Velocity Reviews

-   -   30x zoom! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t238051-30x-zoom.html)

swangdb@auburn.edu 07-07-2003 06:40 PM

30x zoom!

I happened to find this camera (Kowa TD-1) on dynamism.com:

http://www.dynamism.com/td1/
http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1047935077.html

Very interesting. I wonder if I could bring a tripod in to football
games...

--
David Swanger
Office of Information Technology

SleeperMan 07-07-2003 07:39 PM

Re: 30x zoom!

<swangdb@auburn.edu> wrote:
> I happened to find this camera (Kowa TD-1) on dynamism.com:
>
> http://www.dynamism.com/td1/
> http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1047935077.html
>
> Very interesting. I wonder if I could bring a tripod in to football
> games...

From i understand, it's plain 3x zoom camera with additional fixed 10x
magnification, so you get 10x - 30 x zoom. Theoretically you can do this
with every camera, which has option for fixing additional lenses.

jlp 07-08-2003 01:01 AM

Re: 30x zoom!

Routinely done by the "digiscoping " community. I've successfully coupled my
CP5000 to my
spotting scope with a sophisticated,hi-tech adapter available for about
$1.59 at your local
hardware store. see http://home.teleport.com/~salmo/avian/ for a picture. It
has it's limitations,
effective aperture is small, shutter speeds are slow. The possibility of
capturing anything with
ANY motion is small. It doesn't appear Kowa has done anything to address
the basic
shortcomings (stabilization, large apertures etc.) But it does work for
limited applications.
--

Jeff
salmo@teleport.com

swangdb@auburn.edu 07-08-2003 03:44 PM

Re: 30x zoom!

In rec.photo.digital Unclaimed Mysteries <k4doh@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Of course, if you're talking about Auburn games there won't be much
> cheering this year anyway as the Tigers are doomed from beginning to
> end. Wailing and gnashing of teeth will be the order of the day. Each
> game will be preceeded by a Hitchcockian overflight of hundreds of
> diseased birds, with an erratic and disoriented "Spirit" leading them
> smack into the scoreboards, where their bodies will rain down upon the
> end zone seats. The hideous climax will occur late in the year when
> Lousiana-Monroe hangs a 60 on us in Cliff Hare Stadium.

Sigh. It's probably be even worse than that, but I'm going anyway!