Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: MT-NewsWatcher and Intel iMac (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t235001-re-mt-newswatcher-and-intel-imac.html)

Bruce Grubb 04-30-2006 01:59 PM

Re: MT-NewsWatcher and Intel iMac

In article <290420062334224690%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone. ca>,
Dave Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:

> In article <michelle-CA91FD.17301229042006@news.west.cox.net>, Michelle
> Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:
>
> > In article <9nu7529flfmlcjc98vh9feeteltr7l3lfr@4ax.com>,
> > Donald McDaniel <orthocross2006@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > If you purchase an Intel Mac, you will be able to dual-boot with XP
> > > using Apple's BootCamp software.
> > >
> > > I suggest that you try out Forte's Agent Newsreader for Windows XP.
> > > It simply blows all OS X newsreaders out of the water. I much prefer
> > > to use XP for newsreading than OS X.

> > So you're saying that one should spend $200 for an operating system just
> > to run one particular piece of software that costs $29?

> That is indeed what he's saying. How was it confusing for you?

There are reasons Mac users thank WIndows users are Idiots. This is one of
them. Another is the Windows inability to understand what "standard" means
and allows Microsoft to write crap that has problems with standards.

Dave Balderstone 04-30-2006 02:21 PM

Re: MT-NewsWatcher and Intel iMac

In article <bgrubb-831519.07595330042006@news.zianet.com>, Bruce Grubb
<bgrubb@zianet.com> wrote:

> There are reasons Mac users thank WIndows users are Idiots.

Hmm. What an amazingly ignorant generalization.

I'm a Mac user, and do think "WIndows users are Idiots". I know many
people who use Windows who are anything but idiots, and many clueless
Mac users.

Dave Balderstone 04-30-2006 03:24 PM

Re: MT-NewsWatcher and Intel iMac

In article <300420060821046336%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone. ca>, Dave
Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:

> I'm a Mac user, and do think "WIndows users are Idiots". I know many
> people who use Windows who are anything but idiots, and many clueless
> Mac users.

Argh. I should not post before coffee...

That should read: I'm a Mac user, and do NOT think "WIndows users are
Idiots".

PeterMcC 04-30-2006 03:24 PM

Re: MT-NewsWatcher and Intel iMac

Dave Balderstone wrote in
<300420060821046336%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone. ca>

> In article <bgrubb-831519.07595330042006@news.zianet.com>, Bruce Grubb
> <bgrubb@zianet.com> wrote:
>
>> There are reasons Mac users thank WIndows users are Idiots.

> Hmm. What an amazingly ignorant generalization.
>
> I'm a Mac user, and do think "WIndows users are Idiots". I know many
> people who use Windows who are anything but idiots, and many clueless
> Mac users.

Here, I've got a spare n't - with my compliments :)

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

mactime 04-30-2006 05:44 PM

Re: MT-NewsWatcher and Intel iMac

On 2006-04-30 09:21:04 -0500, Dave Balderstone
<dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> said:

> In article <bgrubb-831519.07595330042006@news.zianet.com>, Bruce Grubb
> <bgrubb@zianet.com> wrote:
>
>> There are reasons Mac users thank WIndows users are Idiots.

> Hmm. What an amazingly ignorant generalization.
>
> I'm a Mac user, and do think "WIndows users are Idiots". I know many
> people who use Windows who are anything but idiots, and many clueless
> Mac users.

You can't be an idiot if you're a systems tech working with XP or XP
pro software. There are too many setup screens and too much "behind
the screens" knowledge required to set it all up. But, the same is
true of Mac OS X in the sense that to truly understand and tinker with
the OS at the Terminal level requires, perhaps, more intelligence in
the computer sense than does Windows. You can still tinker with the OS
code in OS X and Windows shut out the average user or systems
programmer from doing that years ago. Many average users of OS X have
no desire to know anything about programming - just to have a simple
and easy to use computer and software set. The same may be true of
Windows, but more effort is required there just to be an average user.

