Velocity Reviews

-   -   Getting Vonage working thru regular wall mounted phone jacks (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t232534-getting-vonage-working-thru-regular-wall-mounted-phone-jacks.html)

ialexei 10-08-2003 04:19 PM

Getting Vonage working thru regular wall mounted phone jacks

Hi,

I recently got Vonage and I am truly impressed with its price,
features and clarity. My verizon line becomes inactive from today and
I am looking for a way to get Vonage working thru the regular wall
mounted phone jacks (Somehow disconnect the verizon line and plug the
ATA instead).

What do I need to get this working ? If anyone has done this pls post
how you accomplished it.

-Alexei

Miguel Cruz 10-08-2003 05:23 PM

Re: Getting Vonage working thru regular wall mounted phone jacks

ialexei <ialexei@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I recently got Vonage and I am truly impressed with its price,
> features and clarity. My verizon line becomes inactive from today and
> I am looking for a way to get Vonage working thru the regular wall
> mounted phone jacks (Somehow disconnect the verizon line and plug the
> ATA instead).
>
> What do I need to get this working ? If anyone has done this pls post
> how you accomplished it.

1) You need to be very careful or you could damage the ATA-186.

2) Identify where phone service enters your home. If it's a house, it's
probably a network interface box (book-sized gray plastic thing) in your
basement.

3) You should do this BEFORE your Verizon line gets disconnected, so you are
sure you've correctly identified the ingress point.

4) Disconnect the little plug inside, severing your internal wiring from the
external wiring.

5) Verify that you no longer have dial tone at any jack in your house.

6) Reconnect and verify that you DO have dial tone.

7) Now that you know how to disconnect it, and are absolutely sure that
disconnecting it cut off every jack you'll ever use, you can just leave the
outside disconnected, and plug the ATA-186 into any spare phone jack (use
the "line 1" connector on the ATA-186. If you have a phone you want to use
there too, just get one of those tiny splitters for $1).

8) It's possible that you have weird wiring topology problems which lead to
less-than-perfect results this way. In that case you should bring the thing
to the basement and connect it the same way the phone company line was
connected. This probably won't be necessary though.

If it's too late and your Verizon line has already been disconnected, I
personally wouldn't try connecting the ATA-186 to my wiring unless I
understood my home's phone wiring topology well and could confirm that
there weren't any other old ingress points for phone lines.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.

Airperson@nowhere.biz 10-08-2003 05:29 PM

Miguel Cruz wrote:

> 1) You need to be very careful or you could damage the ATA-186.
>
> 2) Identify where phone service enters your home. If it's a house, it's
> probably a network interface box (book-sized gray plastic thing) in your
> basement.
>
> 3) You should do this BEFORE your Verizon line gets disconnected, so you are
> sure you've correctly identified the ingress point.
>
> 4) Disconnect the little plug inside, severing your internal wiring from the
> external wiring.
>
> 5) Verify that you no longer have dial tone at any jack in your house.
>
> 6) Reconnect and verify that you DO have dial tone.
>
> 7) Now that you know how to disconnect it, and are absolutely sure that
> disconnecting it cut off every jack you'll ever use, you can just leave the
> outside disconnected, and plug the ATA-186 into any spare phone jack (use
> the "line 1" connector on the ATA-186. If you have a phone you want to use
> there too, just get one of those tiny splitters for $1).
>
> 8) It's possible that you have weird wiring topology problems which lead to
> less-than-perfect results this way. In that case you should bring the thing
> to the basement and connect it the same way the phone company line was
> connected. This probably won't be necessary though.
>
> If it's too late and your Verizon line has already been disconnected, I
> personally wouldn't try connecting the ATA-186 to my wiring unless I
> understood my home's phone wiring topology well and could confirm that
> there weren't any other old ingress points for phone lines.
>
> miguel
> --
> Hit The Road! Photos and tales from around the world: http://travel.u.nu
> Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.

Or, use a cordless phone. ;-)

Plato 10-08-2003 08:42 PM

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 17:23:57 GMT, mnc@admin.u.nu (Miguel Cruz) wrote:

>ialexei <ialexei@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I recently got Vonage and I am truly impressed with its price,
>> features and clarity. My verizon line becomes inactive from today and
>> I am looking for a way to get Vonage working thru the regular wall
>> mounted phone jacks (Somehow disconnect the verizon line and plug the
>> ATA instead).
>>
>> What do I need to get this working ? If anyone has done this pls post
>> how you accomplished it.

>1) You need to be very careful or you could damage the ATA-186.
>
>2) Identify where phone service enters your home. If it's a house, it's
>probably a network interface box (book-sized gray plastic thing) in your
>basement.
>
>3) You should do this BEFORE your Verizon line gets disconnected, so you are
>sure you've correctly identified the ingress point.
>
>4) Disconnect the little plug inside, severing your internal wiring from the
>external wiring.

wouldnt't this also disconnect the DSL?

Miguel Cruz 10-08-2003 09:28 PM

Plato <ibeplato@yahoo.com> wrote:
> mnc@admin.u.nu (Miguel Cruz) wrote:
>> ialexei <ialexei@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> I recently got Vonage and I am truly impressed with its price,
>>> features and clarity. My verizon line becomes inactive from today and
>>> I am looking for a way to get Vonage working thru the regular wall
>>> mounted phone jacks (Somehow disconnect the verizon line and plug the
>>> ATA instead).

>> 4) Disconnect the little plug inside, severing your internal wiring from
>> the external wiring.

> wouldnt't this also disconnect the DSL?

