Velocity Reviews

-   -   Nortel BCM Vs Avaya IP Office (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t234026-nortel-bcm-vs-avaya-ip-office.html)

Gavin 05-19-2005 10:36 PM

Nortel BCM Vs Avaya IP Office

We are a medium sized software house that runs its own help desk. We
are looking at install a VOIP system and have the decision down to 2
the Nortel BCM or the Avaya IP Office. We have 2 offices in different
cities which will be connectred VIA a Tier 1.

One office will have about 30 extensions, with 4 IP trucks to our other
office which will have about 10 extensions. We will be doing some
considerable Jumping off from other smaller office.

Nortel have recommend the BCM 400 for larger office and the BCM 200
for the smaller

Avaya have recommended the IP406 for both offices.

Does anyone here have any suggestions about which is the better system
to choose?

I have been told that the BCM is in a completely higher class than the
IP 406 is this true?

Thanks in Advance

Gavin

Paul 05-20-2005 01:06 AM

Re: Nortel BCM Vs Avaya IP Office

Bah, I'd say grab your local linux geek and have him setup Asterisk.
It'll be cheaper than buying some expensive proprietary PBX and give you
allot of room for expansion and extra features. Plus you can use almost any
SIP/H323 phones.
I suggest you take a look if you haven't. http://www.asterisk.org

-Paul

news:1116542187.695387.276510@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...

Dmitri 05-21-2005 11:15 PM

Gavin wrote:

> I have been told that the BCM is in a completely higher class than the
> IP 406 is this true?

That was probably a Nortel sales rep telling you that ;-)
IP406 is a great switch, and has just been improved with its second
hardware version. Installs easily, will support from 5 to 30 IP trunks
between your offices. And get this: Nortel BCM supports 3-party conference
calls, IP Office - 64-party conf calls (or two 64-party on IP412). Not too
bad for a (relatively) small switch like that. So, which one is a higher
class? ;-)

Anyways, both are solid switches. Talks about "completely higher class"
are sales bullshit. Go by level of support offered and the phone vendor's
references. Well, and the price, obviously. If your phone vendor does not
know what they are doing, both switches can easily be screwed up
(especially BCM at the configuration stage - very complicated resource
allocation setup), so make sure you trust the vendor.

--
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
http://www.cabling-design.com

http://www.cabling-design.com/forum

ROAR 05-30-2005 12:21 AM

ip 406

Hi Gavin..

My company is an authorized Avaya business partner. We do a lot of I
Office installs. We also advertise on this site...

If you want more info please contact us..

For your viewing pleasure, here is some info re: the 40

http://www.carrollcommunications.com...406platform.ht

basic IP Office inf
http://www.carrollcommunications.com...m_ipoffice.htm

Telefonix 03-18-2011 08:04 PM