After using the Mac for a time, I've learned what an amazing complex OS
it is that provides a very simple and easy to use user interface. A
lot of Mac programs are very simple and easy to install, use and
uninstall. But, as a non-programmer, I would say that OS X is far
superior to Windows in terms of flexibilty and potential. One of the
things that "burned me out" with Windows was the complexity involved in
setting up programs and hundreds of option screens for tinkering with
the system. The registry is a nightmare. Try completely uninstalling
a program on Windows vs. on a Mac. XP is not actually running on
MS-DOS anymore, although you can still run MS-DOS programs in a sort of
virtual environment. But, Windows is still closer to an OS built on
DOS with each successive version stacked on top of it than OS X is. OS
X has left behind the older, classic component of its earlier OS
versions and arrived at a state-of-the art new version. It will be
interesting to see how "post-modern" Vista will be.

dorayme 04-30-2006 11:26 PM

Re: MT-NewsWatcher and Intel iMac

In article
<300420060821046336%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone. ca>,
Dave Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:

> In article <bgrubb-831519.07595330042006@news.zianet.com>, Bruce Grubb
> <bgrubb@zianet.com> wrote:
>
> > There are reasons Mac users thank WIndows users are Idiots.

> Hmm. What an amazingly ignorant generalization.
>
> I'm a Mac user, and do think "WIndows users are Idiots". I know many
> people who use Windows who are anything but idiots, and many clueless
> Mac users.

hear hear!

--
dorayme

Andy Dingley 05-02-2006 09:39 AM

Bruce Grubb wrote:

> > > So you're saying that one should spend $200 for an operating system just
> > > to run one particular piece of software that costs $29?

Yes. I buy computers to run useful applications for me, not to indulge
in OS flamewars.

Michelle Steiner 05-02-2006 01:57 PM

Re: MT-NewsWatcher and Intel iMac

In article <1146562791.862875.180070@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups .com>,
"Andy Dingley <dingbat@codesmiths.com>" <dingbat@codesmiths.com>
wrote:

> Yes. I buy computers to run useful applications for me, not to
> indulge in OS flamewars.

That second sentence is totally unresponsive and irrelevant to my
question.

Getting back to the matter at hand, spending $200 in order to run a $29
piece of software does not make financial sense to me. Sure, if the
person needs Windows for some other reason, then buying Agent might be a
reasonable option, but to buy Windows solely to run Agent is, to me,
wasting money.

I just can't see any newsreader being worth $229.

Dave Balderstone 05-02-2006 02:30 PM

Re: MT-NewsWatcher and Intel iMac

In article <michelle-8367E2.06571202052006@news.west.cox.net>, Michelle
Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

> Getting back to the matter at hand, spending $200 in order to run a $29
> piece of software does not make financial sense to me. Sure, if the
> person needs Windows for some other reason, then buying Agent might be a
> reasonable option, but to buy Windows solely to run Agent is, to me,
> wasting money.
>
> I just can't see any newsreader being worth $229.

You don't see value in doing "A". Someone else sees value in doing "A".

Wow. People may not share your views. Quel dommage.

Michelle Steiner 05-02-2006 02:37 PM

Re: MT-NewsWatcher and Intel iMac

In article <020520060830143997%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone. ca>,
Dave Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:

> > Getting back to the matter at hand, spending $200 in order to run a $29
> > piece of software does not make financial sense to me. Sure, if the
> > person needs Windows for some other reason, then buying Agent might be a
> > reasonable option, but to buy Windows solely to run Agent is, to me,
> > wasting money.
> >
> > I just can't see any newsreader being worth $229.

> You don't see value in doing "A". Someone else sees value in doing "A".
>
> Wow. People may not share your views. Quel dommage.

So, I'm not supposed to express my opinion? How about you getting off
my case, Balderstone? I'm getting tired of your juvenile antagonism.