Velocity Reviews

-   -   Canon BG-ED3 batteries in D30 or D60 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t238309-canon-bg-ed3-batteries-in-d30-or-d60.html)

Steve Hilmy 07-12-2003 12:50 PM

Canon BG-ED3 batteries in D30 or D60

Does anyone use third party batteries with the Canon BG-ED3 grip on
either the D30 or D60 cameras? I have only Canon branded batteries and
would like to get a few extra sets but not for $50 each unless I
really have to do so!

Don Coon 07-12-2003 01:03 PM

Re: Canon BG-ED3 batteries in D30 or D60

"Steve Hilmy" <IcarusSound@acmemail.net> wrote in message
news:a78b965a.0307120450.db317e1@posting.google.co m...
> Does anyone use third party batteries with the Canon BG-ED3 grip on
> either the D30 or D60 cameras? I have only Canon branded batteries and
> would like to get a few extra sets but not for $50 each unless I
> really have to do so!

You missed this entire thread?

I bought a Lenmar one and after 4 -5 cycles it is yet to out last the canon
one, I realise that it may take a few cycles to reach full capacity but I
question it's claimed capacity. Still for $12 or so I'm not complaning,
check out the canon replacement part!

Greg
"Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote in message

> "peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > There seems to be quite a few 3rd party alternatives for canon BP 511.

> Does
> > anyone know which one has the highest capacity and which has the best
> > price/capacity? I'm not sure if the rating on the battery is accurate.
> >
> > (1) CTA Digital's DB-BP511; 1300mAh
> > (2) Lenmar LIC-511; 1250mAh
> > (3) VidPro AC-511; 1500mAh
> > (4) MAHA MH-BP-511; 1300mAh
> > (5) Mugen Power BP-511; 1300mAh
> > (6) Adorama's BP-511; no rating
> > (7) Power 2000's BP-511; 1500mAh
> > (8) bargain-batteries' no-brand 1300mAh
> >
> > This has to fit inside a camera (EOS 10D), so I cannot use a physically
> > larger replacement designed for camcorders.
> >

> I don't know if anyone knows for certain how accurate the claimed mah
> ratings are. I bought the ACDelco brand claiming to be 1500mah for $45 18
> months ago but I can't say for certain that it'll significantly outlast

the

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=40973
> The guy has a 99.8% feedback rating so I wouldn't worry about getting a

bum

Mark M 07-13-2003 06:09 AM

Re: Canon BG-ED3 batteries in D30 or D60

"Steve Hilmy" <IcarusSound@acmemail.net> wrote in message
news:a78b965a.0307120450.db317e1@posting.google.co m...
> Does anyone use third party batteries with the Canon BG-ED3 grip on
> either the D30 or D60 cameras? I have only Canon branded batteries and
> would like to get a few extra sets but not for $50 each unless I
> really have to do so!

Yes.
I have compared the new battery that came with my 10D (and withmy
now-destroyed D30) with the third party battery by Power-2000 (available at
B&H). It is significantly longer lasting, though I've forgotten the
figures. I believe the rating was 1500 vs. 1100 for the Canon, but it might
have been 1400.
Either way...it's far better for significantly less $$. It was $34.95, and
I wish I had ordered several more from the beginning.

-I'll not buy another Canon battery for the 10D.

Mark M 07-13-2003 08:34 PM

news:a78b965a.0307131035.6579845a@posting.google.c om...
> > You missed this entire thread?

> Actually no. I was specifically concerned with the BG-ED3 grip which
> aparently is not as forgiving as the D30 or D60 with regards to third
> party batteries.
>
> So to re-pose the question a little more clearly: does anyone use
> third party batteries in the BG-ED3 grip, and if so which ones?

Again... Yes.
Power-2000 1500 mah batteries from B&H.