Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: 98 vs. XP for digital photography (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t238280-re-98-vs-xp-for-digital-photography.html)

Olin K. McDaniel 07-12-2003 02:08 AM

Re: 98 vs. XP for digital photography

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:49:19 +0000, Jonathan Wilson
<i400s@hotmail.com> wrote:

(much snipped)

>fragmentation is less of an issue, but i would recomend de-fragging a
>disk once a week... if nothing else it gives the disk a good work out,
>but if you have never de-fraged a disk in years, DONT DO IT!!!! While
>its good to work out all the disk frequently, I have known 4 people
>that did a de-frag for the first time between 1-3 years after purchase
>whos drives promptly failed !

(more snipped)
>--
>Jonathan Wilson.
>www.somethingerotic.com

Excuse the slightly off topic response - but if a disk has not been
de-fragged for an extended period of time, there is a much simpler and
faster, plus safer approach. Just do a full backup, reformat then
restore.

Olin McDaniel

To reply by email, please remove "abcd" from Return address
"Ignorance is treatable, Stupidity is incurable. Sometimes
the difference is hardly distinguishable, however."

Tom Scales 07-12-2003 02:28 AM

Re: 98 vs. XP for digital photography

No it won't. A Ghost restore will do an exact restore, fragmented and all.

Tom

Rick 07-12-2003 02:30 AM

Re: 98 vs. XP for digital photography

Maybe on your planet, Tom. Not here on Earth. Or unless
you use the -NTC- switch ;-)

RickW