Velocity Reviews

-   -   Firewall with NetZero Internet (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t232133-firewall-with-netzero-internet.html)

Pam 10-24-2005 08:52 PM

Firewall with NetZero Internet

Hi -

I have very little technical knowledge, but I'll explain my problem as
clearly as I can. I use Netzero Internet on my laptop computer whenever I'm
out of town and away from any wi-fi hotspots. I recently installed the
Sygate Personal Firewall on it. When I tried to dial up NetZero, I received
the following message box from Sygate: "F/X Communicatons NDIS Filter
Driver (fxwrap.sys) is being contacted from a remote machine (64.136.28.49)
using local port 1128. Do you want to allow this program access to the
network?" I clicked "No" and found that NetZero wouldn't bring in any web
pages. I tried again, and clicked "yes", and this time it immediately
turned off my computer. The computer restarted itself and brought up Scan
Disk with this message: "Checking file system on C: The type of file system
is FAT32. One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency."

I allowed the scan to be completed, and then Windows started properly. I
went to the Sygate applications list and set it to automatically allow the
fxwrap.sys access. I tried again to go on line, but the computer turned off
again. Finally I went to the system 32 folder and moved the fxwrap.sys file
to the desktop to see what would happen. Just as soon as the modem
connected to NetZero the computer turned off again. I put the file back
where it came from and gave up.

I feared that this might be some form of virus, so I ran the Avast virus
scan. It came up with nothing. I can get on NetZero Internet by exiting
the Sygate Personal Firewall, but that defeats the purpose of having the
firewall in the first place. Windows XP firewall is running. Can you tell
me if the Windows Firewall is all the firewall protection I need? I tried
Kerio Firewall, but it didn't seem to be very user-friendly to me. I feel
that this problem has to do with NetZero and perhaps not the firewall, as I
don't have any problems getting on line with wireless broadband from my
router on my desktop PC.

Does anyone have a quick fix to my problem that won't require me to have a
bunch of technical knowledge? I surely would appreciate it. Thanks in
advance.
.........Pam

Brian 10-24-2005 09:20 PM

Re: Firewall with NetZero Internet

" Pam" <per1818@nospam.planttel.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi -
>
> I have very little technical knowledge, but I'll explain my problem as
> clearly as I can. I use Netzero Internet on my laptop computer whenever

I'm
> out of town and away from any wi-fi hotspots. I recently installed the
> Sygate Personal Firewall on it. When I tried to dial up NetZero, I

received
> the following message box from Sygate: "F/X Communicatons NDIS Filter
> Driver (fxwrap.sys) is being contacted from a remote machine

(64.136.28.49)
> using local port 1128. Do you want to allow this program access to the
> network?" I clicked "No" and found that NetZero wouldn't bring in any web
> pages. I tried again, and clicked "yes", and this time it immediately
> turned off my computer. The computer restarted itself and brought up Scan
> Disk with this message: "Checking file system on C: The type of file

system
> is FAT32. One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency."
>

> I allowed the scan to be completed, and then Windows started properly. I
> went to the Sygate applications list and set it to automatically allow the
> fxwrap.sys access. I tried again to go on line, but the computer turned

off
> again. Finally I went to the system 32 folder and moved the fxwrap.sys

file
> to the desktop to see what would happen. Just as soon as the modem
> connected to NetZero the computer turned off again. I put the file back
> where it came from and gave up.
>

> I feared that this might be some form of virus, so I ran the Avast virus
> scan. It came up with nothing. I can get on NetZero Internet by exiting
> the Sygate Personal Firewall, but that defeats the purpose of having the
> firewall in the first place. Windows XP firewall is running. Can you

tell
> me if the Windows Firewall is all the firewall protection I need? I tried
> Kerio Firewall, but it didn't seem to be very user-friendly to me. I feel
> that this problem has to do with NetZero and perhaps not the firewall, as

> don't have any problems getting on line with wireless broadband from my
> router on my desktop PC.
>

> Does anyone have a quick fix to my problem that won't require me to have a
> bunch of technical knowledge? I surely would appreciate it. Thanks in
> advance.
> ........Pam

hmm.. wierd!
http://pt.ecomstation.ru/projects/co...t06.php#Key103

which leads to:

http://www.fx.dk/firewall/

never used it?

Pam 10-25-2005 12:32 AM

Re: Firewall with NetZero Internet

This is more than weird. I've never had the Injoy Firewall on my computer,
only Sygate and Kerio. Will it hurt anything if I delete that strange file?

Trax 10-25-2005 01:31 AM

" Pam" <per1818@nospam.planttel.net> wrote:

|>This is more than weird. I've never had the Injoy Firewall on my computer,
|>only Sygate and Kerio. Will it hurt anything if I delete that strange file?

Odder yet is it's a OS2/Warp file as well, I take it your not running
OS2.

RIght click on it, properties and see if you can see anything in the
version tab.

Instead of just deleting it, rename it first and see what complains,
stops working, or gives poor access speeds.

--
http://www.nasa.gov/missions/solarsystem/cev.html

Pam 10-25-2005 02:31 AM

Re: Firewall with NetZero Internet

I'll rename it and see what happens. I'm not running OS2 unless it's
something running in the background that I don't know about. I've never
even heard of OS2. Could that be a virus that was altered to appear as an

Trax 10-25-2005 03:05 AM

Re: Firewall with NetZero Internet

" Pam" <per1818@nospam.planttel.net> wrote:

|>I'll rename it and see what happens. I'm not running OS2 unless it's
|>something running in the background that I don't know about. I've never
|>even heard of OS2. Could that be a virus that was altered to appear as an
|>Injoy driver? I don't know where it could have come from.

Might look at it with FileAlyzer and see what you can find.
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/f...zer/index.html