Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   VOIP (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f35-voip.html)
-   -   Cordless phone via ATA via RJ45 router with no provider possible? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t233893-cordless-phone-via-ata-via-rj45-router-with-no-provider-possible.html)

ChrisR 04-12-2005 05:44 AM

Cordless phone via ATA via RJ45 router with no provider possible?
 
I'm new at this, so if anyone could provide a little information that
would be great.

I'd like to use my cordless phone to place voip calls so I know I need a
ATA analogue telephone adapter. I'd like to plug the ATA into my Dlink
router via an ethernet RJ45 port so I don't need the computer running in
order to place a call. It also means other family members are not tied
down to my computer as with USB/Headset software solutions.

The thing is, can I then make a P2P call to another voip user if I don't
have a provider? Must I absolutely have a provider if I don't want to
use a software solution or a USB solution?

Thankyou.

Miguel Cruz 04-12-2005 11:04 AM

Re: Cordless phone via ATA via RJ45 router with no provider possible?
 
ChrisR <chrisr@es.co.nz> wrote:
> The thing is, can I then make a P2P call to another voip user if I don't
> have a provider? Must I absolutely have a provider if I don't want to
> use a software solution or a USB solution?


The easiest way to make free calls to other people using your ATA or other
SIP-compliant VoIP gear is to sign up for a number at Free World Dialup
(www.freeworlddialup.org)

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 36 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Jordan, Turkey, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Israel

Ivor Jones 04-12-2005 12:41 PM

Re: Cordless phone via ATA via RJ45 router with no provider possible?
 
Miguel Cruz wrote:
> ChrisR <chrisr@es.co.nz> wrote:
>> The thing is, can I then make a P2P call to another voip user if I
>> don't have a provider? Must I absolutely have a provider if I
>> don't want to use a software solution or a USB solution?

>
> The easiest way to make free calls to other people using your ATA
> or other SIP-compliant VoIP gear is to sign up for a number at Free
> World Dialup (www.freeworlddialup.org)


Or www.sipgate.co.uk if you want a UK number (you do need to use a British
based IP address if you want a normal geographic number in the UK though,
but it can be used from anywhere).

Ivor



Ian 04-12-2005 08:31 PM

Re: Cordless phone via ATA via RJ45 router with no provider possible?
 
ChrisR <chrisr@es.co.nz> wrote in message news:<d3fn8n$3b1$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>...
> I'm new at this, so if anyone could provide a little information that
> would be great.
>
> I'd like to use my cordless phone to place voip calls so I know I need a
> ATA analogue telephone adapter. I'd like to plug the ATA into my Dlink
> router via an ethernet RJ45 port so I don't need the computer running in
> order to place a call. It also means other family members are not tied
> down to my computer as with USB/Headset software solutions.
>

Not a Problem thats what most people do.

> The thing is, can I then make a P2P call to another voip user if I don't
> have a provider? Must I absolutely have a provider if I don't want to
> use a software solution or a USB solution?
>

Well the answer to this is a yes / no on one.
Put simply yes you could make P2P calls without a Voip Provider, BUT
why would you want to, Firstly it will make it dificult for people to
call you, and you wont be able to get the benifits of reduced cost
toll and International voip to pstn calls. Most SIP suppliers dont
charge any "line Rental" just charge for off net calls, look for
suppliers that have good peering to other voip providers.

Ian

FWD 43143


> Thankyou.


ChrisR 04-13-2005 05:54 AM

Re: Cordless phone via ATA via RJ45 router with no provider possible?
 

> Well the answer to this is a yes / no on one.
> Put simply yes you could make P2P calls without a Voip Provider, BUT
> why would you want to, Firstly it will make it dificult for people to
> call you, and you wont be able to get the benifits of reduced cost
> toll and International voip to pstn calls. Most SIP suppliers dont
> charge any "line Rental" just charge for off net calls, look for
> suppliers that have good peering to other voip providers.
>
> Ian
>
> FWD 43143
>


Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm having trouble visualising how it
all fits together. For instance,

do I need an ATA adapter which is specific or constructed by a
particular provider? If not, how does the ATA which is plugged into my
router know the ip of the provider or where to send the data?

