Velocity Reviews

-   -   FoIP from soft phone (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t234582-foip-from-soft-phone.html)

hawat.thufir@gmail.com 12-02-2005 11:27 AM

FoIP from soft phone

I came across <http://www.tpc.int/verify.html>, which claims that it's
possible to send a FAX by e-mail, for free, which sounds very cool.

In terms of VoIP and FoIP:
"More generally though, faxing over IP is possible, but has to be
specifically supported. Many VoIP providers do not support faxing,
purely because it adds more overheads to their network, and the
benefits of FoIP are not as obvious as VoIP (namely, because there is
no compression, and because faxing does not usually involve long phone
calls, the savings are not as large)."
<http://ozvoip.com/faq.php#foip>

What are some common ways of doing this from a soft phone setup? While
I've yet to make a skype call to a person, I've tested skype and it
seems to work fine. I was surprised to not find a plug-in of some sort
enabling FoIP.

Thanks,

Thufir

hawat.thufir@gmail.com 12-02-2005 11:38 AM

Re: FoIP from soft phone

Tobias Erichsen wrote:
> If you have a CAPI-compliant fax-application, you can use the XCAPI
> (www.xcapi.com) to send and receive fax-documents over a H.323 or
> SIP-link.

this looks interesting. I also came across

"FAXing over VoIP networks doesn't work. You can sometimes arrange
things so a fairly high percentage of FAXes get through OK. You can
occassionally create setups that work 100% of the time. These are rare
and unrepeatable setups. You need to use a proper FAX over IP protocol,
such as T.38, to achieve consistent reliable FAXing across IP
networks."
<http://www.soft-switch.org/foip.html>

-Thufir

Tobias Erichsen 12-02-2005 11:39 AM

Re: FoIP from soft phone

<hawat.thufir@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:1133522823.710582.192030@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
>I came across <http://www.tpc.int/verify.html>, which claims that it's
> possible to send a FAX by e-mail, for free, which sounds very cool.
>
> In terms of VoIP and FoIP:
> "More generally though, faxing over IP is possible, but has to be
> specifically supported. Many VoIP providers do not support faxing,
> purely because it adds more overheads to their network, and the
> benefits of FoIP are not as obvious as VoIP (namely, because there is
> no compression, and because faxing does not usually involve long phone
> calls, the savings are not as large)."
> <http://ozvoip.com/faq.php#foip>
>
> What are some common ways of doing this from a soft phone setup? While
> I've yet to make a skype call to a person, I've tested skype and it
> seems to work fine. I was surprised to not find a plug-in of some sort
> enabling FoIP.

If you have a CAPI-compliant fax-application, you can use the XCAPI
(www.xcapi.com) to send and receive fax-documents over a H.323 or
SIP-link.

It is possible to use both T.38 and T.30 (softfax using a G.711 transparent
link). When using T.30 the ip-connection to your provider should be rather
good (latency/jitter/packetloss) as the modem-modulation of T.30 is a bit
less resilient against bad line-conditions as T.38...

Tobias

Tobias Erichsen 12-02-2005 08:54 PM

Re: FoIP from soft phone

<hawat.thufir@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:1133523507.097687.117740@g44g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> Tobias Erichsen wrote:
> ..
> > If you have a CAPI-compliant fax-application, you can use the XCAPI
> > (www.xcapi.com) to send and receive fax-documents over a H.323 or
> > SIP-link.

> ..
>
> this looks interesting. I also came across
>
> "FAXing over VoIP networks doesn't work. You can sometimes arrange
> things so a fairly high percentage of FAXes get through OK. You can
> occassionally create setups that work 100% of the time. These are rare
> and unrepeatable setups. You need to use a proper FAX over IP protocol,
> such as T.38, to achieve consistent reliable FAXing across IP
> networks."
> <http://www.soft-switch.org/foip.html>

Actually they are right - you need a really good connection with low
latency,
low jitter and low (better zero ;-) packet-loss.

So on a normal WAN-link (isdn or dsl) lot's of times this won't be easy to
achieve - and it is exactly the reason why T.38 was invented. But even for
T.38 too much packet-loss and bad latency are not really helpful.

The softfax (T.30) mode in XCAPI was really implemented for use within
LANs. Because there is quite a bit of environments where T.38 is not viable
(very depending on the voip-infrastructure in place), in that case T.30
over a G.711 link can be a good solution to pile of problematic
configurations....

Tobias