Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cannot connect (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t232223-cannot-connect.html)

Paradigm 04-29-2006 05:14 PM

Cannot connect

When I use my laptop in the same room as my D-Link Dl-500 wireless router I
can connect to the internet and other computers on my network. When I move
to another room I cannot. In both cases the signal strength is reported as
excellent. The next room is only a few metres away and the walls are simple
brick and plaster.
I used to use a Belkin wireless access point before replacing it with the
router. I replaced it so that I no longer needed my four port hub, wireless
access point and firewall. With the Belkin I could connect from anywhere in
the house. The D-Link air extreme plus says that it should have a better
signal strength.
I am looking at buying a wireless repeater.
Anyone any suggestions.
Alec

Jack 04-29-2006 11:16 PM

Re: Cannot connect

Hi

May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html

Wireless Coverage depends heavily on the Specific Environment. In most
cases, there is No Magic Hardware that can solve Distance issues.

Look at these pages they describe most of the options that are within the
means of Entry Level users, and choose the one that fits you environment
best.

Extending the Distance of Entry Level Wireless Network -
http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html

Wirelessly Bridging Home/SOHO Network - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html

I Gain Antenna for Entry Level Wireless - http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html

The most common solution used in a Professional Environment involves use of
multiple units (Access Point) connected with wire to the Network. Or WDS for
WDS to work well you should use the same manfacturer Hardware,
http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

Paradigm 04-30-2006 10:41 AM

Re: Cannot connect

Thanks for your help. I have 2 Centrino laptops that have the problem
connecting. I have a third laptop that uses a PCMCIA wireless card and this
laptop can connect with out a problem. Also, prior to the wireless router I
used a wireless access point and again I did not have a problem with the
Centrino laptops. My problem started with the D-Link wireless router and I
was thinking that maybe it was the problem. Maybe there is some mismatch in
the signal frequency or something. I have tried it with 3 different
antennae.
Is there a better wireless router than I can try? I work from home so money
is not the real issue but I need to get it working. I am thinking of going
back to the wireless access point.
Alec

Jack 04-30-2006 02:29 PM

Re: Cannot connect

Hi

Unless something is wrong with the specific unit that you are using, the
D-Link should work well at such a distance. As far as distance is concerned
there is No difference between a Wireless Router and an Access Point, they
are using both the same type of Radios.

I do not know if it would solve the problem, however, the BuffaloTech. High
Power 802.11g is probably your best bet using Entry Level Hardware.

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/...&categoryid=29

The next level of hardware would 3 to 4 times more expensive by using Proxim
802.11g Wireless hardware.
http://shop.wirelessguys.com/s.nl/sc...t.A/id.1531/.f