Excellent point. If he's got DSL with a provider that does line sharing,
then some splitter gymnastics and possibly additional wiring will be
required.

On the other hand, he also won't be able to cancel his Verizon line anyway
in that case.

ialexei 10-13-2003 02:24 AM

Re: Getting Vonage working thru regular wall mounted phone jacks

Thank you for the excellent advice.
I have cable not DSL.

root 10-13-2003 02:44 AM

Re: Getting Vonage working thru regular wall mounted phone jacks

I thought Vonage uses and FXS device made by Cisco with model ATA-186.

ialexei wrote:

> Thank you for the excellent advice.
> I have cable not DSL.
>
> mnc@admin.u.nu (Miguel Cruz) wrote in message
> news:<Qj%gb.32157$3b7.15551@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>. ..
>> Plato <ibeplato@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> > wouldnt't this also disconnect the DSL?

>> Excellent point. If he's got DSL with a provider that does line sharing,
>> then some splitter gymnastics and possibly additional wiring will be
>> required.
>>
>> On the other hand, he also won't be able to cancel his Verizon line
>> anyway in that case.
>>
>> miguel

root/administrator

Alan Spicer 10-13-2003 10:03 AM

"Plato" <ibeplato@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 17:23:57 GMT, mnc@admin.u.nu (Miguel Cruz) wrote:
>
> wouldnt't this also disconnect the DSL?

* You know ... you've got a point there ... if you had DSL on a line and you
disconnected it you would no longer have DSL and your Vonage Service would
not work so good ;-)

But if they've got Cable (or something else like Fiber to the Home) they
might be ok.

I live in an apartment and I remember awhile back locating my phone line
pairs (I've got 2 lines) out in the meter room on the Telco 110 block. I
think I actually took a princess phone rigged to be a simple butt set
(simple test set) and did the dial test that reads the phone number. I think
I might have tested first with a cordless phone ... took my best guess
(because two lines close together might be connected sequentially together
on the board ... and disconnected on wire of a pair and heard the dial-tone
drop. Then dialed 200-555-1212 after reconnecting it and the phone number
was correct.

The point is ... in an apartment or condo or similar you'd have to have it
disconnected out in the meter or telco room.

Another trick might be to figure out by exploration where your line pairs
are first connected at your premises. I think many are like mine were here
in an apartment. After taking the cover off of the Kitchen wall phone jack
.... I found that this was the cross-connect where the other outlets were
connected in the apartment. (Actually there was only 1 other outlet here).
There is also two pairs of wires ... in a single jack wall outlet they are
Red/Green and Black/Yellow. You gotta make sure that you are dealing with
the right phone line (pair of wires). In my case the 2nd pair wasn't cross
connected into the bedroom. (How many people have a 2nd line, right?). Also
they recently installed an alarm system and extended an additional outlet to
a third room for the alarm system to dial out on. I didn't want the alarm
anyway but I did like that I could now put the 2nd line into the kids room.
I think I switched the ordering of the 1st and second lines so that a normal
single line phone could get the 2nd line in the kids room, but my room and
the kitchen still had them in the original order (for two line phones).

Anyway my long drawn out explanation tells you basically that you could make
sure that all possible incoming lines are disconnected at the main jack (as
the other guy said ... best tested with a live TELCO dial-tone) and then
your inside wiring becomes solely your own ... you would then be off the
grid of the TELCO switch.

Be darned CAREFULL!!!! Because these wires contain voltage. You could get a
pretty good electrical shock.

Oh and you probably should tag anything that you remove ... probably with a
note not to reconnect without the homeowners permission. And document
anything you do so if you move others (like the TELCO) might have a clue.

This is a pretty good link with wiring colors that telco uses
http://www.connectworld.net/global/t...default100.htm.

---
Alan Spicer (a_spicerNOSPAM@bellsouth.net)
http://aspicer.homelinux.net/
aspicer3764.tsps2.freenet6.net 3ffe:bc0:8000::14b3
Systems and Network Administration,
and Telecommunications
(954) 977-5245

Alan Spicer 10-13-2003 11:00 AM

Re: Getting Vonage working thru regular wall mounted phone jacks

* That's a good question, right? The wall jack in your home is what? FXS
right? And the ATA-186 is what? FXS right? And your standard telephone is
what? FXO right?

You can't connect an FXS to an FXS, nor an FXO to an FXO right? (usually
right!)

Normally these things are true when you are talking about live services
(e.g. from TELCO CO to your home jacks) and Telephone devices. You have to
have an FXO device to connect to the TELCO jack which is FXS.

But what happened when the TELCO wiring was disconnected from your home FXS
jack? It isn't there anymore is it? So what if we replace the FXS service
that the TELCO provided with one that ATA-186 provides?

You are basically doing connection replacing the TELCO, right?? The wiring
of the jack to the other jacks in the home should be just parallel connected
copper wires right? The pins should be the same. Tip-1 and Ring-1. Tell me
if I am wrong but this just extends the ATA-186 to the house telephone
wiring and jacks.

FXS -> points to the subscriber
FXO -> points to the Central Office

The ATA is now the Central Office. And it just got connected to your house
wiring as if it were coming in from outside from the TELCO.

Here's an interesting site ...
http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/phone_wiring.html

"root" <root@localhost.com,administrator@localhost.com> wrote in message

> I thought Vonage uses and FXS device made by Cisco with model ATA-186.
>

> ialexei wrote:
>
> > Thank you for the excellent advice.
> > I have cable not DSL.

> root/administrator