Velocity Reviews

-   -   Getting started with Asterisk? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t236675-getting-started-with-asterisk.html)

dizzley 04-20-2006 11:16 AM

Getting started with Asterisk?

Asterisk has really got my tinkering juices going.

I have an old PC, some linux skills. - Now, where do I go to get
started building an Asterisk system for the UK?

I've visited http://www.asterisk.org

Cheers,
dizzley

Paul Hayes 04-20-2006 11:55 AM

Re: Getting started with Asterisk?

dizzley wrote:
> Asterisk has really got my tinkering juices going.
>
> I have an old PC, some linux skills. - Now, where do I go to get
> started building an Asterisk system for the UK?
>
> I've visited http://www.asterisk.org
>
> Cheers,
> dizzley

the quickest way to get a working system would be to burn the
Asterisk@Home (http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/) ISO to a CD and
boot the old PC from the CD in order to install it. Make sure there's
nothing you want on the hard drive though as *@Home will format and
install a new O/S.

The best way to get your hands dirty and really learn how to manipulate
Asterisk would be to install your favourite Linux distro and install the
Asterisk package. Then do a lot of reading and editing of text ".conf"
files.

This book which is available online is quite good:

http://www.asteriskdocs.org/modules/...ndex.php?id=11

cheers,
Paul.

JC 04-20-2006 11:56 AM

On 20 Apr 2006 04:16:21 -0700, "dizzley" <peterh.uk@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have an old PC, some linux skills. - Now, where do I go to get
>started building an Asterisk system for the UK?
>
>I've visited http://www.asterisk.org

Excellent! I guess you've got two choices, to use an easy setup system
like 'Asterisk at Home' http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/ or to
build a system from scratch (in my opinion, if you're familiar with
Linux, the best option) on top of a standard Linux distribution such
as CentOS.

If you download the tarball from asterisk.org there are some basic
instructions inside, basically a ./configure and 'make' and you'll
have a very generic system. Modify the indications.conf for UK tones,
add some sip clients to sip.conf then you need to modify
extensions.conf to reflect your preferred method of dialing (a bit
more involved). Let me know if you need some config examples!

Rgds
Jonathan
Free SIP VoIP accounts at www.kcip.com

Scot McSweeney-Roberts 04-20-2006 12:14 PM

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 04:16:21 -0700, dizzley wrote:

> I have an old PC, some linux skills. - Now, where do I go to get
> started building an Asterisk system for the UK?

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/ has a lot of information on asterisk,
including some info on UK related issues (such as Caller ID and using BT
Text from asterisk)

cheers

Scot

dizzley 04-20-2006 12:29 PM

Re: Getting started with Asterisk?

Thanks everyone for coming up with the goods.

I think in the first instance I''ll try Asterisk@Home then if I want to
play later I will do. http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/ looks handy too.

Diz

paul123 04-20-2006 02:37 PM

dizzley wrote:
> Asterisk has really got my tinkering juices going.
>
> I have an old PC, some linux skills. - Now, where do I go to get
> started building an Asterisk system for the UK?
>
> I've visited http://www.asterisk.org
>
> Cheers,
> dizzley

One of the nice things about Asterisk@home is that you can get a system
up and running (from scratch) within a couple of hours. You don't lose
any of asterisk's capabilities by installing AAH.

Excellent setup guide at:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/A...+Handbook+Wiki
And brilliant tutorials/ideas at: www.nerdvittles.com