Velocity Reviews

-   -   Freetalk, Vonage, BT Broadband Talk - important difference (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t236623-freetalk-vonage-bt-broadband-talk-important-difference.html)

duncan.perrett@elekta.com 04-06-2006 02:50 PM

Freetalk, Vonage, BT Broadband Talk - important difference

I have just bought a Freetalk box. I have yet to activate it. From
what I can gather, the Freetalk and Vonage setups are VERY similar.
However BT has one advantage....

It's ATA or Phone Adapter (in my case it would be a Voyager 10V) has an
extra port to connect to the home's landline circuit.
I believe this means that if someone called your new VOIP phone number,
all your phones would ring and similarly if they called your current
landline phone number - all your phones would ring. Therefore BT's
advantage is that you needn't bother to inform all your friends and
relatives about your new (VOIP) phone number since they can continue to
call you on your current landline phone number.

I am tempted to change from Freetalk to BT because of this.
The only reason I may just keep Freetalk is because my wireless router
(and Ethernet Cable Modem and NTL socket) is not positioned near a
landline socket. I will be connecting the Freetalk box to a cordless
(DECT) base station. So I would have to move everything (or run a long
cable) to take advantage of BT's feature. I will also connect a
regular phone to a landline socket but then my phones will
unfortunately not ring 'as one'.

Another point on VOIP ...

The VOIP vendors are keen on advertising the fact that you can choose
any local area code regardless of your physical location. This is
meant to save your callers money. However, nowadays, there is no cost
difference between a local call and a national call. So it seems
pointless to me unless you are talking internationally.

Any comments?

PhilT 04-06-2006 02:56 PM

Re: Freetalk, Vonage, BT Broadband Talk - important difference

duncan.perr...@elekta.com wrote:

> Therefore BT's
> advantage is that you needn't bother to inform all your friends and
> relatives about your new (VOIP) phone number since they can continue to
> call you on your current landline phone number.

number portability offers the same benefit - ditch the landline ?

> The VOIP vendors are keen on advertising the fact that you can choose
> any local area code regardless of your physical location. This is
> meant to save your callers money. However, nowadays, there is no cost
> difference between a local call and a national call. So it seems
> pointless to me unless you are talking internationally.

Business lines and some other BT tariffs (Light User) do differentiate
the charges to local and long distance still.

Phil

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} 04-06-2006 03:01 PM

Re: Freetalk, Vonage, BT Broadband Talk - important difference

Thus spaketh duncan.perrett@elekta.com:

> The VOIP vendors are keen on advertising the fact that you can choose
> any local area code regardless of your physical location. This is
> meant to save your callers money. However, nowadays, there is no cost
> difference between a local call and a national call. So it seems
> pointless to me unless you are talking internationally.
>
> Any comments?

In addition to my Birmingham numbers, I have a London number, Liverpool
number, Manchester number, and several other areas, these I use like many
others not for people to be able to call at a lower rate, which as you have
noticed for residential customers the rates are the same, but to appear to
be located in those areas.

I have a German number, Italian number, Romanian number and a USA number
too, these are used so it is cheaper for the caller to call.

--
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
3p/min & 1p Texts, EasyMobile, For 5 airtime bonus contact via:

duncan.perrett@elekta.com 04-06-2006 03:05 PM

Re: Freetalk, Vonage, BT Broadband Talk - important difference

Which VOIP providers offer number portability then?

Sean 04-06-2006 03:12 PM

PhilT wrote:

> number portability offers the same benefit - ditch the landline ?

Not much of the UK can get broadband without a BT line.....

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} 04-06-2006 03:14 PM

Re: Freetalk, Vonage, BT Broadband Talk - important difference

Thus spaketh Sean:
> PhilT wrote:
>
>> number portability offers the same benefit - ditch the landline ?

> Not much of the UK can get broadband without a BT line.....

The OP is on NTL.

duncan.perrett@elekta.com 04-06-2006 03:15 PM

Re: Freetalk, Vonage, BT Broadband Talk - important difference

Is having a BT or NTL line relevant to my post?

PhilT 04-06-2006 04:40 PM

Sean wrote:

> Not much of the UK can get broadband without a BT line.....

only half the households.

Phil

PhilT 04-06-2006 04:43 PM

duncan.perrett@elekta.com wrote:
> Is having a BT or NTL line relevant to my post?

yes in that there would be a case for not having a landline if you have
NTL cable internet. Also the local vs national call charges debate is
call carrier specific.

otherwise no.

Phil

M.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk 04-06-2006 05:10 PM

On 6 Apr 2006 07:50:24 -0700, duncan.perrett@elekta.com wrote:

>The VOIP vendors are keen on advertising the fact that you can choose
>any local area code regardless of your physical location. This is
>meant to save your callers money. However, nowadays, there is no cost
>difference between a local call and a national call. So it seems
>pointless to me unless you are talking internationally.
>
>Any comments?

Seems totally pointless to me to have any voip line if you need to
have a landline for internet access .