Velocity Reviews

-   -   Slow computer -- power supply related? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t231502-slow-computer-power-supply-related.html)

DC 10-16-2005 06:54 PM

Slow computer -- power supply related?

This is just a preliminary post, a wee bit short on details (as I do not
have subject PC in front of me), to try and troubleshoot the following
problem:

My Mom's computer is running gawdawful slow and I cannot figure out why.

Programs take forever and a day to load, screen slow to redraw at times,
etc.

It's a very basic HP Pavilion mini-ATX system with no bells or whistles.
It has a Celeron 700MHz processor.

It has always run slowly, whether under Windows98SE and (now) SuSE Linux
9.3 Pro.

In an effort to speed it up, I recently upgraded her to 512MB RAM. No
joy. What I did learn, however, upon opening up the case is that her PC
only has a *100W* power supply. HP is a cheapass outfit, dontcha know?

So, until I gather more details on her system (tonight), I'd like to
know if an underpowered system (which, at 100W, I feel that it is) would
actually appear to run slowly.

I'll get back to the group with more details as I gather them/or as
requested to help solve this vexing problem.

Thanks.

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Viruses, Instability, Spyware, Trojans, Adware -- Pre-order today!
-= http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx =-

Blinky the Shark 10-16-2005 07:19 PM

Re: Slow computer -- power supply related?

DC wrote:

> This is just a preliminary post, a wee bit short on details (as
> I do not have subject PC in front of me), to try and
> troubleshoot the following problem:
>
> My Mom's computer is running gawdawful slow and I cannot figure
> out why.
>
> Programs take forever and a day to load, screen slow to redraw
> at times, etc.
>
> It's a very basic HP Pavilion mini-ATX system with no bells or
> whistles. It has a Celeron 700MHz processor.
>
> It has always run slowly, whether under Windows98SE and (now)
> SuSE Linux 9.3 Pro.

*Mom*'s running Linux? You go, Mom! :)

--
Blinky
Killing all Google Groups posts.

DC 10-16-2005 07:46 PM

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> DC wrote:

>> This is just a preliminary post, a wee bit short on details (as
>> I do not have subject PC in front of me), to try and
>> troubleshoot the following problem:

>> My Mom's computer is running gawdawful slow and I cannot figure
>> out why.

>> Programs take forever and a day to load, screen slow to redraw
>> at times, etc.

>> It's a very basic HP Pavilion mini-ATX system with no bells or
>> whistles. It has a Celeron 700MHz processor.

>> It has always run slowly, whether under Windows98SE and (now)
>> SuSE Linux 9.3 Pro.

> *Mom*'s running Linux? You go, Mom! :)

As her admin, I didn't exactly leave her the choice. };O)

After one of her neighbour's kids came over, one afternoon, and went to one
dicey site too many, Windows was completely fubar, overrun with spyware and
viruses. I had just done a service call for routine maintenance and updates
(and free roast beef dinner <g>) *the weekend prior* and gave it a clean bill of
health.

Enough of this ****, I sez.

My baby sister was kinda choked up that she couldn't have genuine MSN Messenger
with all of
its built-in IncrediMailness. Boo fricken hoo.

I installed it about 2 months ago, now. Not a single complaint -- homework is
getting done, she's always online chatting with my kids, business as usual...

Oh, and I've lost 8 lbs. }:O)

Blinky the Shark 10-16-2005 08:14 PM

DC wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> DC wrote:

>>> This is just a preliminary post, a wee bit short on details
>>> (as I do not have subject PC in front of me), to try and
>>> troubleshoot the following problem:

>>> My Mom's computer is running gawdawful slow and I cannot
>>> figure out why.

>>> Programs take forever and a day to load, screen slow to redraw
>>> at times, etc.

>>> It's a very basic HP Pavilion mini-ATX system with no bells or
>>> whistles. It has a Celeron 700MHz processor.

>>> It has always run slowly, whether under Windows98SE and (now)
>>> SuSE Linux 9.3 Pro.

>> *Mom*'s running Linux? You go, Mom! :)

> As her admin, I didn't exactly leave her the choice. };O)

Power can be a good thing, if applied wisely. :)

> After one of her neighbour's kids came over, one afternoon, and
> went to one dicey site too many, Windows was completely fubar,
> overrun with spyware and viruses. I had just done a service
> call for routine maintenance and updates (and free roast beef
> dinner <g>) *the weekend prior* and gave it a clean bill of
> health.

Ouch.

> Enough of this ****, I sez.

Aye!

> My baby sister was kinda choked up that she couldn't have
> genuine MSN Messenger with all of
> its built-in IncrediMailness. Boo fricken hoo.

Indeed.

> I installed it about 2 months ago, now. Not a single complaint
> -- homework is getting done, she's always online chatting with
> my kids, business as usual...

Bitchin'.

> Oh, and I've lost 8 lbs. }:O)

Caught something from the roast beef? :)

Toolman Tim 10-16-2005 08:41 PM

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> DC wrote:
>
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>> *Mom*'s running Linux? You go, Mom! :)

>> As her admin, I didn't exactly leave her the choice. };O)

> Power can be a good thing, if applied wisely. :)
>
>> After one of her neighbour's kids came over, one afternoon, and
>> went to one dicey site too many, Windows was completely fubar,
>> overrun with spyware and viruses. I had just done a service
>> call for routine maintenance and updates (and free roast beef
>> dinner <g>) *the weekend prior* and gave it a clean bill of
>> health.

