Velocity Reviews

-   -   Routers as opposed to ATAs (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t235590-routers-as-opposed-to-atas.html)

Andrew Hodgson 08-20-2005 10:13 AM

Routers as opposed to ATAs

Hi all,

I am thinking of going with a VOIP service to use as an extra line,
for cheaper phone calls. This is primarily for when my sister calls
friends in the UK for longer periods, tying up the regular phone line.

There are two possible ways to do this: Get an ATA, give it an IP
address on the LAN (using a public address). Or, I could get a router
with VOIP capability, and it can use the IP of the router to make the
calls. Also, I have seen some routers give automatic prioritisation
to VOIP calls, whereas if it was on the LAN side, I would have to
manually set this up through the firebrick.

Any suggestions? Am I better off sticking with BT 6p a minute option
for evening calls that last for a lengthy period?

Thanks.
Andrew.
My Email: use <andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org>.

Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk 08-20-2005 11:28 AM

Re: Routers as opposed to ATAs

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 11:13:35 +0100, Andrew Hodgson <me3@privacy.net>
wrote:

> I would have to
>manually set this up through the firebrick.

Parden me but I would think you would be much better using a modem or
a router I cannot see any connectors or anything on our firebricks all
I can see on ours are scorch marks from the flames of the fire !! .
Never heard of firebricks being used in connection with the internet
or computers in general they usually found around fireplaces .

Sean 08-20-2005 11:30 AM

Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

> Parden me but I would think you would be much better using a modem or
> a router I cannot see any connectors or anything on our firebricks all
> I can see on ours are scorch marks from the flames of the fire !! .
> Never heard of firebricks being used in connection with the internet
> or computers in general they usually found around fireplaces .

Think he means firewall :)

Ivor Jones 08-20-2005 12:01 PM

"Andrew Hodgson" <me3@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I am thinking of going with a VOIP service to use as an
> extra line, for cheaper phone calls. This is primarily
> for when my sister calls friends in the UK for longer
> periods, tying up the regular phone line.
>
> There are two possible ways to do this: Get an ATA, give
> it an IP address on the LAN (using a public address).
> Or, I could get a router with VOIP capability, and it can
> use the IP of the router to make the calls. Also, I have
> seen some routers give automatic prioritisation to VOIP
> calls, whereas if it was on the LAN side, I would have to
> manually set this up through the firebrick.
>
> Any suggestions? Am I better off sticking with BT 6p a
> minute option for evening calls that last for a lengthy
> period?
>
> Thanks.
> Andrew.

If you're looking for a recommendation for a specific unit, the only one I
have personal experience of is the AVM Fritz!Box Fon which is an "all in
one" box containing an ADSL modem, an ATA (single Ethernet port so you'd
need a switch or hub to connect multiple computers, although it does also
have a USB port) and two analogue phone ports.

Each of the phone ports can be configured separately with different
accounts from the same or different providers and each of the two phones
connected can be made to ring for calls on either or both numbers. You can
ring between them as well as a sort of mini-PBX.

There is also a PSTN phone port which can be connected to either an
ordinary analogue BT line (the phone port of the ADSL splitter) or an ISDN
line. This will provide fallback if the VoIP system isn't working for some
reason, or you can use it to set up dialling rules so that calls to
mobiles or 0870 numbers go via BT, as a lot of VoIP providers charge more
than BT for calls to these numbers.

It does have QoS to give priority to VoIP calls as well, which needs no
setting up.

More info at www.avm.de/en if you want to have a look

Ivor

PS to Dex and Stefan no I don't have any connection with the company, even
though they are German..!

