Velocity Reviews

-   -   Simple VOIP setup (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t233905-simple-voip-setup.html)

anandsekar@gmail.com 04-16-2005 11:51 PM

Simple VOIP setup

Hi All,

How can I setup a very simple VOIP network
between two offices. Both offices have broadband
and I am looking to setup just one line between
the offices.

What hardware would I require for this ?

thanks
anand

BlueRinse 04-17-2005 06:57 AM

Re: Simple VOIP setup

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 16:51:11 -0700, anandsekar wrote:

> What hardware would I require for this ?

How many phones? Existing pbx at one or both?

The simplest example would be two PC running linux and asterisk

For the phones, each PC used with

1 or more ATA to connect 1 or 2 regular phones per unit
1 or more PC card FXS interfaces to connect 1 phone per interface
1 or more SIP phones all of which would connect on the LAN

ATA are around $80-$120
A card with 4 FXS is around $320 (to plug in 4 regular phones)
SIP Phones cost between $60-500 with a decent business phone at around
$200

Then there's the cost of PC and software setup and voIP services if needed.

hth

John Nelson 04-17-2005 10:27 PM

Re: Simple VOIP setup

In article <1113695471.375928.244840@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups .com>,
anandsekar@gmail.com says...
> Hi All,
>
> How can I setup a very simple VOIP network
> between two offices. Both offices have broadband
> and I am looking to setup just one line between
> the offices.
>
> What hardware would I require for this ?

Start here:
http://www.fwd.pulver.com
http://www.fwd.pulver.com/support/configuration_guide

Pepperoni 04-18-2005 04:00 AM

Re: Simple VOIP setup

The simplest solution is to use a software peer-to-peer application between
the two offices. Two PC headsets or handsets, and you're in business with
*NO* further cost.

If you want to interact with regular telephones, a simple Vonage (or similar
account) with an added softphone for the second location would do. (the
softphone has 500 outgoing minutes) Calls between the two accounts would
not be counted.

There are a lot of free peer-to-peer apps out there. Most offer prepaid
minutes for calling regular phones at low rates.

news:1113695471.375928.244840@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...

appan@btinternet.com 04-18-2005 09:18 AM

Re: Simple VOIP setup

Hi,
The best solutions is to go for Asterisk based IPPBX so that you can
get all PBX features with IP and many more features.

akh

anandsekar@gmail.com 04-18-2005 06:56 PM

Re: Simple VOIP setup

Thanks !

Marc H.Popek 04-26-2005 02:52 PM

Re: Simple VOIP setup

these move fasts..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9294&ssPageNam
e=STRK:MESE:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3850&ssPageNam
e=STRK:MESE:IT

Marc H.Popek 05-03-2005 03:03 AM

Re: Simple VOIP setup

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...rd=1&sspagenam
e=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Marc H.Popek 05-23-2005 04:37 AM

Re: Simple VOIP setup

These CLT units are back on ebay! New shippment has arrived!
They move fast.

Marc H.Popek 06-13-2005 01:11 AM

Re: Simple VOIP setup

You can build -up a switch matrix to join multiple voip and pstn lines using
the Combin-a-line units

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...rd=1&sspagenam
e=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

excerpt from listing

COMBINE-A-LINE .. Imagine..1=2

Ever wish you could use your favorite single-line telephone, answering
machine, caller ID or PC Modem on TWO phone lines?.. Automatically?

OR

How about joining your VOIP port and the plain old (PSTN) telephone jack
into a single handset?

OR

USE a CLT to join a card card acceptor and your single line telephone as
well!

OR

see if anybody picks-up, on another line trunk, after you are already in a
telco call???

THEN...........................................

Combine-A-Line (CLT) allows two separate calls from two different lines to
be directed to your single line telephone equipment or PC. Centralizing and
PROTECTING (SURGE PROTECTION INSIDE) your communication equipment for your
home office or for the family.

Combine-A-Line supports all services from your telephone company including
Caller ID. It also has two line surge protectors to make sure that you are
Protecting your equipment.

Use combine-aline to automatically switch between VOIP and pots (rboc) plain
local line, hands free!.

SECURITY of your calls are enhanced because the CLT displays if anybody
picks -up the line after you are in a call! So, it has security features
just in case someone is wire tapping or listens in after you are in a call.
The LED display will indicate any disruption to the line.

Easy to use, No batteries or power supply, and no programming needed! Our
re-sellers have reported that ..."elimination of the noisy and cumbersome
power supply wires, reduces the Hum & Noise one hears then when connected
to household power supplies"

Automate and organize your telecommunications equipment and desktop wires
with Combine-A-Line.

USE BUY NOW and get FREE SHIPPING