Velocity Reviews

-   -   Skype - Brussels to UK (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t235728-skype-brussels-to-uk.html)

XXXX??? 09-14-2005 09:33 PM

Skype - Brussels to UK

Hi all,

I've just started using Skype to VOIP from Brussels to UK. I'm using a
supposedly 6Mb cable DSL service and my wife is on a 2Mb broadband
product at home.

Problem is, it's so laggy as to be virtually unusable. Half an hour
using this is 20 mins of "Hello" "Hello" <click>.

How can I make this work better or is that par for the course with VOIP?

Thanks for any help,

Paul Cupis 09-14-2005 10:11 PM

Re: Skype - Brussels to UK

XXXX??? wrote:
> I've just started using Skype to VOIP from Brussels to UK. I'm using a
> supposedly 6Mb cable DSL service and my wife is on a 2Mb broadband
> product at home.

What is the upstream speed of your 6Mb DSL? I assume the 2Mb DSL is BT
IPStream and has an upstream of 256kbps?

> Problem is, it's so laggy as to be virtually unusable. Half an hour
> using this is 20 mins of "Hello" "Hello" <click>.
>
> How can I make this work better or is that par for the course with VOIP?

What do yuo get if you ping one DSL from the other? What about a
traceroute between the sites?

Paul Westwell 09-14-2005 10:41 PM

Re: Skype - Brussels to UK

This is not the course for VOIP or Skype.

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} 09-15-2005 05:02 AM

Re: Skype - Brussels to UK

Thus spaketh XXXX???:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just started using Skype to VOIP from Brussels to UK. I'm using a
> supposedly 6Mb cable DSL service and my wife is on a 2Mb broadband
> product at home.
>
> Problem is, it's so laggy as to be virtually unusable. Half an hour
> using this is 20 mins of "Hello" "Hello" <click>.
>
> How can I make this work better or is that par for the course with
> VOIP?
>
> Thanks for any help,

Give www.sipgate.co.uk a try, use a UK proxy to get a UK number or get your
Wife in the UK to sign up for both herself and yourself.

You could also give www.voipbuster.com a try too.

XXXX??? 09-15-2005 06:29 AM

Re: Skype - Brussels to UK

In article <dga75r$fb5$1@custnews.inweb.co.uk>, paul@cupis.co.uk says...
> XXXX??? wrote:
> > I've just started using Skype to VOIP from Brussels to UK. I'm using a
> > supposedly 6Mb cable DSL service and my wife is on a 2Mb broadband
> > product at home.

> What is the upstream speed of your 6Mb DSL? I assume the 2Mb DSL is BT
> IPStream and has an upstream of 256kbps?
>
> > Problem is, it's so laggy as to be virtually unusable. Half an hour
> > using this is 20 mins of "Hello" "Hello" <click>.
> >
> > How can I make this work better or is that par for the course with VOIP?

> What do yuo get if you ping one DSL from the other? What about a
> traceroute between the sites?

The upstream from here is supposedly 192 kbps.

Forgive my ignorance but although I know the function of traceroute and
ping, what exactly should I be pinging, my wife's IP address? (Because
if so, I'll have to get that this weekend when I get home - the missus
isn't that technically minded).

Thanks all for replies BTW.

Me 09-15-2005 07:30 AM

Re: Skype - Brussels to UK

>Forgive my ignorance but although I know the function of traceroute and
>ping, what exactly should I be pinging, my wife's IP address? (Because
>if so, I'll have to get that this weekend when I get home - the missus
>isn't that technically minded).

If she visits this website http://www.whatismyip.com/ it will tell her
her external IP address

Me

JPG 09-15-2005 11:05 AM

Re: Skype - Brussels to UK

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 08:29:21 +0200, XXXX??? <yy@xx.com> wrote:

>In article <dga75r$fb5$1@custnews.inweb.co.uk>, paul@cupis.co.uk says...
>> XXXX??? wrote:
>> > I've just started using Skype to VOIP from Brussels to UK. I'm using a
>> > supposedly 6Mb cable DSL service and my wife is on a 2Mb broadband
>> > product at home.

>> What is the upstream speed of your 6Mb DSL? I assume the 2Mb DSL is BT
>> IPStream and has an upstream of 256kbps?
>>
>> > Problem is, it's so laggy as to be virtually unusable. Half an hour
>> > using this is 20 mins of "Hello" "Hello" <click>.
>> >
>> > How can I make this work better or is that par for the course with VOIP?

>> What do yuo get if you ping one DSL from the other? What about a
>> traceroute between the sites?
>>

>The upstream from here is supposedly 192 kbps.
>
>Forgive my ignorance but although I know the function of traceroute and
>ping, what exactly should I be pinging, my wife's IP address? (Because
>if so, I'll have to get that this weekend when I get home - the missus
>isn't that technically minded).

Just get her to go to Start> Run and then type ipconfig <Enter> into the box.

IP address is then clearly displayed.

JPG

Ivor Jones 09-15-2005 11:18 AM

Re: Skype - Brussels to UK

"JPG" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 08:29:21 +0200, XXXX??? <yy@xx.com>
> wrote:

[snip]

> > Forgive my ignorance but although I know the function
> > of traceroute and ping, what exactly should I be
> > pinging, my wife's IP address? (Because if so, I'll
> > have to get that this weekend when I get home - the
> > missus isn't that technically minded).
> >

> Just get her to go to Start> Run and then type ipconfig
> <Enter> into the box.
>
> IP address is then clearly displayed.

That doesn't work on my copy of WinXP Pro - I have to go to "Command
Prompt" and open up a "DOS" window first.

In any case that command will only give the local PC's IP address. If it
is behind a NAT router it won't display the public IP address and it will
be useless for ping or traceroute purposes, in this case you will have to
look on the main config screen on the router to check.

Ivor

LordSmickerAbacha 09-15-2005 11:46 AM

Re: Skype - Brussels to UK

Eyvor youre doinga good job of keeping quiet arent you babe.

paul ockenden 09-15-2005 12:51 PM

Re: Skype - Brussels to UK

> Eyvor youre doinga good job of keeping quiet arent you babe.

That's it - I'm out of here. Off to see if I can find a VOIP forum which
isn't populated by retards continually trying (but ultimately failing) to
score points off each other.

It's a real shame that just two or three idiots are wrecking what could
otherwise be a very valuable resource. And all they end up doing is
making themselves look pathetic (with much of that negative image
also rubbing off on the services they can't stop promoting).

Oh well, hope to see most of you somewhere else, and hope NOT to
see some of you ever again.

I wish I could say it's been fun...

P.