PC999 08-20-2005 12:08 PM

"Ivor Jones" <ivor@despammed.invalid> wrote in message

> "Andrew Hodgson" <me3@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am thinking of going with a VOIP service to use as an
>> extra line, for cheaper phone calls. This is primarily
>> for when my sister calls friends in the UK for longer
>> periods, tying up the regular phone line.
>>
>> There are two possible ways to do this: Get an ATA, give
>> it an IP address on the LAN (using a public address).
>> Or, I could get a router with VOIP capability, and it can
>> use the IP of the router to make the calls. Also, I have
>> seen some routers give automatic prioritisation to VOIP
>> calls, whereas if it was on the LAN side, I would have to
>> manually set this up through the firebrick.
>>
>> Any suggestions? Am I better off sticking with BT 6p a
>> minute option for evening calls that last for a lengthy
>> period?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Andrew.

> If you're looking for a recommendation for a specific unit, the only one I
> have personal experience of is the AVM Fritz!Box Fon which is an "all in
> one" box containing an ADSL modem, an ATA (single Ethernet port so you'd
> need a switch or hub to connect multiple computers, although it does also
> have a USB port) and two analogue phone ports.
>
> Each of the phone ports can be configured separately with different
> accounts from the same or different providers and each of the two phones
> connected can be made to ring for calls on either or both numbers. You can
> ring between them as well as a sort of mini-PBX.
>
> There is also a PSTN phone port which can be connected to either an
> ordinary analogue BT line (the phone port of the ADSL splitter) or an ISDN
> line. This will provide fallback if the VoIP system isn't working for some
> reason, or you can use it to set up dialling rules so that calls to
> mobiles or 0870 numbers go via BT, as a lot of VoIP providers charge more
> than BT for calls to these numbers.
>
> It does have QoS to give priority to VoIP calls as well, which needs no
> setting up.
>
> More info at www.avm.de/en if you want to have a look
>
> Ivor
>
> PS to Dex and Stefan no I don't have any connection with the company, even
> though they are German..!

i wasnt even going to make that suggestion ivor lovey

Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk 08-20-2005 12:32 PM

Re: Routers as opposed to ATAs

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 13:01:21 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
<ivor@despammed.invalid> wrote:

>PS to Dex and Stefan no I don't have any connection with the company, even
>though they are German..!

Well you do go on about this "AVM Fritz!Box Fon" also Ivor so we can
put it down to just another of your obsessions then Ivor .
By the way Ivor that other great and very expensive product we spoke
on the phone the other day, the manufactures have now admitted that it
is very buggy when operated in that particular mode .

Ivor Jones 08-20-2005 12:44 PM

<Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 13:01:21 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
> <ivor@despammed.invalid> wrote:

[snip]

> > PS to Dex and Stefan no I don't have any connection
> > with the company, even though they are German..!

> Well you do go on about this "AVM Fritz!Box Fon" also
> Ivor so we can put it down to just another of your
> obsessions then Ivor .

If by "going on" about it you mean recommending it, then you're right, I
do, I think it's a great piece of kit. Obsession..? I wouldn't go that
far.

Ivor

PC999 08-20-2005 01:10 PM

> <Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 13:01:21 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
>> <ivor@despammed.invalid> wrote:

> [snip]
>
>> > PS to Dex and Stefan no I don't have any connection
>> > with the company, even though they are German..!

>> Well you do go on about this "AVM Fritz!Box Fon" also
>> Ivor so we can put it down to just another of your
>> obsessions then Ivor .

> If by "going on" about it you mean recommending it, then you're right, I
> do, I think it's a great piece of kit. Obsession..? I wouldn't go that
> far.
>
> Ivor

sipgate is your obsession ivor lovey

Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk 08-20-2005 01:28 PM

Re: Routers as opposed to ATAs

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 13:44:27 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
<ivor@despammed.invalid> wrote:

>If by "going on" about it you mean recommending it, then you're right, I
>do, I think it's a great piece of kit. Obsession..? I wouldn't go that
>far.

Personally I think it is a horrible looking thing now the Sipura 2000
is a different thing altogether a great looking object mind you I have
always liked things that are straight and square . I am not all that
pleased with the Linksys routers due to the slightly curved apperance
they have when you look at them from the front :)) .

Rupert 08-20-2005 02:01 PM

http://www.firebrick.co.uk/