Velocity Reviews

-   -   Separate VLAN for VOIP and data? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t236279-separate-vlan-for-voip-and-data.html)

Rob Nicholson 01-18-2006 01:51 PM

Separate VLAN for VOIP and data?

We're moving to a new office soon so we're re-networking and taking the
opportunity to switch to VOIP. Is traditional wisdom (!) to split the VOIP
and data traffic into two separate LANs?

Thanks, Rob.

Andrew Crane 01-18-2006 02:20 PM

Re: Separate VLAN for VOIP and data?

"Rob Nicholson" <rob_nicholson@nospam_informed-direct.com> wrote in message
> We're moving to a new office soon so we're re-networking and taking the
> opportunity to switch to VOIP. Is traditional wisdom (!) to split the VOIP
> and data traffic into two separate LANs?

This kind of negates the whole purpose of VOIP. I would however prioritise
VOIP traffic out of your network.

Regards
Andrew

--
Inweb Networks. Quality internet and telecoms services
Sales: 08000 612222 Support: 08704322222. http://www.inweb.co.uk

Sauron 01-18-2006 03:22 PM

Re: Separate VLAN for VOIP and data?

"Rob Nicholson" <rob_nicholson@nospam_informed-direct.com> wrote in message
We're moving to a new office soon so we're re-networking and taking the
opportunity to switch to VOIP. Is traditional wisdom (!) to split the VOIP
and data traffic into two separate LANs?

Thanks, Rob.

-----------------------------------

You could either setup QOS to ensure that the calls get the bandwidth they
need, and or you can use VLAN, I would use QOS because when VOIP aint in use
the bandwidth can be used else where.

Colin Forrester 01-18-2006 03:22 PM

Rob Nicholson wrote:
> We're moving to a new office soon so we're re-networking and taking the
> opportunity to switch to VOIP. Is traditional wisdom (!) to split the VOIP
> and data traffic into two separate LANs?

Not unreasonable. A site I work at splits the VOIP traffic off the SDSL
router using a VLAN arrangement directly to the VOIP card in the switch.
The rest of the traffic passes to a series of Nokia switch/firewalls.

Tim Bray 01-18-2006 03:28 PM

Rob Nicholson wrote:
> We're moving to a new office soon so we're re-networking and taking the
> opportunity to switch to VOIP. Is traditional wisdom (!) to split the VOIP
> and data traffic into two separate LANs?

That is the Cisco way of doing it to sell lots of vlan capable switches. :)

It doesn't make that much difference unless you are likely to saturate
your local network. Most switches will let you set the priority of the
packet using part of the vlan indentifier.

Tim

Rob Nicholson 01-18-2006 06:31 PM

Re: Separate VLAN for VOIP and data?

> Not unreasonable. A site I work at splits the VOIP traffic off the SDSL
> router using a VLAN arrangement directly to the VOIP card in the switch.
> The rest of the traffic passes to a series of Nokia switch/firewalls.

That's the kind of thing we're thinking about.

Rob.

Rob Nicholson 01-18-2006 06:33 PM

Re: Separate VLAN for VOIP and data?

> need, and or you can use VLAN, I would use QOS because when VOIP aint in
> use
> the bandwidth can be used else where.

Is QOS a packet level kind of thing?

Reason I ask is that we sometimes have a little local switch on the desk
when network ports are limited. Therefore the VOIP and data traffic for
(say) four PCs & telephones would be travelling up the same wire to the
switch. Would the QoS feature on the switch still work/help here?

Thanks, Rob.

alexd 01-18-2006 06:58 PM

Rob Nicholson wrote:

> We're moving to a new office soon so we're re-networking and taking the
> opportunity to switch to VOIP.
> Is traditional wisdom (!)

The traditional wisdom is to use Primary Rate ;-)

> to split the VOIP and data traffic into two separate LANs?

It's possible to achieve QoS without two separate LANs. Many VoIP phones [eg
Mitels] come with a passthrough ethernet port, so that if you have a phone
at each desk, and a workstation plugged into the phone, the phone
prioritises the voice traffic over the data traffic. It's also a good idea
to prioritise voice traffic going out of/into your network over your
internet connection or whatever.

alexd
--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (gebssnfxl@ubgznvy.pbz)
18:53:02 up 2 days, 23:07, 2 users, load average: 0.08, 0.15, 0.15

IMPI 01-18-2006 07:51 PM

Re: Separate VLAN for VOIP and data?

It is advisible to seperate voice and data traffic into seperate vlans.
Even with Qos enabled you can still get distortion on the ip phones if they
share the same vlan as the data vlan due to broadcast traffic.
Regards
IMPI

Rob Nicholson 01-18-2006 08:12 PM

Re: Separate VLAN for VOIP and data?

> prioritises the voice traffic over the data traffic. It's also a good idea
> to prioritise voice traffic going out of/into your network over your
> internet connection or whatever.

Ahh, that's useful to know. We're considering Swyx at the moment and they
sell phones with two Ethernet ports. I thought this was just a way of saving
network sockets (in effect a little two port switch) but if they also add
prioritisation as well, then that's obviously better.

We're not brave enough yet to go VOIP over the internet :-) We'll be
sticking with an ISDN-30 line for now.

Thanks, Rob.