Velocity Reviews

-   -   Asterix question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t232320-asterix-question.html)

Shark 07-02-2003 08:47 PM

Asterix question

I need to terminate VoIP traffic from USA on one location in Europe where I
have 1 E1 (30 ISDN channels) and 512 mbps Internet access.

Quality of service must be pretty good. From my understanding I need one
Linux server running Asterix and Digium Wildcard E100P. All termination is
originated from one location. I need also database of call records so I can
see how much traffic is terminated in one period of time.

Is Asterix good solution for this job?

Miguel Cruz 07-02-2003 10:28 PM

Re: Asterix question

Shark <rijeka@altavista.net> wrote:
> I need to terminate VoIP traffic from USA on one location in Europe where I
> have 1 E1 (30 ISDN channels) and 512 mbps Internet access.
>
> Quality of service must be pretty good. From my understanding I need one
> Linux server running Asterix and Digium Wildcard E100P. All termination is
> originated from one location. I need also database of call records so I can
> see how much traffic is terminated in one period of time.
>
> Is Asterix good solution for this job?

Asterisk will do all that easily.

I think your bigger problem is going to be squeezing 30 voice calls into
512 megabits.

miguel

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 07-02-2003 11:33 PM

Re: Asterix question

mnc@admin.u.nu (Miguel Cruz) writes:
> I think your bigger problem is going to be squeezing 30 voice calls into
> 512 megabits.

Aren't 30 calls just 2 Megabits/sec?

-wolfgang

Shark 07-03-2003 11:39 AM

Re: Asterix question

"Miguel Cruz" <mnc@admin.u.nu> wrote in message
> Shark <rijeka@altavista.net> wrote:
> > I need to terminate VoIP traffic from USA on one location in Europe

where I
> > have 1 E1 (30 ISDN channels) and 512 mbps Internet access.
> >
> > Quality of service must be pretty good. From my understanding I need one
> > Linux server running Asterix and Digium Wildcard E100P. All termination

is
> > originated from one location. I need also database of call records so I

can
> > see how much traffic is terminated in one period of time.
> >
> > Is Asterix good solution for this job?

> Asterisk will do all that easily.
>
> I think your bigger problem is going to be squeezing 30 voice calls into
> 512 megabits.
>
> miguel

Sorry, this was a mistake in writing, I meant 512 kbps.

This bandwith can be upgraded, what is optimal for 30 voice calls?

All calls are originating from USA, from regular telephone network,
converted by Cicso 5300 and/or Quintum Tenor VoIP gateways. Asterix should
terminate this traffic and use standard protocols which this gateways use.
Is it ok solution?

How strong computer must be to decompress 30 voice chanells?

Thank you a lot in advance!

Jeremy McNamara 07-03-2003 07:00 PM

Re: Asterix question

With IAX2 Trunking you should be able to squeeze 96 calls into 1.536 mbps.

Jeremy McNamara

shido 07-13-2003 04:28 AM

Re: Asterix question

For only 30 channels of voice you wont need anything beefy beyond a 600 mhz
PC, it depends on what the big picture is, what codecs do you plan to use,
what protocols?
Asterisk can handle a multitide of codecs and protocols but the more I know
about your project the better I can respond with something that will scale.
Outside of what you've mentioned already, is there anything else you want it
to do?

Keep in mind Asterisk is:

Heterogeneous Voice over IP gateway (MGCP, SIP, H.323,IAX)
Private Branch eXchange (PBX)
Custom Interactive Voice Response (IVR) server
Softswitch
Conferencing server
Number translation
Calling card application
Predictive dialer
Call queuing with remote agents
Remote offices for existing PBX
Voicemail server

And can be a complete telephone solution with support, a custom GUI and
Billing Platform from The NuFone Network.

Greg Merriweather
Systems Engineer
The NuFone Network
G.Merriweather@nufone.net