Velocity Reviews

-   -   Viewing pics (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t231454-viewing-pics.html)

Bill Kean 10-15-2005 08:08 PM

Viewing pics

I'm new to newsgroups. When I download a picture the message is all
encrypted with blocks and stuff. How do I reset to vies jpg and other files?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= 10-16-2005 02:43 AM

Re: Viewing pics

Bill Kean wrote:
> I'm new to newsgroups. When I download a picture the message is all
> encrypted with blocks and stuff. How do I reset to vies jpg and other files?

Worst choice: look up combine and decode in your newsreader's help
files/web pages (0utlook Express).

Best choice: get a decent news reader, like XNews. Or Forte Agent (the
free version is okay, the pay version is better).

digger o'dell 10-16-2005 03:07 AM

Re: Viewing pics

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 22:43:27 -0400, Rgr <abuse@your.isp.com> wrote:

>Bill Kean wrote:
>> I'm new to newsgroups. When I download a picture the message is all
>> encrypted with blocks and stuff. How do I reset to vies jpg and other files?

>Worst choice: look up combine and decode in your newsreader's help
>files/web pages (0utlook Express).
>
>Best choice: get a decent news reader, like XNews. Or Forte Agent (the
>free version is okay, the pay version is better).

Even the registered version of Forte Agent that I'm using (2.0/32.652)
doesn't seem to allow the alt groups, which Outlook Express and Opera
will. Am curious to know whether the much acclaimed XNews will also
accomodate alt groups?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= 10-16-2005 03:12 AM

Re: Viewing pics

digger o'dell wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 22:43:27 -0400, Rgr <abuse@your.isp.com> wrote:
>

>>Bill Kean wrote:
>>
>>>I'm new to newsgroups. When I download a picture the message is all
>>>encrypted with blocks and stuff. How do I reset to vies jpg and other files?

>>Worst choice: look up combine and decode in your newsreader's help
>>files/web pages (0utlook Express).
>>
>>Best choice: get a decent news reader, like XNews. Or Forte Agent (the
>>free version is okay, the pay version is better).

> Even the registered version of Forte Agent that I'm using (2.0/32.652)
> doesn't seem to allow the alt groups, which Outlook Express and Opera
> will. Am curious to know whether the much acclaimed XNews will also
> accomodate alt groups?

Not sure what you're smoking, but these programs do *not* discriminate
between alt and other hierarchies. Your Usenet provider may be doing
some tricks, but these programs will read any message on any group if
it's on your Usenet server. In any event, XNews is excellent. I do like it.

Trax 10-16-2005 03:26 AM

Re: Viewing pics

digger o'dell <diggerodell@gmail.com> wrote:

|>>Worst choice: look up combine and decode in your newsreader's help
|>>files/web pages (0utlook Express).
|>>
|>>Best choice: get a decent news reader, like XNews. Or Forte Agent (the
|>>free version is okay, the pay version is better).

|>Even the registered version of Forte Agent that I'm using (2.0/32.652)
|>doesn't seem to allow the alt groups, which Outlook Express and Opera
|>will. Am curious to know whether the much acclaimed XNews will also
|>accomodate alt groups?

On the first screen at the top left is <something> groups, click on it
to display ALL GROUPS.

--
Remember Commander Keen?
http://www.glenrhodes.com/flashkeen/

Blinky the Shark 10-16-2005 03:47 AM

Re: Viewing pics

digger o'dell wrote:

> yOn Sat, 15 Oct 2005 22:43:27 -0400, Rgr <abuse@your.isp.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Bill Kean wrote:
>>> I'm new to newsgroups. When I download a picture the message
>>> is all encrypted with blocks and stuff. How do I reset to vies
>>> jpg and other files?

>>Worst choice: look up combine and decode in your newsreader's
>>help files/web pages (0utlook Express).
>>
>>Best choice: get a decent news reader, like XNews. Or Forte
>>Agent (the free version is okay, the pay version is better).

> Even the registered version of Forte Agent that I'm using
> (2.0/32.652) doesn't seem to allow the alt groups, which Outlook

Digger! Step away from the crack pipe! FA and A don't care what
groups they download, if they're on the server.

