Velocity Reviews

-   -   The Demise of Cheap VOIP (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t233982-the-demise-of-cheap-voip.html)

pjsmoot@hotmail.com 05-08-2005 11:43 PM

The Demise of Cheap VOIP

John Dvorak has an article entitled "The Coming Death of Cheap VOIP" in
PC Magazine's May 24th, 2005 issue. He mentions that the telcos will
soon sniff out Skype-like traffic on their networks, and make it
unusable, thereby forcing you to use the telco's VOIP service, or none
at all.

Rather than debate the accuracy of what Dvorak said, I was wondering if
any of you truly tech-savvy guys know whether there are ways to get
around such technical roadblocks (such as encrypting VOIP traffic?).
Thanks.

R-Guy 05-09-2005 05:40 AM

Re: The Demise of Cheap VOIP

<pjsmoot@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1115595831.859376.192390@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
> John Dvorak has an article entitled "The Coming Death of Cheap VOIP" in
> PC Magazine's May 24th, 2005 issue. He mentions that the telcos will
> soon sniff out Skype-like traffic on their networks, and make it
> unusable, thereby forcing you to use the telco's VOIP service, or none
> at all.
>
> Rather than debate the accuracy of what Dvorak said, I was wondering if
> any of you truly tech-savvy guys know whether there are ways to get
> around such technical roadblocks (such as encrypting VOIP traffic?).
> Thanks.

Not all ISPs are telcos - I would just switch to an Internet provider that
doesn't play games.

wkearney99 05-09-2005 01:54 PM

Re: The Demise of Cheap VOIP

> > He mentions that the telcos will
> > soon sniff out Skype-like traffic on their networks, and make it
> > unusable, thereby forcing you to use the telco's VOIP service, or none
> > at all.

> Not all ISPs are telcos - I would just switch to an Internet provider that
> doesn't play games.

Correct. When ISPs have attempted to block only certain forms of traffic
their customers leave. That and the courts have ruled against ISPs that
have tried forcing it on customers. Basically, the market rules and
customers will walk if their supplier tries ****ing with them.

Cloaked 05-09-2005 02:47 PM

Re: The Demise of Cheap VOIP

Well you have to have a high-speed connection to make VOIP work.

I used to be with Telus for ADSL service. But what is the point of
switching to VOIP - which Telus does NOT offer - if you still have to
maintain a POTS line to get your ADSL (and get your VOIP)????

I have switched to Shaw for high speed bundled with Cable. I have
connected to a VOIP provider, and sent the "Port" request for my phone
number.

Telus does not need to worry about blocking my VOIP traffic any more.
Within 3 to 4 weeks, Telus will no longer provide me with ANY form of
service. :)

The reconfiguration and switch is a net saving of between $45 to $65
per month. This is too large a figure to ignore. AND I get better long
distance rates with my VOIP provider than I EVER did with Telus.

The death of cheap VOIP is likely to come when Telus and other telcos
start bitching and the damn government steps in and starts
"regualting" them. This will drive up the costs for the VOIP service
providers, and they are more than likely to pass on those costs.

What we need to do is pay atttention, and when the government starts
considering regualtion - wirte EVERYONE! Write the CRTC and tell them
to f-off and leave VOIP alone, write your MP and tell him or her that
you DO NOT WANT government involvement in this industry any more.

Regulation was required when telephony was a scarce resource. This is
no longer true. The original reasons for regulation no longer exist.
Ongoing government interference in the market place is not welcome,
and unless you tell them so - LOUDLY - then it is only a matter of
time before they try to find a way to screw the VOIP providers at the
hands of telcos who refuse to step out from behind the shield and
compete in an open market.

Just my $0.02

John Nelson 05-09-2005 10:32 PM

Re: The Demise of Cheap VOIP

In article <1115595831.859376.192390@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups .com>,
pjsmoot@hotmail.com says...
> John Dvorak has an article entitled "The Coming Death of Cheap VOIP" in
> PC Magazine's May 24th, 2005 issue. He mentions that the telcos will
> soon sniff out Skype-like traffic on their networks, and make it
> unusable, thereby forcing you to use the telco's VOIP service, or none
> at all.
>
> Rather than debate the accuracy of what Dvorak said, I was wondering if
> any of you truly tech-savvy guys know whether there are ways to get
> around such technical roadblocks (such as encrypting VOIP traffic?).
> Thanks.

Well..., given that the FCC recently fined a telco $15,000 and ordered
them to STOP blocking VOIP traffic on their IP networks, I would have to
say that ol' John has some 'splainin' to do. Perhaps he knows of some
pending regulatory changes that will reflect a 180 degree change in the
current path the FCC is following.

