Velocity Reviews

-   -   Sending SMS from Sipgate to Spanish mobile - fails constantly (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t236639-sending-sms-from-sipgate-to-spanish-mobile-fails-constantly.html)

Gul Dukat 04-10-2006 03:52 PM

Sending SMS from Sipgate to Spanish mobile - fails constantly

Has anyone had any success in sending an SMS message to a Spanish
mobile from their Sipgate web pages on their account? I have plenty of
credit and can call foreign numbers fine.

The number is standard Spanish mobile 650 836xxx

and I have tried both 0034650836xxx and +34650836xxx

Every time the Sipgate web page tells me that the number is invalid.
Anyone got any ideas?

Mike @ www.zd8i.net 04-10-2006 04:55 PM

Re: Sending SMS from Sipgate to Spanish mobile - fails constantly

Gul Dukat <me2@privacy.net> wrote:

>Has anyone had any success in sending an SMS message to a Spanish
>mobile from their Sipgate web pages on their account? I have plenty of
>credit and can call foreign numbers fine.
>
>The number is standard Spanish mobile 650 836xxx
>
>and I have tried both 0034650836xxx and +34650836xxx
>
>Every time the Sipgate web page tells me that the number is invalid.
>Anyone got any ideas?

I send text messages to two Spanish mobiles regularly. Both
are on Vodafone-ES and the numbers are 0034 617 567 xxx
and 0034 627 165 xxx.

Gul Dukat 04-10-2006 08:20 PM

Re: Sending SMS from Sipgate to Spanish mobile - fails constantly

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 17:55:12 +0100, "Mike @ www.zd8i.net" <Mike @
www.zd8i.net> wrote:

>I send text messages to two Spanish mobiles regularly. Both
>are on Vodafone-ES and the numbers are 0034 617 567 xxx
>and 0034 627 165 xxx.

Thanks Mike. I have now tried another Spanish mobile with a 0034 649
xxxxxx number and this is failing also. I think the 650 prefix is
Movistar and I'm guessing that 649 might be as well. It's getting a
bit late now (in Spain) to be sending test messages so I'll try again
tomorrow. I have dropped an email to Sipgate support as I'm fairly
certain that nothing is wrong here.

If you do manage to get a message to send in the next 24 hours or so,
perhaps you could report here?

Thanks.

Mike @ www.zd8i.net 04-11-2006 07:21 AM

Re: Re: Sending SMS from Sipgate to Spanish mobile - fails constantly

Gul Dukat <me2@privacy.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 17:55:12 +0100, "Mike @ www.zd8i.net" <Mike @
>www.zd8i.net> wrote:
>
>>I send text messages to two Spanish mobiles regularly. Both
>>are on Vodafone-ES and the numbers are 0034 617 567 xxx
>>and 0034 627 165 xxx.

>Thanks Mike. I have now tried another Spanish mobile with a 0034 649
>xxxxxx number and this is failing also. I think the 650 prefix is
>Movistar and I'm guessing that 649 might be as well. It's getting a
>bit late now (in Spain) to be sending test messages so I'll try again
>tomorrow. I have dropped an email to Sipgate support as I'm fairly
>certain that nothing is wrong here.
>
>If you do manage to get a message to send in the next 24 hours or so,
>perhaps you could report here?
>
>Thanks.

Just sent one to both numbers (8:10am 11/04/2006) and had replies
within a couple of minutes.

Mike.

paul123 04-11-2006 08:52 AM

Gul Dukat wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 17:55:12 +0100, "Mike @ www.zd8i.net" <Mike @
> www.zd8i.net> wrote:
>
> >I send text messages to two Spanish mobiles regularly. Both
> >are on Vodafone-ES and the numbers are 0034 617 567 xxx
> >and 0034 627 165 xxx.

> Thanks Mike. I have now tried another Spanish mobile with a 0034 649
> xxxxxx number and this is failing also. I think the 650 prefix is
> Movistar and I'm guessing that 649 might be as well. It's getting a
> bit late now (in Spain) to be sending test messages so I'll try again
> tomorrow. I have dropped an email to Sipgate support as I'm fairly
> certain that nothing is wrong here.
>
> If you do manage to get a message to send in the next 24 hours or so,
> perhaps you could report here?
>
> Thanks.

Just to add a note on those prefixes. Since number portability was
introduced the prefix is no longer a sure-fire way of saying which
operator the number goes through. An example is my wife's mobile -
prefix 629 which was Movistar, but is now a vodafone-es number.

The issue in this case, however, looks suspiciously like a(nother)
Sipgate thang.

Gul Dukat 04-11-2006 02:16 PM

On 11 Apr 2006 01:52:26 -0700, "paul123" <paul@redy.net> wrote:

>Just to add a note on those prefixes. Since number portability was
>introduced the prefix is no longer a sure-fire way of saying which
>operator the number goes through. An example is my wife's mobile -
>prefix 629 which was Movistar, but is now a vodafone-es number.
>
>The issue in this case, however, looks suspiciously like a(nother)
>Sipgate thang.

You are right. Whilst portability isn't used quite as much in Spain as
in the UK, it is possible that 650 and 649 prefixes are no longer on
the Movistar network. In my case however, I do know that the two
people I tried (650 and 649) are still both on Movistar.

Last night I tried a text to another friend who is on Vodafone Es with
a prefix of 627. This worked perfectly.

So it does look like there is a Sipgate problem in sending text to
either the Movistar network or to Movistar prefixes. Thanks for the
help..

blueplatinum 05-30-2007 06:23 PM

I have exactly the same problem when texting to Movistars from Sipgate. Two of the numbers have been ported from Vodfone. I have tried both the 606 and 661 prefixes. Maybe Sipgate dont have an agreement with Movistar ... I remember when international texting first came out (and Movistar was then the only Spanish network I think) it took years before you could send text from a UK network to Spain at all.