> Ouch.
>
>> Enough of this ****, I sez.

> Aye!
>
>> My baby sister was kinda choked up that she couldn't have
>> genuine MSN Messenger with all of
>> its built-in IncrediMailness. Boo fricken hoo.

> Indeed.
>
>> I installed it about 2 months ago, now. Not a single complaint
>> -- homework is getting done, she's always online chatting with
>> my kids, business as usual...

> Bitchin'.
>
>> Oh, and I've lost 8 lbs. }:O)

> Caught something from the roast beef? :)

I bet it's just the lack of service calls <g>

like an idiot.

Blinky the Shark 10-16-2005 09:43 PM

Toolman Tim wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> DC wrote:

>>> As her admin, I didn't exactly leave her the choice. };O)

>> Power can be a good thing, if applied wisely. :)
>>
>>> After one of her neighbour's kids came over, one afternoon,
>>> and went to one dicey site too many, Windows was completely
>>> fubar, overrun with spyware and viruses. I had just done a
>>> service call for routine maintenance and updates (and free
>>> roast beef dinner <g>) *the weekend prior* and gave it a clean
>>> bill of health.

>> Ouch.
>>
>>> Enough of this ****, I sez.

>> Aye!
>>
>>> My baby sister was kinda choked up that she couldn't have
>>> genuine MSN Messenger with all of its built-in
>>> IncrediMailness. Boo fricken hoo.

>> Indeed.
>>
>>> I installed it about 2 months ago, now. Not a single
>>> complaint -- homework is getting done, she's always online
>>> chatting with my kids, business as usual...

>> Bitchin'.
>>
>>> Oh, and I've lost 8 lbs. }:O)

>> Caught something from the roast beef? :)

> I bet it's just the lack of service calls <g>

Figured that out after I posted. :)

DC 10-17-2005 12:48 AM

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Toolman Tim wrote:

>> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>>> DC wrote:

[...]

>>> Caught something from the roast beef? :)

>> I bet it's just the lack of service calls <g>

> Figured that out after I posted. :)

We had spaghetti, tonight. Mmmm. }:O9

Dan Evans 10-17-2005 01:20 AM

"DC" <dcmoose@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
news:slrndl58eq.8ta.dcmoose@moosemeat.ca.INVALID.. .

> So, until I gather more details on her system (tonight), I'd like to
> know if an underpowered system (which, at 100W, I feel that it is) would
> actually appear to run slowly.

More likely that componants would manage, just, on the available power, then
just stop - though it's possible that if the HDD motor isn't receiving
enough power it will slow down. Try putting a new HDD cable in. Also make
sure that the hard drive isn't sharing its cable with the CD.

Dan

DC 10-17-2005 01:29 AM

Dan Evans wrote:

> "DC" <dcmoose@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> news:slrndl58eq.8ta.dcmoose@moosemeat.ca.INVALID.. .

>> So, until I gather more details on her system (tonight), I'd like to
>> know if an underpowered system (which, at 100W, I feel that it is) would
>> actually appear to run slowly.

> More likely that componants would manage, just, on the available power, then
> just stop - though it's possible that if the HDD motor isn't receiving
> enough power it will slow down. Try putting a new HDD cable in. Also make
> sure that the hard drive isn't sharing its cable with the CD.

Thanks, Dan. I'll try a new cable next time I go over there. As far as
sharing the cable, you wouldn't believe how jam packed that case is.
It's doubtful that I could get a new cable in there, provided there is
even a second IDE receptacle on the mobo.

I'll let you know.

Walter Mautner 10-17-2005 06:14 AM

DC wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> DC wrote:

>>> This is just a preliminary post, a wee bit short on details (as
>>> I do not have subject PC in front of me), to try and
>>> troubleshoot the following problem:

>>> My Mom's computer is running gawdawful slow and I cannot figure
>>> out why.

>>> Programs take forever and a day to load, screen slow to redraw
>>> at times, etc.

Since you already know that computer, you surely have a "lshw" or
"lspci" or (windows) "hwconfig" outprint?
Looks somehow like only generic chipset support resulting in no dma,
or/and no graphic acceleration.
Which chipset, which kernel?

>>> It's a very basic HP Pavilion mini-ATX system with no bells or
>>> whistles. It has a Celeron 700MHz processor.

>>> It has always run slowly, whether under Windows98SE and (now)
>>> SuSE Linux 9.3 Pro.

You cannot expect miracles. What GUI did you give mom? Probably unwise
to change it now since she's already used to it ... but even kde or
gnome can be a bit "slipstreamed" by turning off unneeded "services".

To your original question: unless it's a laptop on batteries, there is
no psu dependent throttling. However, a overheated cpu will slow down
(check fan running and blow the dust bunnies off the heatsink, also
check correct plain seat) and processes racing away (top in linux
should show).

>> *Mom*'s running Linux? You go, Mom! :)

> As her admin, I didn't exactly leave her the choice. };O)

> Oh, and I've lost 8 lbs. }:O)

*g*
to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
Linux woodpecker.fdns.net 2.6.12-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]