If I don't have a provider, how can I then make a P2P call to another
voip user? The ATA is just a digitizing device and knows nothing else..?

Does it matter where the provider is located? I'm in New Zealand...

Thanks again.

Miguel Cruz 04-13-2005 08:27 AM

Re: Cordless phone via ATA via RJ45 router with no provider possible?
 
ChrisR <chrisr@es.co.nz> wrote:
> do I need an ATA adapter which is specific or constructed by a
> particular provider?


It has to be compatible with their software and protocols, but that usually
gives you a lot of options.

> If not, how does the ATA which is plugged into my router know the ip of
> the provider or where to send the data?


If the provider sends you an ATA, it will come pre-configured. Otherwise you
have to configure it (using a web-based or phone-based interface) with
settings they give you.

> If I don't have a provider, how can I then make a P2P call to another
> voip user?


Yes, you'll have to dial by IP address in that case. And if they are behind
NAT (e.g., a home router) then it probably won't work unless they have made
special arrangements on their router. In this case you are better off using
FWD as I mentioned earlier in the thread. It's free and easy.

> Does it matter where the provider is located? I'm in New Zealand...


If the provider is far away from you then there can be noticeable latency.

For instance, I live in Malaysia but buy SIP minutes from a provider in the
USA. For calls to the USA and Europe, and even Japan and Australia, this is
no problem. However, when I call back to countries near me (such as
Thailand, or Malaysia itself) the delay is quite perceptible because the
information is traveling twice around the world over apparently high-latency
links.

So even though calls from Malaysia to Malaysia using VoIP via the USA are
cheaper than calls directly dialed from my Malaysian phone, I still end up
direct-dialing because the delay is so annoying.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 36 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Jordan, Turkey, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Israel

ChrisR 04-13-2005 10:30 AM

Re: Cordless phone via ATA via RJ45 router with no provider possible?
 
Thanks Miguel,

that was very useful!


ChrisR 04-13-2005 10:35 AM

Re: Cordless phone via ATA via RJ45 router with no provider possible?
 
Oh, and if I may, what ATA should I be looking at for the straighfoward
RJ45 setup I have in mind? Where can I find such a thing as there don't
appear to be any availabe in NZ.

Ian 04-13-2005 10:03 PM

Re: Cordless phone via ATA via RJ45 router with no provider possible?
 
<SNIP>
> >

>
> Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm having trouble visualising how it
> all fits together. For instance,
>
> do I need an ATA adapter which is specific or constructed by a
> particular provider? If not, how does the ATA which is plugged into my
> router know the ip of the provider or where to send the data?
>

The ATA has the info programmed into it.

> If I don't have a provider, how can I then make a P2P call to another
> voip user? The ATA is just a digitizing device and knows nothing else..?
>

No The ATA is the device that will let you make the call

> Does it matter where the provider is located? I'm in New Zealand...
>

No realy The important thing is latancy, So if you intend to call
people mainly in NZ use an NZ supplier , But for example if you are
going to use it to contact people in the UK use a UK supplier get a UK
number and that way they call you on a UK number IF they dont have
voip and you can call them at local rate if they dont have voip or you
do a P2P call

Have a google the are some very good voip companies in NZ
http://www.sineapps.com are down south in Dunedin for example.

Ian.

Marc H.Popek 04-26-2005 02:52 PM

Re: Cordless phone via ATA via RJ45 router with no provider possible?
 
these move fasts..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9294&ssPageNam
e=STRK:MESE:IT


http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3850&ssPageNam
e=STRK:MESE:IT

"ChrisR" <chrisr@es.co.nz> wrote in message
news:d3fn8n$3b1$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
> I'm new at this, so if anyone could provide a little information that
> would be great.
>
> I'd like to use my cordless phone to place voip calls so I know I need a
> ATA analogue telephone adapter. I'd like to plug the ATA into my Dlink
> router via an ethernet RJ45 port so I don't need the computer running in
> order to place a call. It also means other family members are not tied
> down to my computer as with USB/Headset software solutions.
>
> The thing is, can I then make a P2P call to another voip user if I don't
> have a provider? Must I absolutely have a provider if I don't want to
> use a software solution or a USB solution?
>
> Thankyou.





All times are GMT. The time now is 05:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.