Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   HTML (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f31-html.html)
-   -   Blank area above content (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t236888-blank-area-above-content.html)

klloyd 05-01-2006 09:08 PM

Blank area above content
 
http://test.springfieldparks.org/ver.../home_new.html

I'm at my wits end. On this page there is a blank area appearing at the
top, bumping all the content and graphics down so that they're not
flush with the top of the window. I have been scouring the html looking
for why and can't figure it out for the life of me. I thought maybe by
now I've got a little tunnel vision going on so maybe some fresh eyes
can find it. And yes in the body tag I do have:

leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"


Barbara de Zoete 05-01-2006 09:14 PM

Re: Blank area above content
 
On Mon, 01 May 2006 23:08:58 +0200, klloyd <kevin@kingtech.net> wrote:

> http://test.springfieldparks.org/ver.../home_new.html
>
> I'm at my wits end. On this page there is a blank area appearing at the
> top, bumping all the content and graphics down so that they're not
> flush with the top of the window. I have been scouring the html looking
> for why and can't figure it out for the life of me. I thought maybe by
> now I've got a little tunnel vision going on so maybe some fresh eyes
> can find it. And yes in the body tag I do have:
>
> leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"


Well, it could be one of the 37 errors in your markup
<URL:http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Ftest.springfieldparks.org%2 Fversion07%2Fhome_new.html>


--
______PretLetters:
| weblog | http://www.pretletters.net/weblog/weblog.html |
| webontwerp | http://www.pretletters.net/html/webontwerp.html |
|zweefvliegen | http://www.pretletters.net/html/vliegen.html |

Nije Nego 05-01-2006 09:17 PM

Re: Blank area above content
 
On 1 May 2006 14:08:58 -0700, klloyd wrote:

> http://test.springfieldparks.org/ver.../home_new.html
>
> I'm at my wits end. On this page there is a blank area appearing at the
> top, bumping all the content and graphics down so that they're not
> flush with the top of the window. I have been scouring the html looking
> for why and can't figure it out for the life of me. I thought maybe by
> now I've got a little tunnel vision going on so maybe some fresh eyes
> can find it. And yes in the body tag I do have:
>
> leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"


You have bigger and more important issues than "blank area". On my screen
(images turned off) I see only search button.

--
buy, bought, bye

klloyd 05-01-2006 09:55 PM

Re: Blank area above content
 
Barbara:
You might want to use something other than that "Markup Validation"
webpage you referred to. Since when is not having an ALT attribute for
an image an error?? I went through the entire list of errors it shows
and none of them are actual errors.

Nije:
Could you try it again and tell me what you see? In my browsers
everything comes up fine...except for that blank area that this topic
is about. Thanks!


Nije Nego 05-01-2006 10:04 PM

Re: Blank area above content
 
On 1 May 2006 14:55:11 -0700, klloyd wrote:

> Nije:
> Could you try it again and tell me what you see? In my browsers
> everything comes up fine...except for that blank area that this topic
> is about. Thanks!


You could find a preview here:
http://www.bruno-s.net/temp/klloyd.png

--
buy, bought, bye

Steve Pugh 05-01-2006 10:05 PM

Re: Blank area above content
 
"klloyd" <kevin@kingtech.net> wrote:

>Barbara:
>You might want to use something other than that "Markup Validation"
>webpage you referred to.


klloyd:
You might want to quote the parts of the message you are responding
to.

Now, what do you suggest using to check HTML other than the validation
service provided by the people who wrote the HTML specification?

>Since when is not having an ALT attribute for
>an image an error??


Since 1997.

>I went through the entire list of errors it shows
>and none of them are actual errors.


No, they are all errors. If you need any of them explained feel free
to ask.

>Nije:
>Could you try it again and tell me what you see? In my browsers
>everything comes up fine


Did you turn images off as Nije did when he tried your site?

Steve
--
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you,
I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Steve Pugh <steve@pugh.net> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

Barbara de Zoete 05-01-2006 10:11 PM

Re: Blank area above content
 
On Mon, 01 May 2006 23:55:11 +0200, klloyd <kevin@kingtech.net> wrote:

> Since when is not having an ALT attribute for
> an image an error??
>
> Could you try it again and tell me what you see? In my browsers
> everything comes up fine...except for that blank area that this topic
> is about. Thanks!


Now, isn't this a cute combination of responses. Missing [alt] is no
error, you think, but you fail to understand what a visitor whithout
images gets to see if you don't set a value for the [alt] attribute for
images that are content.


BTW:
<URL:http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html>
<URL:http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/>
<URL:http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/05/05/why_we_wont_help_you>



--
______PretLetters:
| weblog | http://www.pretletters.net/weblog/weblog.html |
| webontwerp | http://www.pretletters.net/html/webontwerp.html |
|zweefvliegen | http://www.pretletters.net/html/vliegen.html |

klloyd 05-01-2006 10:11 PM

Re: Blank area above content
 
Wow...obviously that screenshot is using Firefox but when I preview it
with Firefox it comes up fine. That must be because you have images
turned off. Most of the page at the moment is made up of images...the
design structure of the page. There is no text content yet.


klloyd 05-01-2006 10:14 PM

Re: Blank area above content
 
Ok I don't want to get in an argument here...I understand what you are
all talking about but am not worried about visitors who have images
turned off. What might that have to do with a blank space above all the
tables?


Nije Nego 05-01-2006 10:19 PM

Re: Blank area above content
 
On 1 May 2006 15:14:33 -0700, klloyd wrote:

> Ok I don't want to get in an argument here...I understand what you are
> all talking about but am not worried about visitors who have images
> turned off. What might that have to do with a blank space above all the
> tables?


From where I am standing, there is a lot of blank space, and no images.

--
buy, bought, bye


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.