And yes, there most certainly are ways around this.

wkearney99 05-10-2005 03:24 AM

Re: The Demise of Cheap VOIP

> Regulation was required when telephony was a scarce resource. This is
> no longer true. The original reasons for regulation no longer exist.

Bullshit. Tell that to the family living out in the middle of nowhere.
Someone's got to maintain the copper wiring plant for their basic phone
services. That's a direct result of regulation and should continue.

To blindly call it 'interference' shows a distinct lack of understanding
about the entire range of issues.

PJ 05-10-2005 05:05 AM

Re: The Demise of Cheap VOIP

John Nelson wrote:
> In article <1115595831.859376.192390@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups .com>,
> pjsmoot@hotmail.com says...
> > John Dvorak has an article entitled "The Coming Death of Cheap

VOIP" in
> > PC Magazine's May 24th, 2005 issue. He mentions that the telcos

will
> > soon sniff out Skype-like traffic on their networks, and make it
> > unusable, thereby forcing you to use the telco's VOIP service, or

none
> > at all.
> >
> > Rather than debate the accuracy of what Dvorak said, I was

wondering if
> > any of you truly tech-savvy guys know whether there are ways to get
> > around such technical roadblocks (such as encrypting VOIP

traffic?).
> > Thanks.

> Well..., given that the FCC recently fined a telco $15,000 and

ordered
> them to STOP blocking VOIP traffic on their IP networks, I would have

> say that ol' John has some 'splainin' to do. Perhaps he knows of some

> pending regulatory changes that will reflect a 180 degree change in

the
> current path the FCC is following.
>
> And yes, there most certainly are ways around this.

Could you give just a hint of the general categories of what those ways
might be? Like 1.) Encryption of VOIP traffic. , 2.) Encapsulation of
VOIP traffic inside another protocol (L2TP ?). , ....

Stephen M. Adams 05-10-2005 04:31 PM

Re: The Demise of Cheap VOIP

"wkearney99" <wkearney99@hotmail.com> writes:

>> Regulation was required when telephony was a scarce resource. This is
>> no longer true. The original reasons for regulation no longer exist.

>Bullshit. Tell that to the family living out in the middle of nowhere.
>Someone's got to maintain the copper wiring plant for their basic phone
>services. That's a direct result of regulation and should continue.

As I recall, in exchange for their *monopoly* the telcos agreed to wire
everything, and were then permitted to recover the costs of wiring 'out
of the way' places from the entire subscriber base.

I don't believe that a telephone, or the internet, is a 'basic human right'
that should be guaranteed to everyone by regulation and paid for by all
users of the system.

There's a fundamental difference between ensuring basic food, shelted
and access to health care and providing a telephone and/or internet
services.

>To blindly call it 'interference' shows a distinct lack of understanding
>about the entire range of issues.

Yes, it's a complex issue. But I haven't seen a convincing argument
as to why the government should guarantee everyone telephone and
internet access, and spread the costs across the entire population.

-Stephen
--
Space Age Cybernomad Stephen Adams
malchus842SP@AMgmail.com (remove SPAM to reply)

Vox Humana 05-10-2005 09:37 PM

Re: The Demise of Cheap VOIP

"wkearney99" <wkearney99@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Regulation was required when telephony was a scarce resource. This is
> > no longer true. The original reasons for regulation no longer exist.

> Bullshit. Tell that to the family living out in the middle of nowhere.
> Someone's got to maintain the copper wiring plant for their basic phone
> services. That's a direct result of regulation and should continue.

There is always broadband over power line. Virtually everyone has electric
power and the lines are maintained by the electric company. People in out
of the way places could eventually get BPL and therefore VOIP. No need for
the phone company.
http://slate.msn.com/id/2097131/

Heimo Hetl 05-10-2005 10:13 PM

Re: The Demise of Cheap VOIP

Vox Humana wrote:

> There is always broadband over power line. Virtually everyone has
> electric
> power and the lines are maintained by the electric company. People in out
> of the way places could eventually get BPL and therefore VOIP.

Forget powerline. It doesn't work. (Well, it does work a little. But it is
susceptible to interference from appliances like microwave ovens and vacuum
cleaners, and it interferes with everything from shortwave to emergency
services' radio. It sure sounded like a promising technology some years
ago, but it just doesn't work.)

However, regulation in many countries requires ISPs to be service neutral.
This is the way to go.

cheers
Heimo

--
l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.