Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Nikon D100/Nikon N80; same exposure? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t238501-re-nikon-d100-nikon-n80-same-exposure.html)

MarkH 07-14-2003 09:21 PM

Re: Nikon D100/Nikon N80; same exposure?

Frank Gaylord <fbg@usinternet.com> wrote in

> Simple question: Do a Nikon D100 and Nikon N80, with the same lenses
> thereon, using the same metering system (usually Matrix), metering the
> same subject, *always* need the same exposure reading for the best
> photograph?
>
> The reason that I ask is that for as long as I've had my Nikon D100
> (8/16/02), I've been unable to become comfortable with how to produce
> acceptable (not necessarily artistic, just acceptable) photographs,
> what with whatever complications encountered.
>
> Last week, I took a trip with my daughter, who has a Nikon N80. For
> the first time, I compared my D100's exposure readings with a film
> camera, her N80. Not to my surprise, I saw that her reading was some
> 2-3 F Stops tighter than mine (Hers: 1250-2500 - 5.6 / Mine: 320 -
> 5.6). However, when I manually set my D100 to her readings, the
> photos turned out underexposed; not over underexposed, but still
> underexposed.
>
> Should they have been?

What ISO film was she using? What was your ISO setting?

It sounds like she was shooting with ISO400 while you hade your D100 set to
ISO100, this would give a 2 stop difference.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

W6DKN 07-14-2003 09:40 PM

MarkH wrote:
> Frank Gaylord <fbg@usinternet.com> wrote in
>
>> Simple question: Do a Nikon D100 and Nikon N80, with the same lenses
>> thereon, using the same metering system (usually Matrix), metering
>> the same subject, *always* need the same exposure reading for the
>> best photograph?
>>
>> The reason that I ask is that for as long as I've had my Nikon D100
>> (8/16/02), I've been unable to become comfortable with how to produce
>> acceptable (not necessarily artistic, just acceptable) photographs,
>> what with whatever complications encountered.
>>
>> Last week, I took a trip with my daughter, who has a Nikon N80. For
>> the first time, I compared my D100's exposure readings with a film
>> camera, her N80. Not to my surprise, I saw that her reading was some
>> 2-3 F Stops tighter than mine (Hers: 1250-2500 - 5.6 / Mine: 320 -
>> 5.6). However, when I manually set my D100 to her readings, the
>> photos turned out underexposed; not over underexposed, but still
>> underexposed.
>>
>> Should they have been?

> What ISO film was she using? What was your ISO setting?
>
> It sounds like she was shooting with ISO400 while you hade your D100
> set to ISO100, this would give a 2 stop difference.

That's pretty hard to do, as the D100 does not have an ISO 100 setting...

<<< Dan >>>

Frank Gaylord 07-15-2003 12:23 AM

Re: Nikon D100/Nikon N80; same exposure?

:
:> Simple question: Do a Nikon D100 and Nikon N80, with the same lenses
:> thereon, using the same metering system (usually Matrix), metering the
:> same subject, *always* need the same exposure reading for the best
:> photograph?
:>
[...]
**************************
Everything (that I can think of) was the same on both bodies and
lenses. We were both on ISO 400.

-- Frank :-)

MarkH 07-15-2003 02:09 AM

>:It sounds like she was shooting with ISO400 while you hade your D100
>:set to ISO100, this would give a 2 stop difference.
> **************************
> Everything (that I can think of) was the same on both bodies and
> lenses. We were both on ISO 400.

Then I got nothing!

The exposure should have been within 1 stop between the 2 cameras, since it
wasn’t *shrug* I dunno.

If I get an opportunity at some stage I will try to compare my Canon 10D to
a film camera and see if it is close to the same on exposure settings.

Frank Gaylord 07-15-2003 02:30 AM

Re: Nikon D100/Nikon N80; same exposure?

:> **************************
:> Everything (that I can think of) was the same on both bodies and
:> lenses. We were both on ISO 400.
:
:Then I got nothing!
:
:The exposure should have been within 1 stop between the 2 cameras, since it
:wasn’t *shrug* I dunno.
:
:If I get an opportunity at some stage I will try to compare my Canon 10D to
:a film camera and see if it is close to the same on exposure settings.
**************************
Any help that you may give will be appreciated. As I said, when I set
my D100 (manually) to the same exposure settings as my daughter's N80,
the out coming photo seemed a little on the dark (underexposed) side,
maybe one F-Stop.

-- Frank :-)

W6DKN 07-15-2003 05:04 AM

Frank Gaylord wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 02:09:52 +0000 (UTC), MarkH <markat@atdot.dot.dot>
> wrote:
>
>> Frank Gaylord <fbg@usinternet.com> wrote in

>>> **************************
>>> Everything (that I can think of) was the same on both bodies and
>>> lenses. We were both on ISO 400.

>> Then I got nothing!
>>
>> The exposure should have been within 1 stop between the 2 cameras,
>> since it wasn't *shrug* I dunno.
>>
>> If I get an opportunity at some stage I will try to compare my Canon
>> 10D to
>> a film camera and see if it is close to the same on exposure
>> settings.

> **************************
> Any help that you may give will be appreciated. As I said, when I set
> my D100 (manually) to the same exposure settings as my daughter's N80,
> the out coming photo seemed a little on the dark (underexposed) side,
> maybe one F-Stop.
>
> -- Frank :-)

Use a Wallace ExpoDisc ( http://www.expodisc.com ), shoot the sun on a
bright day with center weighted metering (using the method that the
ExpoDisc mentions in it's instructions), then measure the RGB values of the
image in Photoshop.

If your camera metering exposed properly, the RGB values will be
R128,B128,G128. If they are different, adjust your exposure compensation
until they do measure RGB 128,128,128 and that will be the correct exposure
(and how much your camera metering is off).

Also, if you use the ExpoDisc to do a manual white balance preset, your
white balance will be spot on - regardless of lighting conditions.

<<< Dan >>>

Frank Gaylord 07-15-2003 05:51 AM

Re: Nikon D100/Nikon N80; same exposure?

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:04:47 -0700, "W6DKN" <w6dkn-nospam-@qsl.net>
wrote:

:Frank Gaylord wrote:
:> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 02:09:52 +0000 (UTC), MarkH <markat@atdot.dot.dot>