Velocity Reviews

-   -   Skype - video. Any experiences of success? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t235739-skype-video-any-experiences-of-success.html)

km 09-18-2005 07:03 PM

Skype - video. Any experiences of success?

I recently started reading about VOIP and received help in this
Newsgroup. As a result I gave Skype a try and found it to be very
good.

Reading further I note that Spontania4IM plug-in should allow video
contact but during my own attempt the "connecting" message never
progressed to making a connection.

A Google search suggests this may be a continuing problem. I see that
vSkype.com is also offering a plug-in for Video.

Has anyone used Spontania successfully and what experiences have
people had of vSkype?

KM

Mark Adamson 09-18-2005 07:29 PM

Re: Skype - video. Any experiences of success?

> Reading further I note that Spontania4IM plug-in should allow video
> contact but during my own attempt the "connecting" message never
> progressed to making a connection.
>
> A Google search suggests this may be a continuing problem. I see that
> vSkype.com is also offering a plug-in for Video.
>
> Has anyone used Spontania successfully and what experiences have
> people had of vSkype?

I think I had issues with spontania too. I got vSkype to work though. Give
it a go. I am sure skype will release an official update with video soon
enough. Otherwise, use yahoo or msn or AIM, all of which might work
depending on your luck!

Stephane M 09-18-2005 09:34 PM

"km" <kev@m.fr.co.uk> wrote in message
>I recently started reading about VOIP and received help in this
> Newsgroup. As a result I gave Skype a try and found it to be very
> good.
>
> Reading further I note that Spontania4IM plug-in should allow video
> contact but during my own attempt the "connecting" message never
> progressed to making a connection.
>
> A Google search suggests this may be a continuing problem. I see that
> vSkype.com is also offering a plug-in for Video.
>
> Has anyone used Spontania successfully and what experiences have
> people had of vSkype?
>
> KM

I am also using Vskype . Seems to be OK in term of connecting.
Unfortunately, I think that the "audio" is not so great. (May be my speakers
or my systems..)
The trick I use; leave your webcam opened, close the microphone and call him
with your Voip phone ... seems to me better ! :-)

km 09-19-2005 07:59 AM

Re: Skype - video. Any experiences of success?

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 20:29:58 +0100, "Mark Adamson"
<fliblebibble@adamsonfdfgdf.com> wrote:

>> Reading further I note that Spontania4IM plug-in should allow video
>> contact but during my own attempt the "connecting" message never
>> progressed to making a connection.
>>
>> A Google search suggests this may be a continuing problem. I see that
>> vSkype.com is also offering a plug-in for Video.
>>
>> Has anyone used Spontania successfully and what experiences have
>> people had of vSkype?
>>

>I think I had issues with spontania too. I got vSkype to work though. Give
>it a go. I am sure skype will release an official update with video soon
>enough. Otherwise, use yahoo or msn or AIM, all of which might work
>depending on your luck!

Thanks. The VOIP activity is what I am interested in. A computer club
presentation about VOIP has been prepared and I was moving on to video
to show the direction it may take.

Have not yet taken the vSkype option. Initially wanted to be sure
which worked. Presumably from your experience, there was no conlict
after loading Spontania and then vSkype?

KM

lostinthe530 09-25-2005 04:41 AM

Re: Skype - video. Any experiences of success?

vSkype is now Festoon and the www.vskype website is down due to
copyright issues. vSkype has been renamed Festoon and has commercial
advertising :-(

I have never been able to get Spontania4IM to work with my older
webcam, so I will remain with Festoon for now. It can be downloaded at
www.festooninc.com.

Now that Google hav purchased Skype, I hope they will add build-in
video chat into their next release.

Me 09-25-2005 07:48 AM

Re: Skype - video. Any experiences of success?

On 24 Sep 2005 21:41:31 -0700, "lostinthe530" <lostinthe530@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Now that Google hav purchased Skype,

Last time I looked it was Ebay, not Google that ha purchased Skype

Me

Robert Cole 12-04-2005 02:25 PM

Re: Skype - video. Any experiences of success?

There is a new version of skype(2.0 Beta) with built in video iv downloaded
it but i havnt used it yet.

Me 12-04-2005 05:24 PM

Re: Skype - video. Any experiences of success?

So use it!

It's fine - full screen video

Me