Velocity Reviews

-   -   help with one way audio problem please (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t232665-help-with-one-way-audio-problem-please.html)

Stacy E 12-05-2003 12:10 AM

help with one way audio problem please

Hi! We have an Intertel phone system that supports voip, allowing us to have
a phone connection at our remote office. We have had various intermittent
problems with it for a while ...nothing too major. However, Tuesday in the
middle of the day, we lost sound one way. The person calling in can hear us,
but we can't hear them. No sound at all. But they hear us clearly.

The remote office has a static ip/ partial T1, its own router, etc, so there
is plenty there to support it. This past Friday we replaced our router at
our main location. We reconfigured the ports and everything, and all that
has been checked and double-checked and all seems configured ok on that end.
And the phone worked fine both ways from when we replaced the router Friday
until Tuesady afternoon.

Not saying it CAN'T be some sort of router issue, but it just seems odd. Can
anyone please offer me some advice on how to fix this issue? Our phone
system provider responds with "we don't support routers, etc ....just phone
equipment". And of course the router manufacturer (and our on-call IT
person) says they don't handle voip issues, while the phone system
manufacturer says call your phone system provider. Argh! Any suggestions
please??!

Thanks,
Stacy

Stacy E 12-11-2003 12:45 AM

Re: help with one way audio problem please

To answer my own question, I got around the issue by setting up a VPN
between our two locations. Now I don't have to worry about port issues.
However, this leaves me with another question (that hopefully someone will
reply to!). The IKE life time is set for 8 hours, which is the maximum the
router will allow. At that point, I understand the connection will
disconnect/ refresh and reconnect. Does that mean my phone will disconnect
and reconnect at that time? It sure sounds that way to me, but that seems
awfully inconvenient ...especially in a business environment. Can anyone
please give me some suggestions??

Thanks!
Stacy

darren 12-14-2003 11:35 AM

Re: help with one way audio problem please

I think all that will happen atfter 8 hours is the security association will
be re-negotiated on UDP port 500 while the data still whizzes through on
protocols 50 & 51

darren
news:D3PBb.15271$ou2.6954@bignews5.bellsouth.net.. .

Stacy E 12-14-2003 04:40 PM

Re: help with one way audio problem please

Thanks! I hope that is the way it works out. Hopefully I'll find out Monday
....the guy that uses the ip phone has been out sick and should be in then.

news:3fdc4ada$0$18748$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...