Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Studio Flash Kit (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t238040-re-studio-flash-kit.html)

Todd Walker 07-04-2003 03:51 AM

Re: Studio Flash Kit

In article <5cb032d3.0307030506.63c48f55@posting.google.com >,
jeffdavies_uk@hotmail.com says...
> Hi guys,
>
> I am looking to buy a portable lighting kit to use for "location"
> shooting (portraits and glamour) with a digital camera.
>
> I am trying to decidebetween a Photopearl system (constant lighting)or
> a Portaflash system. I need a complete system as I currently only
> have a camera mounted flash gun.
>
> Details are here:
> http://www.jessops.com/search/dointe...h.cfm?node=316
>
> Any suggestions and advice gratefully recieved.
>
> Also, any reccomendations for dealers in the UK that may offer better
> value than Jessops.

Stay away from hot lights. As David pointed out, they get very hot and
don't put out anywhere near the light that a strobe will.

If you want a good quality set of monolights for a fair price, look at
www.alienbees.com -- I have the B800 firing into either a 32" umbrella
or a 12" square softbox (Westcott Mini Apollo) as my main light, and a
Vivitar 285HV on a light stand firing into a 16" umbrella as my fill and
it works great. Here is an example of a portrait with this setup:

http://twalker.d2g.com/P5095556.JPG

Good luck!
Todd

--