Velocity Reviews

-   -   Is it worth it ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t235842-is-it-worth-it.html)

¬Stephen Hammond 10-02-2005 06:52 PM

Is it worth it ?

I've a BT account (NTL isn't available here) and 1899 account and 2Mbp
broadband served by a wireless router (linksys Wag54g)

Is it possible to use voip with router and turn the computer off.

Ideally www.voipcheap.co.uk looks like the only thing worthwhile is it
possible to program a internet phone to use it ?

help !!

Thanks

Stephen

davew 10-02-2005 07:06 PM

Re: Is it worth it ?

¬Stephen Hammond wrote:
> I've a BT account (NTL isn't available here) and 1899 account and 2Mbp
> broadband served by a wireless router (linksys Wag54g)
>
> Is it possible to use voip with router and turn the computer off.

Yes, You will need a VOIP IP phone (to plug into the router) or a
ATA(FXS) adapter to plug a normal telephone handset into it.

Not currently - however it's sister company www.voipbuster.com works great!

¬Stephen Hammond 10-02-2005 08:48 PM

Re: Is it worth it ?

>> I've a BT account (NTL isn't available here) and 1899 account and 2Mbp
>> broadband served by a wireless router (linksys Wag54g)
>>
>> Is it possible to use voip with router and turn the computer off.

> Yes, You will need a VOIP IP phone (to plug into the router) or a
> ATA(FXS) adapter to plug a normal telephone handset into it.
>

>> Ideally www.voipcheap.co.uk looks like the only thing worthwhile is it
>> possible to program a internet phone to use it ?

> Not currently - however it's sister company www.voipbuster.com works
> great!

OK thanks very helpful and I'm hopeful !

Where can I buy either an ATA (FXS) adaptor or a VOIP phone (to plug into
the router).

How would I set up the phone as the voipbuster website looks like it only
has software to download to a computer and no settings for a voip phone,
unless I'm mistaken which is possible ;)

Stephen

7 10-02-2005 08:53 PM

Re: Is it worth it ?

¬Stephen Hammond wrote:

> I've a BT account (NTL isn't available here) and 1899 account and 2Mbp
> broadband served by a wireless router (linksys Wag54g)
>
> Is it possible to use voip with router and turn the computer off.
>
> Ideally www.voipcheap.co.uk looks like the only thing worthwhile is it
> possible to program a internet phone to use it ?

The wireless router needs additional ports added with a switch or a hub.
Then you can install a PAP2 box and connect to ethernet. The PAP2 gives 2
ordinary phone lines to which you can connect plain old telephones,
or the DECT phones if you want wireless. Todate, only settings for
voipfone.co.uk mentioned in this group worked for me with PAP2.

(I would dearly like to have it working with voipbuster.com if anyone
has it working fully and wish to share the settings for PAP2.)

peter 10-02-2005 08:56 PM

Re: Is it worth it ?

Check out
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.te...89e853016e2661

for voipbuster set up on PAP2 :)

davew 10-02-2005 09:29 PM

Re: Is it worth it ?

7 wrote:

> The wireless router needs additional ports added with a switch or a hub.

It seems that the WAG54G has a 4 port switch built in, so it should be fine.

davew 10-02-2005 09:34 PM

Re: Is it worth it ?

¬Stephen Hammond wrote:

> OK thanks very helpful and I'm hopeful !
>
> Where can I buy either an ATA (FXS) adaptor or a VOIP phone (to plug into
> the router).

I'm afraid were not allowed to help in that respect - We will get a
telling off from Ivor if you post a supplier.

However, make sure you buy an 'unlocked' version - not one locked to a
supplier. It seems they are available for around £40, i have good
things about them. I don't personally use the bit of kit but i would
recommend an ATA over a VOIP phone, as somebody else said, so you can
plug in a 'normal' phone (inc. cordless)

Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk 10-02-2005 10:01 PM

Re: Is it worth it ?

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 22:34:40 +0100, davew
<daviey.walker*SPAM*virgin.net> wrote:

>I'm afraid were not allowed to help in that respect - We will get a
>telling off from Ivor if you post a supplier.

God almighty how many more people are scared shitless of Ivor the
terrible here ?.

Tone 10-03-2005 06:52 AM

Re: Is it worth it ?

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 23:01:16 +0100, Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

>On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 22:34:40 +0100, davew
><daviey.walker*SPAM*virgin.net> wrote:
>

>>I'm afraid were not allowed to help in that respect - We will get a
>>telling off from Ivor if you post a supplier.

>God almighty how many more people are scared shitless of Ivor the
>terrible here ?.

You are sounding more and more like Turtill

--

Just livin the Vida Sofa

Tone 10-03-2005 06:53 AM

Re: Is it worth it ?

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 19:52:27 +0100, "¬Stephen Hammond"
<Stephen7372@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I've a BT account (NTL isn't available here) and 1899 account and 2Mbp
>broadband served by a wireless router (linksys Wag54g)
>
>Is it possible to use voip with router and turn the computer off.
>
>Ideally www.voipcheap.co.uk looks like the only thing worthwhile is it
>possible to program a internet phone to use it ?

Just get Sipgate, phone plugs into your Modem/router with the pooter
being on

--

Just livin the Vida Sofa