Velocity Reviews

-   -   Symantec Ghost across VLANS routed by cisco router (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t232268-symantec-ghost-across-vlans-routed-by-cisco-router.html)

amfony 04-30-2006 07:50 AM

Symantec Ghost across VLANS routed by cisco router

Thats the problem, i got it to work by reading from this community and
added the lines "ip pim sparse-dense" to all vlan related interfaces.

Now my problem is that my symantec ghost sessions went from approx 5 -
7 minutes to now 20 - 30 mintues.

Thats unacceptable as anyone can see. What has gone wrong and why would
this occur if my router is 2821, which has dual gigabit ethernet ports.

Thanks for your time.

Mark Williams 05-01-2006 03:17 PM

Re: Symantec Ghost across VLANS routed by cisco router

Is the time difference you mentioned the difference between single-vlan
multicasting and routed multicast traffic? Or did you mean the
difference between unicast and routed multicast?

Ghost adjusts its multicast rate to the slowest system in the network
(the Master Client). With multicasting enabled, Ghost may be reaching a
very slow client on your net that you didn't see before. Even though
you have gigabit ethernet ports, routing the multicast traffic will
introduce some latency that wasn't present on a single VLAN.

jbrunner007@hotmail.com 05-01-2006 06:34 PM

Re: Symantec Ghost across VLANS routed by cisco router

even though the 2821 may have gigabit ports, it is unlikely that it has
that much throughput capabilities (125MB per second). it probably has
about 60 Mbps of forwarding capacity, so one asks why the gigabit
interfaces to begin with - a marketing ploy by Cisco to make you think
you're getting a big boy router!

Well you need a layer 3 switch like the 3750 to alleviate these
problems... or ghost within on vlan !

MC 05-01-2006 10:46 PM

jbrunner007@hotmail.com wrote:
> even though the 2821 may have gigabit ports, it is unlikely that it has
> that much throughput capabilities (125MB per second). it probably has
> about 60 Mbps of forwarding capacity, so one asks why the gigabit
> interfaces to begin with - a marketing ploy by Cisco to make you think
> you're getting a big boy router!
>
> Well you need a layer 3 switch like the 3750 to alleviate these
> problems... or ghost within on vlan !
>
> Mark Williams wrote:
>
>>Is the time difference you mentioned the difference between single-vlan
>>multicasting and routed multicast traffic? Or did you mean the
>>difference between unicast and routed multicast?
>>
>>Ghost adjusts its multicast rate to the slowest system in the network
>>(the Master Client). With multicasting enabled, Ghost may be reaching a
>>very slow client on your net that you didn't see before. Even though
>>you have gigabit ethernet ports, routing the multicast traffic will
>>introduce some latency that wasn't present on a single VLAN.

where did you getthose specs on the 2821 router ?

We got one and actual throughput testing on our netowrk showed much
higher than that.

I would like to see what the listed performance specs are supposed to be,

Thanks

Walter Roberson 05-02-2006 04:04 AM

Re: Symantec Ghost across VLANS routed by cisco router

In article <x2w5g.25146$iB2.22070@bignews4.bellsouth.net>,
MC <mwclarke1@yahoo.com> wrote:
>where did you getthose specs on the 2821 router ?

>We got one and actual throughput testing on our netowrk showed much
>higher than that.

>I would like to see what the listed performance specs are supposed to be,

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765...erformance.pdf

2821: 90,000 pps CEF, 87.04 megabit/s

anybody43@hotmail.com 05-02-2006 07:46 AM

Re: Symantec Ghost across VLANS routed by cisco router

> 2821: 90,000 pps CEF, 87.04 megabit/s

Hmmm, by my reading of the table the 2821 does:-

2821 170,000 87.04

(the clue is that these figures are all in the same row:-))<g>

The document states that this assumes min size Ethernet packets (512
bits)

If the average packet size is larger then the Mbps
throughput will be larger.

170,000 pps could represent something close to full duplex Gigabit
with 12,500 bit packets.

I have a 2811 here. Maybe I could give it a whirl.
Probably not today though.

Walter Roberson 05-02-2006 08:21 AM

Re: Symantec Ghost across VLANS routed by cisco router

In article <1146555971.949186.179910@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups .com>,
<anybody43@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> 2821: 90,000 pps CEF, 87.04 megabit/s

>Hmmm, by my reading of the table the 2821 does:-

> 2821 170,000 87.04

>(the clue is that these figures are all in the same row:-))<g>

Opps, my eyes jumped lines when I was transcribing.