Velocity Reviews

-   -   Mobile phone cameras (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t238427-mobile-phone-cameras.html)

Purplok the Unhinged 07-13-2003 11:47 PM

Mobile phone cameras

Hello,

Where ever I look for information about cameras I seldom see much talk
about cameras built into mobile phones. True they may not compare to
proper cameras, but compared to the likes of L'Espion they are not that
bad.

The main thing is that you will always have your mobile phone with you.
So many pictures I have wanted to take but I just didn't have my camera
with me.

The Economist had a really good article about mobile phone cameras a
while back (2003-07-03 no longer online after only a week or so!), and
the changing market for photographs. Ending up with people sending
photographs from mobile phones to LCD frames, all wirelessly.

Could it be that as cameras advance they have mobile phones built in,
rather than just phones with cameras built in?

Just a thought for you all to tear apart.
--
Purplok

Charlie D 07-14-2003 01:21 AM

Re: Mobile phone cameras

Purplok the Unhinged

> The main thing is that you will always have your mobile phone with you.
> So many pictures I have wanted to take but I just didn't have my camera
> with me.

I don't even have a mobile phone, but I can see the use of even a low
res camera.
I'll always remember a movie I saw where the picture of a suspect was
sent to someone. How about a husband shopping for a car or house and
sending his wife a pix and saying, "how about this one." How about a
young guy sending his friend a picture of a hot girl and saying, "you
have to take off work and come down to the beach."

I look at them as another way of conveying info. They don't have to be
"print quality."

--
Charlie Dilks
Newark, DE USA

Ian Stirling 07-14-2003 01:24 AM

Re: Mobile phone cameras

Purplok the Unhinged <purplok@spam.spam.go.away.come.again.some.other.d ay> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Where ever I look for information about cameras I seldom see much talk
> about cameras built into mobile phones. True they may not compare to
> proper cameras, but compared to the likes of L'Espion they are not that
> bad.
>
> The main thing is that you will always have your mobile phone with you.
> So many pictures I have wanted to take but I just didn't have my camera
> with me.
>
> The Economist had a really good article about mobile phone cameras a
> while back (2003-07-03 no longer online after only a week or so!), and
> the changing market for photographs. Ending up with people sending
> photographs from mobile phones to LCD frames, all wirelessly.
>
> Could it be that as cameras advance they have mobile phones built in,
> rather than just phones with cameras built in?

IMO, unlikely.
I think it's more likely that bluetooth/wireless lan will get ever cheaper,
and will get used to send data from the camera to a wireless access point,
a mobile phone, a printer, ...

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | mailto:inquisitor@i.am | Ian Stirling.
"I am the Emperor, and I want dumplings." - Austrian Emperor, Ferdinand I.

Bill Crocker 07-14-2003 02:06 AM

Re: Mobile phone cameras

Mobile phones with cameras are becoming a serious problem in many
situations! None of the "Big Three" automotives will allow you anywhere in
their buildings, even if you're an employee, with a mobile phone/camera
combo! Added to the list are any defense contractors, and several
government institutions.

Anyone considering this option, should opt for a phone with a removable
camera head, that can be detached, and left in the car.

Bill Crocker

Paul Bartram 07-14-2003 07:31 AM

Re: Mobile phone cameras

"Purplok the Unhinged" <purplok@spam.spam.go.away.come.again.some.other.d ay>
wrote

> Could it be that as cameras advance they have mobile phones built in,
> rather than just phones with cameras built in?

Good grief, it's bad enough avoiding motorists who use phones while driving,
now they'll be taking pictures as well!

Incidentally I find a great way of taking candid portraits with my Coolpix
995 is to hold it horizontal at waist level (looking down on the LCD), the
lens pointing at 90 degrees to the side, while I pretend it is a mobile
phone and I'm SMS'ing someone. Hard to explain, but it works a treat -
nobody takes the slightest notice of me, so I can wait for a good facial
expression to show... got some excellent results.

Paul