Velocity Reviews

-   -   How can you here when you've got a call through a headset? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t235800-how-can-you-here-when-youve-got-a-call-through-a-headset.html)

OM 09-26-2005 09:03 PM

How can you here when you've got a call through a headset?

This might sound dumb... but:

You've got a headset with microphone.
Both leads are plugged into your soundcard, speakers and mic.
At the computer, you've got your headset on... so you know when you've
got a call.

But... then you go for a cup of tea...
You get a call... you can't hear that you've got a call.
Problem?

How do you over come this?

Thanks!

OM

Jono 09-26-2005 09:10 PM

Re: How can you here when you've got a call through a headset?

OM wrote:
|| This might sound dumb... but:
|| You've got a headset with microphone.
|| Both leads are plugged into your soundcard, speakers and mic.
|| At the computer, you've got your headset on... so you know when
|| you've got a call.
|| But... then you go for a cup of tea...
|| You get a call... you can't hear that you've got a call.
|| Problem?
|| How do you over come this?
|| Thanks!
|| OM

Use a splitter to connect speakers & headphones to the soundcard, on the
same jack.

When you get a call, simply turn the speaker volume down (assuming they have
a volume control)

Ivor Jones 09-26-2005 09:12 PM

"OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1127768597.841106.156730@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com
> This might sound dumb... but:
>
> You've got a headset with microphone.
> Both leads are plugged into your soundcard, speakers and
> mic.
> At the computer, you've got your headset on... so you
> know when you've got a call.
>
> But... then you go for a cup of tea...
> You get a call... you can't hear that you've got a call.
> Problem?
>
> How do you over come this?
>
> Thanks!
>

> OM

Use a hardware phone that you can hear ringing..?

Ivor

themgt 09-26-2005 10:50 PM

OM wrote:
> This might sound dumb... but:
>
> You've got a headset with microphone.
> Both leads are plugged into your soundcard, speakers and mic.
> At the computer, you've got your headset on... so you know when you've
> got a call.
>
> But... then you go for a cup of tea...
> You get a call... you can't hear that you've got a call.
> Problem?
>
> How do you over come this?

There are USB headsets. You can then (on Xlite anyway) use a different
device (your soundcard & speakers) for the ringer.

Mark Adamson 09-27-2005 04:31 PM

Re: How can you here when you've got a call through a headset?

> This might sound dumb... but:
>
> You've got a headset with microphone.
> Both leads are plugged into your soundcard, speakers and mic.
> At the computer, you've got your headset on... so you know when you've
> got a call.
>
> But... then you go for a cup of tea...
> You get a call... you can't hear that you've got a call.
> Problem?
>
> How do you over come this?

My solution makes use of the headphones port on the "remote" for my creative
speakers.

I have an extension lead running from my mic port to the remote. I always
have the mic of my headset plugged in, and then when I recieve a call (heard
through my normal speakers), I just plug my headset speaker into the port on
the remote.

It sounds complicated, but is actually really simple and works great. I am
able to control my headphone volume from the remote.

Mark