Velocity Reviews

-   -   PC has been taken over, any help would be appreciated. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t232041-pc-has-been-taken-over-any-help-would-be-appreciated.html)

Cathy 10-23-2005 08:49 AM

PC has been taken over, any help would be appreciated.

I'll make a Long story as short as possible;
It started when I noticed that when I opened outlook express it would
disconnect me and bring up another dialup box, no matter what I changed the
preferences to. I also noticed that I didn't hear the modem sound any more,
again no matter what I set preferences to.
I am also being told that I no longer have privileges to change settings or
even enable anything on my Norton internet security.
I called my isp and HP and they had me delete temp & temporary Internet
files, etc. so, PCBug Doctor, Microsoft Malicious software removal tool, and
any other thingI run, can't find anything wrong, but there ARE settings that
still remain.
I have deleted my internet connection oh, say 9 -10 times and although it
says I am connected, I can't view we pages, messages or download mail. I can
ping my google start page though. At first I could go to web pages but it
would not let me log on to anything or download updates or do housecall
virus scan. It seems that if I wasn't going where ever it wanted to send me
, I'm not going anywhere. Last time this happened I had to reformat and that
is so bad because I am on a home office network and I have the printer
settings that the other pc needs to use. It will also not let me go to any
restore points successfully. I installed Earthlink total access to try to
get around it, and again that dial up box appeared and since I closed it to
use Total Access, Total Access can't seem to get connected.
Last time I did a housecall scan I had a lot of windows xp known
vulnerabilities But since I can't connect I can't download patches. I am
downloading them as I write this on my laptop to install later on desktop,
but will that fix anything? Also, When I pick up the phone line while trying
to connect there is a suspicious whirring noise interfering with the usual
boingy modem noises. Oh yeah, Someone also suspiciously redeemed a gift
certificate I has sent from Amazon.com. Something is rotten in Denmark
alright!!

Alan 10-23-2005 01:48 PM

Re: PC has been taken over, any help would be appreciated.

Cathy wrote:
> I'll make a Long story as short as possible;
> It started when I noticed that when I opened outlook express it would
> disconnect me and bring up another dialup box, no matter what I changed the
> preferences to. I also noticed that I didn't hear the modem sound any more,
> again no matter what I set preferences to.
> I am also being told that I no longer have privileges to change settings or
> even enable anything on my Norton internet security.
> I called my isp and HP and they had me delete temp & temporary Internet
> files, etc. so, PCBug Doctor, Microsoft Malicious software removal tool, and
> any other thingI run, can't find anything wrong, but there ARE settings that
> still remain.
> I have deleted my internet connection oh, say 9 -10 times and although it
> says I am connected, I can't view we pages, messages or download mail. I can
> ping my google start page though. At first I could go to web pages but it
> would not let me log on to anything or download updates or do housecall
> virus scan. It seems that if I wasn't going where ever it wanted to send me
> , I'm not going anywhere. Last time this happened I had to reformat and that
> is so bad because I am on a home office network and I have the printer
> settings that the other pc needs to use. It will also not let me go to any
> restore points successfully. I installed Earthlink total access to try to
> get around it, and again that dial up box appeared and since I closed it to
> use Total Access, Total Access can't seem to get connected.
> Last time I did a housecall scan I had a lot of windows xp known
> vulnerabilities But since I can't connect I can't download patches. I am
> downloading them as I write this on my laptop to install later on desktop,
> but will that fix anything? Also, When I pick up the phone line while trying
> to connect there is a suspicious whirring noise interfering with the usual
> boingy modem noises. Oh yeah, Someone also suspiciously redeemed a gift
> certificate I has sent from Amazon.com. Something is rotten in Denmark
> alright!!

Physically disconnect the PC from the phone and high speed internet if
you have that. Install Spybot and adaware from the laptop. Boot up the
desktop into safemode and run them until they do not find anything.
Then if you can connect to the internet, update them both - and run them
both again.

Cathy 10-23-2005 05:35 PM

Re: PC has been taken over, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks I'll try that.

Dennos 10-23-2005 10:15 PM

Re: PC has been taken over, any help would be appreciated.

Hi Cathy -

I have a computer I'm working on for friends who let their machine get
infected with 14 viruses. Password stealing viruses and dialing
viruses and others. The symptoms are exactly the same as with your
machine. We can dial up, and I can ping a known ip address, but email
or webpages never work. We are on line, but something is blocking
actual email or browser access to the internet. I have removed all the
viruses and reinstalled Windows (over the top of itself), used
different email clients, uninstalled and reinstalled browsers, etc, but
the problem continues. The owners of this computer have no original
Windows (98SE) installation disk, and HP no longer provides one. I
ordered a Windows CD to install Windows from scratch. That seems to be
the simplest solution. This computer was used by a family, the kids of
which downloaded many MP3 files using Kazaa and also downloaded many
games and I think played games on line. All such activities are
suspect in the infection of this machine. You are the first person I
have found with this problem, and have seen no inquiry responses that
address what is really happening or have any solutions. It looks like
a fresh OS reinstall is the best option.

Dennos