Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to use PC instead of HAG to make VoIP Calls (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t232354-how-to-use-pc-instead-of-hag-to-make-voip-calls.html)

Daevon 07-14-2003 04:04 AM

How to use PC instead of HAG to make VoIP Calls

Hi
My telephony provider uses ethernet cabling and an HomeAreaGateway to give
me telephony service.

I've managed to enter to enter in the HAG config page and take all the
needed data to make a call. (all the H323 config I mean)

In fact, using OpenPhone I can even manage to connect to my Gatekeeper using
my account.. the problem is, when I need to make a call, OpenPhone promts me
for an IP address and a Gateway... but i need to put in it a standard
telephone number!

How can I do? I want to (legally) use my pc as a telephone and answering
machne instead of using the standard telephone set... it is possible
according to you?

many many thanks
Daevon

Daevon 07-15-2003 01:50 AM

Re: How to use PC instead of HAG to make VoIP Calls

Below you can see the config screen for my HAG, real addresses substituted with "x":

Gateway

Configuration

Network Configuration(update)

Using fixed IP
Mac address 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.156
IP netmask 255.255.255.128
IP gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.254
DNS server xxx.xxx.xxx.1
DNS name xxxxxx.xxx

Security Configuration(change)

No password installed

DHCP Server Configuration(update)

DHCP SERVER DISABLED

H.323 Configuration(update)

Gatekeeper IP Address: 1xx.xx.xx.3
KeepAlive: 60
Dial plan: xx.T
H323 Alias: CPV-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <(My name here)
InterDigit: 5
Line 1 Phone Number: 0xxxxxxxx <(My Telephone number here)
Modem Transmission: ENABLED
Fax Transmission: ENABLED
Allowed CID Presentation: ENABLED
Line 2 Phone Number:
Modem Transmission: DISABLED
Fax Transmission: DISABLED
Allowed CID Presentation: DISABLED

Clock Configuration(update)

Timezone: GMT+1:00
Daylight savings time

SNMP Configuration(update)

SNMP ENABLED

Code Version

Hw Version: 1.2
Loader Version: 2.4
Application Version: 2.8.4

This HAG is a simple device: It has an
Ethernet IN, an Ethernet Out (it's kind of a passthru device, even if it got
an IP address of its own) and an RJ11 standard phone jack.
I just want to get rid of this HAG, give my PC it's IP address, and use my
pc to make and receive calls. Do you think it is possible? And afaik,
OpenPhone doesn't allow to make calls to other than IP addresses... do there
is some other software?

Again, MANY thanks to everyone!

Daevon