Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: What film body to pair with a D100 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t238146-re-what-film-body-to-pair-with-a-d100.html)

Joe Doupnik 07-10-2003 08:10 PM

In article <sphPa.40109$C83.3166801@newsread1.prod.itd.earthl ink.net>, Andrew McDonald <andy.h@tes.spam> writes:
> Jeffrey Cohen wrote:
>> Many will scoff at this reply, but... I have an N80 and a Sony 4MP
>> DSC-S85. In many respects, the S85 takes better pictures than the N80.
>> Now, it could certainly be that the photographer's fault, but when I
>> shoot in fully automatic mode, comparying picture to picture, I get
>> sharper pictures with better color rendition on my Sony digital than I
>> do with my fancy N80.

> Not me.

-----------
The N80 by itself takes truely horrid pictures. Totally out of
focus and exposure is the pits. To correct these faults Nikon provides
lenses, also their way of making a profit. Useful mechanisms, these lens
thingys. Alas, quality varies and so does the skill level of the lens
operator.
The N80 also is terribly forgetful. Take a pic and poof, it's
gone. To cure that vendors make film. Film comes in two flavors: positive
(slide) and negative (for prints etc). Film quality varies a lot, and
with it goes needed appreciation by the film operator. If the results
are prints then the photolab gets into the act. If digital scans then
the typical lab produces quite remarkably bad results compared to do it
yourself scans with decent gear.
Putting together the quality pieces, one finds pictures from the
N80 to be of higher quality than from current digital cameras. Grain is a
drawback to common ISO400 film.
In shorter form, the N80 is a film and lens holder. The film and
lens make the real difference. It's a rather nice holder, I have one and
the other bits to make it remember nicely.
Joe D.

Andrew McDonald 07-10-2003 11:51 PM

Joe Doupnik wrote:
> In shorter form, the N80 is a film and lens holder. The film and
> lens make the real difference. It's a rather nice holder, I have one and
> the other bits to make it remember nicely.

I have the same lens on my D100 as you can put on the N80 so that equals
that out. And to my eyes, the pictures I take with the D100 are
generally much sharper and clearer than those I am currently spending
hours every day scanning with a not-cheap scanner.

gsum 07-11-2003 06:56 AM

Re: What film body to pair with a D100

You're right, 20x24 prints won't be equal.
I'm sure that your Nikon scanner will start
gathering dust when you see how much
better the results from the D100 are.

Graham

Tom Scales 07-11-2003 10:10 AM

Re: What film body to pair with a D100

Now THAT I believe :)

Tom

Jeffrey Cohen 07-11-2003 01:37 PM

Re: What film body to pair with a D100

I find your response somewhat insulting, though I'm sure you meant it in
jest.

My N80 with a Nikon 28-135 AF D Zoom in auto mode does not take as well
defined pictures as my Sony DSC-S85 in side by side testing.

Of course, we're not comparing apples to apples here. My digital
processing (done myself) is no doubt better than my film processing,
which is done at Costco or whatever discount processor I can use.

I was just making a point. You did't have to **** all over it.

JC

Tuomas Tenkanen 07-11-2003 02:59 PM

Jeffrey Cohen wrote:

> My N80 with a Nikon 28-135 AF D Zoom in auto mode does not take as well
> defined pictures as my Sony DSC-S85 in side by side testing.
>
> Of course, we're not comparing apples to apples here. My digital
> processing (done myself) is no doubt better than my film processing,
> which is done at Costco or whatever discount processor I can use.

As you've been told, it's the lens (+film) that matters. Could you check
your lens again as I cannot find any references to such a Nikon lens.
Sigma produces a 28-135 but not Nikon.

--
Tuomas

Tuomas Tenkanen 07-12-2003 05:35 AM

Jeffrey Cohen wrote:
> My mistake. The lens is a "Nikon AF Nikkor 28-105mm 3.5-4.5 D". Hope
> that's enough information for you.

Yes, thank you. That lens is well regarded and should produce better
images than a 4 MP digital camera.

> I think that more than a few professionals would disagree with your
> contention that only the lens and film matter. That's a rather
> testosterone charged comment, don't you think? While its true that just
> about any modern SLR body will perform well within its perameters, the
> bodies features and the flexibility of their parameters can certainly
> expand a photographer's visual palette.

True, but the body doesn't affect picture quality as long as it
functions correctly. Some bodies may enable more opportunities than
others, but it is still the lens and the film that define the image and
I thought we were talking about picture quality.

> Of course, I'm probably wasting my breath since you have already
> established yourself as the type who is looking for a fight, rather than
> an exchange of ideas. Good luck to you. You'll get no fight here.

Funny that you think I am looking for a fight. I just asked a question.

--
Tuomas