement here - flame suit on). Also bracket your exposures a
couple of stops either side of optimum. Over exposure will blow out the
highlights and make the image look smeared. Avoid shooting into the sun /
light source as lens flare can appear as chromatic abberation, possibly
giving you the impression there is something wrong with the camera.

Check your results and make a subjective evaluation by viewing the image as
"actual pixels" with a suitable viewing program. Remember to take into
account the quality of your image may be marred by incorrect exposure, wrong
WB setting, poor focus or blurred by camera shake. BTW it might be worth
noting that cheap and nasty filters attached to the lens may degrade the
potential image quality. If you invest in a good quality lens it is worth
using a filter of similar or better quality if you want the best image
possible from the optics.

Your S2 firmware version is probably v1.00. I don't think Fuji have made
any changes since its initial release, although I may stand corrected on
this assumption. You can check the version of firmware by loading a JPG
image shot with the S2 into a program called Thumber. The EXIF data will
reveal the firmware version installed in the camera.

Cheers,
Alan

Todd Walker 07-16-2003 03:50 PM

Re: Why are all my S2Pro pics soft?

In article <3f156f63$0$23596$5a62ac22@freenews.iinet.net.au >,
rutlidge*nO-sPaM*@mail.iinet.net.au says...
> Take a look at some quick shots I took on the S2 with the new AF-S Nikkor
> 12~24mm f4 G (IF) ED DX lens. You will find them at
> http://members.iinet.net.au/~rutlidge/photos/main.html I don't think you
> will find them soft.

Excellent shots Alan. Might I make a suggestion? When you write the HTML
code for your pictures, don't constrain the dimensions using the
"height" and "width" tags. This forces the viewer to download the full
size image but only allows them to see it at the reduced size. It makes
the browser resize the image which causes degradation and loss of
resolution so we are unable to see the pictures in all their glory :-)

--
________________________________

SimonG Ltd. 07-23-2003 04:08 PM

"SimonG Ltd." <spam@simong.co.uk> wrote in message

> "neville stanikk" <nev.stanikk@virgin.net> wrote in message
> > All my s2Pro pics are soft but how do I test it? Is there anyone in

Devon
> > who's happy with their s2Pro who'd be prepared to let me test my camera
> > against theirs? It's the same with all my lenses which are a variety of

> long
> > and short Nikkors. And it seems to be something to do with chromatic
> > abberation - there seems to a lot of it.
> >
> > Someone has told me that the "firmeare" could be to blame. What IS

> firmware?
> > How do I discover what firmware my camera is running? Where do I find a

> more
> > updated version and how do I get it onto my camera?
> >
> > Any advice or reports of similar would be a great help.
> >

> I have had a nagging feeling that my S2 Pro pics are soft also . . . have
> you tried changing the Sharpening setting ? I have mine on the default.
> I'm off to the British GP on Saturday and Sunday armed with a new Sigma
> 50-500mm lens . . . I'm a little concerned about the results I am going to
> get . . . .

My results were OK, could have done with a slightly faster shutter speed
than 1/250 s for the F1 cars but other than that I an quite happy . . . .

cheers, SG