Velocity Reviews

-   -   intel 537 winmodem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t234745-intel-537-winmodem.html)

bailey1396 02-22-2006 03:51 PM

intel 537 winmodem

I have install Asterisk @ Home on computer I wasn't using. It seems as
if asterisk detects the modem. I would like to have the asterisk box
answer my home phone and transfer to the correct user of the soft
phone. I'm planning on buying some Voip wireless phones, but would
like to get the Asterisk box working with the soft phones(X-Ten) first.
I can call from one extension to another, but when I dial 9,and my
cell number ( to see if it will call out) it says all circuits are
busy. What am I doing wrong? I'm using the intel 537 winmodem that
everyone says will work, but its not. please help.

valentino.rossi.85 02-22-2006 06:50 PM

Re: intel 537 winmodem

i dont get it. u tried to make a call to ur cell phone through SIP
protocol? aint it suppose to go through the PSTN line? (then ur PSTN
operator connect to the GSM/CDMA network?)

bailey1396 02-23-2006 01:05 AM

Re: intel 537 winmodem

well I want to be able to dial 9 and then any local number to call
someone from my home phone. Cell phone was just a test!!! And when
someone call my home I would like for the Asterisk server to answer the
call, the person call can enter the number to whom the person they wish
to talk to.

is it possable?
Without buying a high priced card?

shido xavier 02-23-2006 01:58 AM

Re: intel 537 winmodem

bailey1396 wrote:
> well I want to be able to dial 9 and then any local number to call
> someone from my home phone. Cell phone was just a test!!! And when
> someone call my home I would like for the Asterisk server to answer the
> call, the person call can enter the number to whom the person they wish
> to talk to.
>
> is it possable?
> Without buying a high priced card?

You dont need a high priced card, you can buy a $10 - $15 FXO card, you
can find them on ebay now. Digium discontinued the single port FXO Card
and started selling the $100+ single port Modular card now. The modular
card can carry 4 modules so you can mix and match FXO and FXS modules.

FXS - You can plug Analog Telephone Handsets into these
FXO - Use this for connecting to your plain old telephone service.

What kind of phone did you want to use locally? Softphone? IP Phone?

-sx

IM: shido6@msn.com

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 02-23-2006 02:06 AM

Re: intel 537 winmodem

"bailey1396" <bailey1396@zoominternet.net> writes:
> well I want to be able to dial 9 and then any local number to call
> someone from my home phone. Cell phone was just a test!!! And when
> someone call my home I would like for the Asterisk server to answer the
> call, the person call can enter the number to whom the person they wish
> to talk to.
>
> is it possable?
> Without buying a high priced card?

Thats what I did. I have a Sipura SPA-3000 forward the POTS calls to
asterisk. From there, you could route the call to any SIP or analog
phone. Given that the SPA-3000 costs about the same as the official
asterisk card, I figured it was a less risky proposition with getting
the device drivers to work, etc. The SPA-3000 speaks standard SIP and
asterisk has no trouble interfacing.

Now, be warned, the analog phone lines coming into your house are a
cesspool of echos. The ear normally can ignore this echo because it
has a very low-delay time. Effectively the ear's innate echo
canceling is only good for a very small number of milliseconds. When
you add a few tens of milliseconds of VOIP delay to the equation the
echo is no longer canceled and becomes very irritating. Effectively I
stopped allowing pots calls to be routed to extensions. I just allow
the incoming analog line to go to one of several voice mailboxes.

To talk to folks over the PSTN I get digital DID's from ipkall and
teliax. The former is free, but sometimes has bad voice quality. The
latter costs 2cents/minute, but so far has had much better quality.

-wolfgang
Direct SIP URL Dialing: http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/phonedirectory.html

bailey1396 02-23-2006 04:17 AM

Re: intel 537 winmodem

But, didn't Bob Smith ( http://linuxgazette.net/120/smith.html ) use a
Intel 537 modem and Asterisk for an Answering Machine.
Isn't the Intel 537 chipset just the old Wildcard X100P FXO cards?
I want to use the Xten Lite PC-based soft Phones for the computers, but
I plan on getting some wireless IP phones once this works out.