Velocity Reviews

-   -   right way to connect cable modem, router, adaptor? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t234598-right-way-to-connect-cable-modem-router-adaptor.html)

harsh 12-07-2005 12:29 PM

right way to connect cable modem, router, adaptor?

Hello,

I am a relatively new Vonage user. My question is about the proper way
to connect the networkind devices. The documentation Vonage provides
with their hardware says to follow this order:

cable modem -> ata adaptor -> router -> pc's.

Looking through the online documentation on Vonage's website for issues
related to poor call quality and/or dropped calls, I found
documentation that suggested that the connectiosn should be in this
order:

cable modem -> router -> ata adaptor and pc's.

Which is the "right" way?

Thanks,
-Harsh

Rick Merrill 12-07-2005 02:01 PM

Re: right way to connect cable modem, router, adaptor?

harsh wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a relatively new Vonage user. My question is about the proper way
> to connect the networkind devices. The documentation Vonage provides
> with their hardware says to follow this order:
>
> cable modem -> ata adaptor -> router -> pc's.
>
> Looking through the online documentation on Vonage's website for issues
> related to poor call quality and/or dropped calls, I found
> documentation that suggested that the connectiosn should be in this
> order:
>
> cable modem -> router -> ata adaptor and pc's.
>
> Which is the "right" way?
>
> Thanks,
> -Harsh

first one: The ATA regulates modem-router bandwidth inorder to
maintain QoS (Quality of Service) for the phone call.