Velocity Reviews

-   -   VoIP, network analysis software, etc... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t232533-voip-network-analysis-software-etc.html)

.zor@n. 10-08-2003 11:02 AM

VoIP, network analysis software, etc...

Hello,

I'm a student, and I would like to do some practical research about
VoIP within campus network.

The idea is to generate some VoIP traffic between 2 locations
connected via loaded 2 Mbit link. What I need is a suitable software
to make an analysis of described case, primary for network monitoring,
measuring relevant parameters and, eventually, simulating different
types of traffic (not necessarily, but it would be nice).
Another question is about client-software for producing VoIP calls. I
was considering something like Netmeeting, but on second thought, it
would be very useful to have something more customizable (with
possibility of choosing a codec, etc..).

The final problem is that I need a freeware/open-source solutions, if
it is possible. I know there is many commercial solutions for those
purposes, but I can't afford them to myself because they mainly costs
thousands of dollars (talking about network analysis tool).
In worse case, even some usable shareware could help.
At last, I really don't need some fancy networking tool, just a piece
of software that can capture some relevant informations for me.

So, any constructively suggestions are welcome.
Thanks.

--
"Usenet is not a democracy."
zoran_b[at]hi.hinet.hr

TC 10-08-2003 02:39 PM

Re: VoIP, network analysis software, etc...

You are in www.asterisk.org land here :)
you can set asterisk up & it will talk
SIP, H323, SCCP (aka skinny), IAX, TDM using anyone of u/aLaw, gsm, ilibc,
speex, g729
then pick something like xlite www.xten.com or any of the other SIP
softphone
see http://www.iptelephony.org/frame/ven...nt-phones.html
or
voxilla.com

Arnold Ligtvoet 10-08-2003 08:56 PM

..zor@n. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm a student, and I would like to do some practical research about
> VoIP within campus network.
>
> The idea is to generate some VoIP traffic between 2 locations
> connected via loaded 2 Mbit link. What I need is a suitable software
> to make an analysis of described case, primary for network monitoring,
> measuring relevant parameters and, eventually, simulating different
> types of traffic (not necessarily, but it would be nice).
> Another question is about client-software for producing VoIP calls. I
> was considering something like Netmeeting, but on second thought, it
> would be very useful to have something more customizable (with
> possibility of choosing a codec, etc..).
>
> The final problem is that I need a freeware/open-source solutions, if
> it is possible. I know there is many commercial solutions for those
> purposes, but I can't afford them to myself because they mainly costs
> thousands of dollars (talking about network analysis tool).
> In worse case, even some usable shareware could help.
> At last, I really don't need some fancy networking tool, just a piece
> of software that can capture some relevant informations for me.
>
> So, any constructively suggestions are welcome.
> Thanks.

Hi,

I have composed a system that gathered various forms of data from the
network and graphed that with MRTG. All software was in the public
domain running on a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) system.

I found some tools for bandwith monitoring at:
http://freshmeat.net/projects/bing/?topic_id=861
http://www.slac.stanford.edu/xorg/nm...ls.html#public

Personally I used bing for bandwidth estimates, monitored latency and
jitter. From these values I guessed a MOS value based on some research
reports I found and real-life tests proved that the system was fairly
accurate.

Arnold

Gary Gapinski 10-09-2003 01:16 PM

Re: VoIP, network analysis software, etc...

See

Alan Kennington's simulation software links
(http://www.topology.org/soft/sim.html),

NIST Net
(http://snad.ncsl.nist.gov/itg/nistnet/index.html),

and