Velocity Reviews

-   -   2 Sipgate numbers behind one router..? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t233578-2-sipgate-numbers-behind-one-router.html)

Ivor Jones 01-20-2005 10:03 PM

2 Sipgate numbers behind one router..?

Anyone know how to set up two Sipgate accounts behind a single router..? I
currently have a Grandstream ATA-486 running behind a Netgear DM602
modem/router and I'd like to add a second account. Initially I'd like to
get this working on X-Lite, but if I can do this ok I'd maybe invest in
either a second ATA-486 or a 2-port device such as one of the Sipura
range.

Can anyone advise me of the correct settings to allow X-Lite to function
in this way..? I tried the default settings but it wouldn't log on and
although I can originate calls from the second account it won't respond to
incoming calls (returns busy tone) and shows as offline on the Sipgate
site.

I have emailed Sipgate but while waiting for a response I thought I'd ask
here.

Ivor

Martin² 01-21-2005 01:59 AM

Re: 2 Sipgate numbers behind one router..?

Sipgate state somewhere that they don't support it.

As I can figure out, both 'lines' come via the same port and there is no way
to program the router to which phone (IP)
to forward the call.
Draytek 2600V routers have two VoIP ports, but AFAIK at the moment they
can't handle two 'lines', although
Draytek is hinting it will be possible with a later firmware. Not sure just
how they propose to do it.
Regards,
Martin

Dave 01-21-2005 11:18 AM

"Martin²" <never@give.one> wrote in message
> Sipgate state somewhere that they don't support it.
>
> As I can figure out, both 'lines' come via the same port and there is no

way
> to program the router to which phone (IP)
> to forward the call.
> Draytek 2600V routers have two VoIP ports, but AFAIK at the moment they
> can't handle two 'lines', although
> Draytek is hinting it will be possible with a later firmware. Not sure

just
> how they propose to do it.
> Regards,
> Martin

So what does the other port do on the Draytek?
Dave..

Julian Thornhill 01-21-2005 12:40 PM

"Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message

> Anyone know how to set up two Sipgate accounts behind a single router..? I
> currently have a Grandstream ATA-486 running behind a Netgear DM602
> modem/router and I'd like to add a second account. Initially I'd like to
> get this working on X-Lite, but if I can do this ok I'd maybe invest in
> either a second ATA-486 or a 2-port device such as one of the Sipura
> range.

BT-101: How do I configure two or more SIP terminals in a network? (Content
Overview: )

In order to allow two SIP terminals on a network to operate behind one
router, you must make the following configuration changes.

Configuration of the IP devices
Reconfigure the DHCP mode and assign a static IP address to both devices.

Call the IP address of a device in the browser.

The devices are pre-configured on the following ports:

a.. Listen SIP Port: 5060

a.. Listen RTP Port: 5004

Make the following changes on one of your SIP devices:

a.. Listen SIP Port: 5061

a.. Listen RTP Port: 5005

Click on "Update" in order to make the changes take effect.

Configuring the router
Adjust the router to forward ports 5061 and 5005 to the IP of the equipment,
in the configurations menu in which you made the changes! i.e.-Your router.

If you want to use more than two IP devices in a network, using one router,
proceed as described above, but number those ports sequentially in the
configuration menu of the device.

Configure these ports to route traffic the same way. For a third IP device
for example:

a.. Listen SIP Port: 5062

a.. Listen RTP Port: 5006

Jonathan Pearson 01-21-2005 01:17 PM

Ivor Jones wrote:
> Can anyone advise me of the correct settings to allow X-Lite to
> function in this way..? I tried the default settings but it wouldn't
> log on and although I can originate calls from the second account it
> won't respond to incoming calls (returns busy tone) and shows as
> offline on the Sipgate site.
>
> I have emailed Sipgate but while waiting for a response I thought I'd
> ask here.

When I was having problems with the ATA-486 displaying the CLI (still an
only found 1 phone which will display the CLI: BT Synergy DECT), I checked
the use random port on the ATA config (rather than the default 5060, 5004) -
it still worked, as the use random port option is for your exact case maybe
you could give it a go!

Jon

John Geddes 01-21-2005 02:39 PM

Re: 2 Sipgate numbers behind one router..?

Sipura 2000 should be able to do this - the device has one IP address and
two ports for POTS phones (with separate setup parameters). My presumption
was that the Sipgate warning to use just one phone came from the fact that
they do not supply two-phone adapters themselves, and that it is a one-IP
restriction rather than a one-phone restriction.

But I have not made my Sipura 2000 work yet - my Netgear RP614 (v2) router
is rather crude in Port-Forwarding options, and won't work even with xLite.
I am yet to identify an affordable non-wifi router that will work well with
Sipgate and the Sipura. (Suggestions welcome).

John Geddes
Derbyshire UK

sean 01-21-2005 03:51 PM

Re: 2 Sipgate numbers behind one router..?

The cisco ATA 186 can do this, mine does do this :)

and the two numbers are very similer :)

Ivor Jones 01-21-2005 04:29 PM

"John Geddes" <john@st4rm4rkassociates.co.uk> wrote in message
> Sipura 2000 should be able to do this - the device has one IP address
> and two ports for POTS phones (with separate setup parameters). My
> presumption was that the Sipgate warning to use just one phone came from
> the fact that they do not supply two-phone adapters themselves, and that
> it is a one-IP restriction rather than a one-phone restriction.
>
> But I have not made my Sipura 2000 work yet - my Netgear RP614 (v2)
> router is rather crude in Port-Forwarding options, and won't work even
> with xLite. I am yet to identify an affordable non-wifi router that will
> work well with Sipgate and the Sipura. (Suggestions welcome).

As I said, I'm using a Netgear DM602 modem/router (single port, connected
to external hub) and it works fine with my Grandstream ATA-486. Don't want
to spend more money on something like the Sipura until I *know* it's going
to work..!

Ivor

Dave Gill 01-21-2005 07:08 PM

Jonathan Pearson <j.pearson@REMOVEtelco4u.net> wrote:

> When I was having problems with the ATA-486 displaying the CLI (still an
> only found 1 phone which will display the CLI: BT Synergy DECT), I checked
> the use random port on the ATA config (rather than the default 5060, 5004) -
> it still worked, as the use random port option is for your exact case maybe
> you could give it a go!

I found that my tatty old Siemens-built BT Dect displays CLI fine, but
needs a ring capacitor to make it ring, while my newer Sagem-built BT
Dect won't display CLI but doesn't need the ring capacitor...

Fortunately Sipgate supplied an adapter with a ring capacitor with the
ATA-486.

Ivor Jones 01-21-2005 08:15 PM

Dave Gill wrote:
> Jonathan Pearson <j.pearson@REMOVEtelco4u.net> wrote:
>
>> When I was having problems with the ATA-486 displaying the CLI
>> (still an only found 1 phone which will display the CLI: BT
>> Synergy DECT), I checked the use random port on the ATA config
>> (rather than the default 5060, 5004) - it still worked, as the use
>> random port option is for your exact case maybe you could give it
>> a go!

> I found that my tatty old Siemens-built BT Dect displays CLI fine,
> but needs a ring capacitor to make it ring, while my newer
> Sagem-built BT Dect won't display CLI but doesn't need the ring
> capacitor...
>
> Fortunately Sipgate supplied an adapter with a ring capacitor with
> the ATA-486.

I never got one of those, I had to get one from Maplins..!

BTW re. the original post, I finally got it working, by fiddling with the
port numbers on X-Lite and in the router, but succeeded in locking up both
the router and the ATA-486..!

Methinks this project requires some more thought..!

Ivor