> Express and Opera will. Am curious to know whether the much
> acclaimed XNews will also accomodate alt groups?

Of course it will, as will FA and A.

--
Blinky
Killing all Google Groups posts.

gangle 10-16-2005 04:44 AM

Re: Viewing pics

"Bill Kean" wrote
> I'm new to newsgroups. When I download a picture the message is all
> encrypted with blocks and stuff. How do I reset to vies jpg and other files?

OE doesn't decode yEnc. Here's my canned answer
for this type of OE/binary problem question:

To assemble a multi-part post using Outlook Express,
click part 1, then, while holding down the Ctrl key,
click each of the remaining parts. When you have
highlighted the last part, Right click and choose
"Combine and Decode." Make sure all parts are in
order in the window that pops up, then click "OK."
When all parts have downloaded and been decoded,
a window will appear with the File Icon in the
bottom left corner (OE4) or in the "Attach"
line (OE5 & 6). Right click on the icon, choose
"save as" and, within the browser window that
appears, choose "Desktop" as the place to initially
save it. If you want to keep it, you can later CUT and
PASTE it from Desktop to any folder you want.

IMPORTANT NOTE: In OE4 it is possible to download
a multi-part binary while simultaneously reading or
posting to other NGs, or reading/sending email -- But:
in the "upgraded" OE5 & 6, downloading a multi-part file
makes the program UNUSABLE for most other functions
while the process goes on; so, if you frequently want to
download multi-part binary files, it's more practical
to use a dedicated news reading and posting program,
such as Agent ("Full" Agent @ $29 -- NOT Free Agent):
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.htm
or Xnews (free):
http://xnews.newsguy.com/
or Gravity (free):
http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tba...ty/start1.html
for downloading binaries.
Also, for $35, there is Newsbin, which is strictly
for downloading binaries (no text):
http://www.newsbin.com/ .
You could still use OE 4, 5, or 6 as an email program
and to view/post to text-only NGs, while using one of
the above programs to retrieve binaries.

About yEnc:

yEnc is a type of binary-to-text encoding that has much
less text "overhead" (about 3% more than the actual file
size) than Uuencoded files (about 30% more than actual
file size). For example, a 10 MB video file will be -- when
converted to text for uploading and downloading:
With yEnc: 10.3 MB -- With Uuencoding: 13 MB.
So, it's easy to see why it's more efficient for both
uploaders and downloaders to use yEnc.
Unfortunately, OE does not internally decode yEnc
encoded binaries, and never will because Microsoft
just doesn't give a **** about OE as a newsreader.
You must use a 3rd-party program to achieve this, the
easiest being yProxy:
http://www.brawnylads.com/software/ , but 3rd-party
software is cumbersome at best. Since most multipart
binaries are uploaded using yEnc, you really need to
install and learn to use a dedicated news reader that
decodes yEnc internally -- see the list above above
(or do a search for "newsreaders").

About RARs and PARs:

RAR is widely used to archive multimedia type files (.avi,
..mpg, .mov, .rm, etc.) splitting them into sequentially
numbered RAR parts. You need WinRar to decompress
and reassemble the archive so that the multimedia file
can be extracted:
http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
(shareware, but always usable, even after the trial period).
Tutorial:
http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=5

PAR or PAR2 files are "wild card" type files used to
replace any RAR files that are incomplete/missing
due to poor propagation by a news server.
Tutorial:
http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=6

Also, if you're going to download a lot of
binaries, it's good to subscribe to a premium
news service that has high article completion
and long article retention -- the gold standard
of premium news service being Giganews
(close to 100% article completion -- Par files
almost never needed; up to *50 days* retention):
http://www.giganews.com/
A bit lesser, but "good" news service is Easynews:
http://www.easynews.com/

So, to sum up, what you need is:

1--A "real," yEnc-capable newsreader

2--WinRar

3--Quickpar (to handle Par or Par2 files)

and, optionally...

4--An NFO (text file describing the binary upload) reader,
such as the free Getinfo (here's a Direct Download link
for that program:
ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/utilmisc/getinfo.zip )

5--Subscribe to a premium news service