Velocity Reviews

-   -   Mitel DHCP disaster (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t235055-mitel-dhcp-disaster.html)

Johan 04-11-2006 11:07 AM

Mitel DHCP disaster

G'day everybody!

I'm currently facing a tough challenge.
We have built the following: Mitel 3300 ICP with 5212 IP phones on an
HP ProCurve layer 3 PoE switch.
On the switch, we made two VLAN's (VLAN 1 for data, VLAN 2 for voice),
of which the second has tagged ports for QoS.
The PC's are physically linked by the phones, acting as a hub for
interconnectivity.

When rebooting the phones, and thus requesting for DHCP scope, this is
not functioning (reject 1 thru 10). The PC's do get a correct IP
address.
After untagging the ports in VLAN 2, DHCP was working properly. This
situation, however, is not helping anyway, since tagged ports are
necessary for QoS purposes.

Investigation shows that the phones send untagged packets when
requesting DHCP, this is fixed in the firmwear of the phones.

Can anyone provide new insights on this please?

Thanks!

Johan, project leader

BrianD.Mertens@gmail.com 04-13-2006 08:52 PM

Re: Mitel DHCP disaster

The phones will initially send an untagged request to the DHCP server.
Your VLAN 1 DHCP server must contain certain options.(More then likey
you'd want to be running Options 128-133) When the phones recieve this
vlan1 address and see these options, they will then drop the address
and switch to tagged vlan 2, and get a new address from your vlan 2
dhcp server. Make sense?

HeadsetAdapter.com 04-17-2006 03:09 AM

Re: Mitel DHCP disaster

"Johan" <kai_kura@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1144753670.969558.182880@i40g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
> G'day everybody!
>
> I'm currently facing a tough challenge.
> We have built the following: Mitel 3300 ICP with 5212 IP phones on an
> HP ProCurve layer 3 PoE switch.
> On the switch, we made two VLAN's (VLAN 1 for data, VLAN 2 for voice),
> of which the second has tagged ports for QoS.
> The PC's are physically linked by the phones, acting as a hub for
> interconnectivity.
>

> When rebooting the phones, and thus requesting for DHCP scope, this is
> not functioning (reject 1 thru 10). The PC's do get a correct IP
> address.
> After untagging the ports in VLAN 2, DHCP was working properly. This
> situation, however, is not helping anyway, since tagged ports are
> necessary for QoS purposes.
>

> Investigation shows that the phones send untagged packets when
> requesting DHCP, this is fixed in the firmwear of the phones.
>

> Can anyone provide new insights on this please?
>

> Thanks!

It's normal behavior. Check you Procurve switch to mark all untagged frames
with VLAN2. Usually when you set port as a trunk, you should be able to set
"native VLAN" - VLAN TAG should be used if no VLAN TAG is set.

Another thing - in most switches VLAN1 is management and/or internal VLAN,
and it's not-recommneded to use it for any user traffic.

Good luck,

Mike
----
www.headsetadapter.com

Johan 04-19-2006 10:28 AM

Re: Mitel DHCP disaster

Cheers guys!

Problem solved! We just made the mitel dhcp server for vlan2, and the
win2k server for vlan1, works like sunshine:-))

Grtz Johan