Velocity Reviews

-   -   BT-101 - dodgy dc connector - corrupted flash - cure found? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t235469-bt-101-dodgy-dc-connector-corrupted-flash-cure-found.html)

Alan Foster 07-24-2005 10:23 AM

BT-101 - dodgy dc connector - corrupted flash - cure found?

Hi all

Just in case this is a common problem I offer the following info:

All owners of BT-100's will know that the power connector is decidedly
dodgy, and I have now experienced a real heart-stopping moment as a result!

Tried to reconfigure for an alternative service provider and whilst
rebooting, the power failed briefly and phone refused to complete the boot
process. Power cycling did not help - it would sit there flashing its
led's all day with an incomplete boot. If I lifted the hook, it would
settle down and allow access through the web interface, but would not
connect.

With the web interface accessed, I tried changing all the configuration
back to exactly as it was before and tried another reboot. Same thing...
wouldn't complete the reboot - or to be more precise, wouldn't log on...
just sat there flashing its bloody lights! It seemed that the flash
memory was corrupted!

I decided that before I did anything else I would sort out the dodgy power
supply. The plug was found to be a 2.5mm internal, and the socket a 2.1mm
pin! I replaced the plug on the power supply lead.

Now with good power I tried everything again, but it was no good, although
configuration changes could be made, the boot cycle would not complete.

In total desperation - 'what have I got to loose, it's about to go in the
bin' mode - I went for the option to reset to factory default. However, I
as I began to enter the MAC address, it connected!!! I hadn't even
completed the reset operation... say no more... cancel the reset and try
the phone.

Made a call from my landline to the VoIP number, and it worked!!!

Don't know whether the half reset will cure everybody's frozen BT-100
though, so the moral of this tale is:

***** Change the power plug to the correct size *****

Regards
Alan.

Ivor Jones 07-24-2005 07:16 PM

Re: BT-101 - dodgy dc connector - corrupted flash - cure found?

Alan Foster wrote:

[snip]

> Don't know whether the half reset will cure everybody's frozen
> BT-100 though, so the moral of this tale is:
>
> ***** Change the power plug to the correct size *****
>
> Regards
> Alan.

Thanks for the info, Alan, don't use the beast myself but I'm sure it will
be of help to somebody.

BTW I didn't hear from you re. the Fritz!Box Fon, please let me know if
you still want any help with it. The email address that I gave you to
reply to before doesn't appear to be working at the moment, but let me
know here and I'll sort out an alternative if necessary.

Ivor

Graham 07-24-2005 07:42 PM

"Alan Foster" <nochance@all.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> Just in case this is a common problem I offer the following info:
>
> All owners of BT-100's will know that the power connector is decidedly
> dodgy, and I have now experienced a real heart-stopping moment as a

result!

> Tried to reconfigure for an alternative service provider and whilst
> rebooting, the power failed briefly and phone refused to complete the boot
> process. Power cycling did not help - it would sit there flashing its
> led's all day with an incomplete boot. If I lifted the hook, it would
> settle down and allow access through the web interface, but would not
> connect.
>
> With the web interface accessed, I tried changing all the configuration
> back to exactly as it was before and tried another reboot. Same thing...
> wouldn't complete the reboot - or to be more precise, wouldn't log on...
> just sat there flashing its bloody lights! It seemed that the flash
> memory was corrupted!
>
> I decided that before I did anything else I would sort out the dodgy power
> supply. The plug was found to be a 2.5mm internal, and the socket a 2.1mm
> pin! I replaced the plug on the power supply lead.
>
> Now with good power I tried everything again, but it was no good, although
> configuration changes could be made, the boot cycle would not complete.
>
> In total desperation - 'what have I got to loose, it's about to go in the
> bin' mode - I went for the option to reset to factory default. However, I
> as I began to enter the MAC address, it connected!!! I hadn't even
> completed the reset operation... say no more... cancel the reset and try
> the phone.
>
> Made a call from my landline to the VoIP number, and it worked!!!
>
> Don't know whether the half reset will cure everybody's frozen BT-100
> though, so the moral of this tale is:
>
> ***** Change the power plug to the correct size *****
>
> Regards
> Alan.
>
> --
> Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:

I have often wondered why two connectors with such a microscopic difference
were developed.

I wonder if one was originally made to an imperial measurement?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Nick 07-24-2005 08:23 PM

"Graham" <me@privicy.net> wrote in message news:42e3eea0_1@x-privat.org...

> "Alan Foster" <nochance@all.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all
> >
> > Just in case this is a common problem I offer the following info:
> >
> > All owners of BT-100's will know that the power connector is decidedly
> > dodgy, and I have now experienced a real heart-stopping moment as a

> result!
> >
> > Tried to reconfigure for an alternative service provider and whilst
> > rebooting, the power failed briefly and phone refused to complete the

boot
> > process. Power cycling did not help - it would sit there flashing its
> > led's all day with an incomplete boot. If I lifted the hook, it would
> > settle down and allow access through the web interface, but would not
> > connect.
> >
> > With the web interface accessed, I tried changing all the configuration
> > back to exactly as it was before and tried another reboot. Same

thing...
> > wouldn't complete the reboot - or to be more precise, wouldn't log on...
> > just sat there flashing its bloody lights! It seemed that the flash
> > memory was corrupted!
> >
> > I decided that before I did anything else I would sort out the dodgy

power
> > supply. The plug was found to be a 2.5mm internal, and the socket a

2.1mm
> > pin! I replaced the plug on the power supply lead.
> >
> > Now with good power I tried everything again, but it was no good,

although
> > configuration changes could be made, the boot cycle would not complete.
> >
> > In total desperation - 'what have I got to loose, it's about to go in

the
> > bin' mode - I went for the option to reset to factory default. However,

> > as I began to enter the MAC address, it connected!!! I hadn't even
> > completed the reset operation... say no more... cancel the reset and try
> > the phone.
> >
> > Made a call from my landline to the VoIP number, and it worked!!!
> >
> > Don't know whether the half reset will cure everybody's frozen BT-100
> > though, so the moral of this tale is:
> >
> > ***** Change the power plug to the correct size *****
> >
> > Regards
> > Alan.
> >
> > --
> > Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:

