Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: ISP blocking VOIP (H323) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t232867-re-isp-blocking-voip-h323.html)

webhardy 04-06-2004 12:55 PM

Re: ISP blocking VOIP (H323)

spice_isle98@yahoo.com (spice) wrote in message news:<4a4233a6.0403201426.577c94c7@posting.google. com>...
> I tried several different port numbers and I am getting the same
> results. The ISP have some tools that might be blocking RTP or H245
> message.
>

> "Stuart Friedman" <stu@nospam.na> wrote in message news:<pd66c.13159$t16.7657549@newssvr28.news.prodi gy.com>...
> > Are you sure about this. There was a long discussion about how difficult
> > this is to do on DSL reports. One of the participants was the president of
> > a VOIP company (broadvox) and while we agreed that you could block ports
> > that other than that any solution would impair performance of other
> > applications such as online gaming.
> >
> > tu
> >
> > "spice" <spice_isle98@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:4a4233a6.0403151513.191cb60d@posting.google.c om...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > My ISP started blocking VOIP. I tried different port numbers and I
> > > get the same results. We are using H323. Any suggestions?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > sp

I'd like to know where they block these ports. Are they blocking
ports outbound (out of their network to me)? Are they blocking these
ports at peering points? A friend of mine is trying to get a Cisco
7940 working across cable and it looks like its not working because
the ISP is not passing ports. On a side note, he tried IPBlue and it
works fine but it appears that IPBlue is only using port 2000. Most
of the ports required are passing UDP rather than TCP so is that a
factor? Could the ISP just be blocking UDP?? Any thoughts would be
greatly appreciated.