Velocity Reviews

-   -   Transferring Wireless Networks from an old laptop to a new laptop (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t237169-transferring-wireless-networks-from-an-old-laptop-to-a-new-laptop.html)

=?Utf-8?B?TW91bnRhaW4gTmV0d29ya3M=?= 05-03-2006 04:07 PM

Transferring Wireless Networks from an old laptop to a new laptop

I just bought a brand new Dell Latitude D810, fully loaded. This laptop will
replace my Dell Inspirion 1100. Both have XP Professional.

Whenever you change computers, there is always something that you forgot, or
can't transfer to your new computers.

Well, aside from applications, I'd love to fully carry over all the wireless
networks I've configured to my new laptop, without having to sit there and
reinstall from scratch.
Over the past few years I've connected to over 50 wireless networks, most of
which belong to my clients. Now...of course, reconnecting is easy...just
sign in and re-type my WEP key for all the networks I support. But is there
some way to avoid doing that for each and every sight, all over again? Isn't
there some folder I can copy and paste?

I'm looking for an equivalent to the "printmig" tool that microsoft puts out
for moving printers.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 05-04-2006 12:24 AM

Re: Transferring Wireless Networks from an old laptop to a new laptop

Hi
May be this can Help.
Configuring a Laptop (or any computer) to connect to more than one Network.
http://www.ezlan.net/faq#fewtcp-ip
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Mountain Networks" <Mountain Networks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:8B37DE28-93A9-4EE4-A494-4D9D4346B31E@microsoft.com...

=?Utf-8?B?TW91bnRhaW4gTmV0d29ya3M=?= 05-04-2006 12:44 AM

Re: Transferring Wireless Networks from an old laptop to a new lap

Hi Jack:

What you are referring to is an APIPA address configuration. This is not
what I'm talking about.

If you are like me, you take your laptop to a lot of hotspots and client
sites. Over time, you build up a list of these "preferredwireless networks."
You find this list of networks in the "Preferred Networks" section of your
wireless LAN properties.

Over the years, I've built up a list of over 50 preferred networks. Places
like 105NORTH and many other SSIDs which are stored in my computer. It is
this list of preferred networks which I want to transfer. APIPA won't help
with that.

Thanks...