> I have often wondered why two connectors with such a microscopic

difference
> were developed.
>
> I wonder if one was originally made to an imperial measurement?
>

> --
> Graham.
>

> %Profound_observation%

"microscopic difference"? Hardly, 0.4m/m or 0.01574" or very nearly
1/64" can't be described as "microscopic".

Graham 07-24-2005 08:46 PM

Re: BT-101 - dodgy dc connector - corrupted flash - cure found?

> > I have often wondered why two connectors with such a microscopic
> difference
> > were developed.
> >
> > I wonder if one was originally made to an imperial measurement?
> >

> > Graham.

> "microscopic difference"? Hardly, 0.4m/m or 0.01574" or very nearly
> 1/64" can't be described as "microscopic".

Speak for yourself Nick,
With my eyesight I will be lucky to find the socket.
;-)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

JC 07-25-2005 12:48 AM

Re: BT-101 - dodgy dc connector - corrupted flash - cure found?

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 11:23:37 +0100, "Alan Foster" <nochance@all.com>
wrote:

>All owners of BT-100's will know that the power connector is decidedly
>dodgy, and I have now experienced a real heart-stopping moment as a result!

If this is the Budgetone 101/2 then in my opinion the whole thing is
more than dodgy, its the worst piece of network hardware I've ever
owned. Utter, useless, junk.

>process. Power cycling did not help - it would sit there flashing its
>led's all day with an incomplete boot. If I lifted the hook, it would

Mine did this. I had to run a packet sniffer on it and managed to
identify that it was trying to TFTP firmware from a none existent
machine. After simulating this TFTP server with a new firmware image
the phone upgraded itself and started working - it was out of action
for 6 months though before I tried this.

Unfortunately within an hour of getting the phone to work it ceased
talking to the network at all! It boots fine now and shows a network
connection on the screen but won't lease an IP or even send/recieve a
single packet of data at all.

Rgds
Jonathan

JuliusP 07-25-2005 01:47 AM

Re: BT-101 - dodgy dc connector - corrupted flash - cure found?

>its the worst piece of network hardware I've ever
>owned. Utter, useless, junk.

I've had a BT101 for well over a year, use it every day works
flawlessly

Sparks 07-25-2005 07:57 AM

"JuliusP" <julius@brampton.net> wrote in message
news:1122256058.431366.234930@g47g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> >its the worst piece of network hardware I've ever
>>owned. Utter, useless, junk.

> I've had a BT101 for well over a year, use it every day works
> flawlessly

I have two, 'connected' to my Asterisk Box, both working fine for the 6 or
so months I have had them!

Sparks...

Alan Foster 07-25-2005 07:08 PM

Re: BT-101 - dodgy dc connector - corrupted flash - cure found?

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 20:16:53 +0100, Ivor Jones <ivor@despammed.invalid>
wrote:

> [snip]
>
> BTW I didn't hear from you re. the Fritz!Box Fon, please let me know if
> you still want any help with it. The email address that I gave you to
> reply to before doesn't appear to be working at the moment, but let me
> know here and I'll sort out an alternative if necessary.

For the time being I've put the Fritz on the back burner so to speak.
It's a pity really, as I would dearly like to get my household DECT phones
bridged over to VoIP as well as the PSTN. However, apart from the echo
problem - still unresolved - as far as I can see there is no way to make
dialling out default to the PSTN. I would rather have to dial a code to
get a VoIP line with default to PSTN than the other way round.

Not like me to give up - I'll probably have another go when I've got more
time - but just as I was contemplating the Fritz problem, I aquired a very
cheap Swissvoice IP10S and my attention was diverted to that.

I am grateful for your offer of help, and when and if I have another go at
the Fritz, I will certainly take you up on it!!

Regards
Alan.

Alan Foster 07-25-2005 07:31 PM

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 01:48:14 +0100, JC <nospam@nospam.comm> wrote:

> If this is the Budgetone 101/2 then in my opinion the whole thing is
> more than dodgy, its the worst piece of network hardware I've ever
> owned. Utter, useless, junk.

Harsh words indeed... although I wouldn't argue with your opinion, I
wouldn't put it quite that strongly!

The name says it all; not so much 'Budge Tone', but more 'Budget One'!
I consider this as equipment that was undoubtedly developed with the word
'Budget' at the top of the developer's list of design criteria. No harm
in that; it is after all sold at a budget price; that seems fair enough.

However, as an electronics engineer, I find the use of a power supply with
the wrong size connector to be totally incompetent and unprofessional. I
would even question its 'fitness for purpose' under the Sale of Goods Act.

> It boots fine now and shows a network
> connection on the screen but won't lease an IP or even send/recieve a
> single packet of data at all.

Hmmm... if it shows the connection icon, it surely has to be either a
configuration error, or a firewall problem... mind you, if you really feel
that badly about the BT-100 you probably don't want to bother :-(

Regards
Alan.