Velocity Reviews

-   -   Tesco VoIP is IAX based (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t236604-tesco-voip-is-iax-based.html)

PhilT 04-01-2006 03:43 PM

Tesco VoIP is IAX based

If the toy USB phone with its echo and crappy iLBC / Speex 3.3kbytes/s
of bandwidth doesn't appeal you may like to know that Tesco VoIP is
IAX2 protocol via a server 202.148.48.108 registered to an Australian
provider. Username is the geographical phone number, password is the
one you set up on the website / soft phone. Proper codecs are supported
if you use an IAX2 IP phone or the like.

The soft phone is a variant of Firefly / Cubix
http://www.virbiage.com/cubix.php

As it's an IAX2 based service it uses a single port 4569 rather than
the more common SIP based services which use multiple ports.

Inbound geo number selection is not as comprehensive as for example
Sipgate and has a poor selection tool that lists the first 4 numbers
only (0178 for example). Calls 2p/min to 20 countries.
http://www.tescointernetphone.com/

Phil

fred 04-01-2006 04:54 PM

Re: Tesco VoIP is IAX based

I actually find the Tesco Internet phone pretty good value actually. I made
a call to Canada and it was very good quality and at 2p per minute excellent
value for money.
Fred.
news:1143906189.962705.144350@i40g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...

Ivor Jones 04-01-2006 05:26 PM

Re: Tesco VoIP is IAX based

"fred" <frednospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:3fyXf.151934$zk4.107528@fe3.news.blueyonder.c o.uk
> I actually find the Tesco Internet phone pretty good
> value actually. I made a call to Canada and it was very
> good quality and at 2p per minute excellent value for
> money. Fred.

1.5p/min from Sipgate is slightly better but you'll probably find it
cheaper still somewhere..!

Ivor
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Sean 04-01-2006 09:11 PM

Re: Tesco VoIP is IAX based

Ivor Jones wrote:
> "fred" <frednospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:3fyXf.151934$zk4.107528@fe3.news.blueyonder.c o.uk
>> I actually find the Tesco Internet phone pretty good
>> value actually. I made a call to Canada and it was very
>> good quality and at 2p per minute excellent value for
>> money. Fred.

> 1.5p/min from Sipgate is slightly better but you'll probably find it
> cheaper still somewhere..!
>
> Ivor

1.25p per min with BTBBT! :D

But of course... depends what your after... have to pay 'line' rental...
but get 'free' hardware.

Ivor Jones 04-01-2006 09:26 PM

Re: Tesco VoIP is IAX based

"Sean" <seanhardy88NOSPAM@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Ivor Jones wrote:
> > "fred" <frednospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:3fyXf.151934$zk4.107528@fe3.news.blueyonder.c o.uk
> > > I actually find the Tesco Internet phone pretty good
> > > value actually. I made a call to Canada and it was
> > > very good quality and at 2p per minute excellent
> > > value for money. Fred.

> > 1.5p/min from Sipgate is slightly better but you'll
> > probably find it cheaper still somewhere..!
> >
> > Ivor

> 1.25p per min with BTBBT! :D
>
> But of course... depends what your after... have to pay
> 'line' rental... but get 'free' hardware.

Is that charge inclusive of VAT..? Sipgate's charges are quoted with VAT
applied, some (such as Gradwell's) aren't.

Ivor

fred 04-01-2006 10:21 PM

Re: Tesco VoIP is IAX based

"Ivor Jones" <ivor@despammed.invalid> wrote in message

> "Sean" <seanhardy88NOSPAM@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Ivor Jones wrote:
>> > "fred" <frednospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > news:3fyXf.151934$zk4.107528@fe3.news.blueyonder.c o.uk
>> >
>> > 1.5p/min from Sipgate is slightly better but you'll
>> > probably find it cheaper still somewhere..!
>> >
>> > Ivor

>> 1.25p per min with BTBBT! :D
>>
>> But of course... depends what your after... have to pay
>> 'line' rental... but get 'free' hardware.

> Is that charge inclusive of VAT..? Sipgate's charges are quoted with VAT
> applied, some (such as Gradwell's) aren't.
>
> Ivor

Which are you referring to Ivor-Tesco or Sipgate? No VAT charge on Tesco's
2p perminute to Canada.
Fred.

Ivor Jones 04-01-2006 11:24 PM

Re: Tesco VoIP is IAX based

"fred" <frednospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o1DXf.152538$zk4.112830@fe3.news.blueyonder.c o.uk
> "Ivor Jones" <ivor@despammed.invalid> wrote in message
> >

> > "Sean" <seanhardy88NOSPAM@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> > > 1.25p per min with BTBBT! :D
> > >
> > > But of course... depends what your after... have to
> > > pay 'line' rental... but get 'free' hardware.

> > Is that charge inclusive of VAT..? Sipgate's charges
> > are quoted with VAT applied, some (such as Gradwell's)
> > aren't. Ivor
> >

> Which are you referring to Ivor-Tesco or Sipgate? No VAT
> charge on Tesco's 2p perminute to Canada.
> Fred.

Is that no VAT charged on the call or no VAT quoted in your price..?
Sipgate's call charges are quoted inclusive of VAT.

Ivor

I was referring to BTBBT. Sipgate is still bett

Ivor Jones 04-01-2006 11:26 PM

Re: Tesco VoIP is IAX based

"fred" <frednospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o1DXf.152538$zk4.112830@fe3.news.blueyonder.c o.uk

[snip]

Rob Walker 04-02-2006 01:10 AM

Re: Tesco VoIP is IAX based

"fred" <frednospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:3fyXf.151934$zk4.107528@fe3.news.blueyonder.c o.uk...
>I actually find the Tesco Internet phone pretty good value actually. I made
>a call to Canada and it was very good quality and at 2p per minute
>excellent value for money.
> Fred.

This puts me off somewhat though:

Q: How does a Tesco internet phone work?

A: Basically, it's a bit like sending an e-mail as it uses the internet

:-)

Thomas Kenyon 04-02-2006 09:50 AM

Re: Tesco VoIP is IAX based

Rob Walker wrote:
> "fred" <frednospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:3fyXf.151934$zk4.107528@fe3.news.blueyonder.c o.uk...
>> I actually find the Tesco Internet phone pretty good value actually. I made
>> a call to Canada and it was very good quality and at 2p per minute
>> excellent value for money.
>> Fred.

> This puts me off somewhat though:
>
> Q: How does a Tesco internet phone work?
>
> A: Basically, it's a bit like sending an e-mail as it uses the internet
>
> :-)

Heh :-).

Does anyone know why VAT is chargeable on calls made on a mobile on
contract, and charged on a landline subscription service (and voip
services both PAYG and subscription), but isn't charged on Pay as you Go
mobile vouchers. ?