Velocity Reviews

-   -   shop purchased cd wont play (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t231259-shop-purchased-cd-wont-play.html)

Harold potter esq 10-12-2005 12:41 PM

shop purchased cd wont play

Thank you in advance for any good advice proferred and no thanks for the
sarcastic comments.
I purchased an audio cd in a store. Brought it home and found it would not
play on my cd, dvd home players nor on my cd, dvd pc players nor in my car.
I returned it to the record company....(bought it on holiday) I have today
received another and the exact same situ is there. The cd was covered in
cellophane as usual so legit.......my cd or dvd on the pc will not show
anything at all when I "explore" or play. Any ideas please? Too much of a
coincidence that both are faulty or is it. I think that I read months ago
on the group of a prog that can tell me what if anything is on the cd. I
have already tried google.

--
This is not the work of a complete idiot....not yet.

Swiss Tony 10-12-2005 01:04 PM

Re: shop purchased cd wont play

"Harold potter esq" <Bobsyirunclenfanniesyiraunt@****mail.com> wrote in
message news:Cv73f.110$YQ.47@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net...
> Thank you in advance for any good advice proferred and no thanks for the
> sarcastic comments.
> I purchased an audio cd in a store. Brought it home and found it would

not
> play on my cd, dvd home players nor on my cd, dvd pc players nor in my

car.
> I returned it to the record company....(bought it on holiday) I have today
> received another and the exact same situ is there. The cd was covered in
> cellophane as usual so legit.......my cd or dvd on the pc will not show
> anything at all when I "explore" or play. Any ideas please? Too much of

> coincidence that both are faulty or is it. I think that I read months ago
> on the group of a prog that can tell me what if anything is on the cd. I
> have already tried google.
>
> --
> This is not the work of a complete idiot....not yet.

Does it say anywhere on the cd label or jewel case label about copy
protection?
The program you are looking for is called isobuster http://www.isobuster.com

Dan Evans 10-12-2005 08:49 PM

Re: shop purchased cd wont play

"Harold potter esq" <Bobsyirunclenfanniesyiraunt@****mail.com> wrote in
message news:Cv73f.110$YQ.47@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net...

> Thank you in advance for any good advice proferred and no thanks for the
> sarcastic comments.
> I purchased an audio cd in a store. Brought it home and found it would
> not play on my cd, dvd home players nor on my cd, dvd pc players nor in my
> car.

Sounds like a copy protection issue.

Dan

The Shed 10-13-2005 03:26 AM

Re: shop purchased cd wont play

"Harold potter esq" <Bobsyirunclenfanniesyiraunt@****mail.com> wrote in
message news:Cv73f.110$YQ.47@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net...
> Thank you in advance for any good advice proferred and no thanks for
> the sarcastic comments.
> I purchased an audio cd in a store. Brought it home and found it
> would not play on my cd, dvd home players nor on my cd, dvd pc players
> nor in my car. I returned it to the record company....(bought it on
> holiday) I have today received another and the exact same situ is
> there. The cd was covered in cellophane as usual so legit.......my cd
> or dvd on the pc will not show anything at all when I "explore" or
> play. Any ideas please? Too much of a coincidence that both are
> faulty or is it. I think that I read months ago on the group of a
> prog that can tell me what if anything is on the cd. I have already
> tried google.
>
> --
> This is not the work of a complete idiot....not yet.

My guess is region protection---which country did you buy it in? where
are you now?

Harold potter esq 10-13-2005 10:08 AM

Re: shop purchased cd wont play

I think perhaps that some of you are misunderstanding me. I live in belfast,
northern ireland and the cd was produced by a n.ireland company.I do not
wish to copy the cd I merely want to play it...........

Dan Evans 10-13-2005 05:41 PM

message news:dmq3f.190$V83.91@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...

> I think perhaps that some of you are misunderstanding me. I live in
> belfast, northern ireland and the cd was produced by a n.ireland company.I
> do not wish to copy the cd I merely want to play it...........

Playing or copying, makes no difference. Some players won't play or can even
lock up (hello Apple iMac) due to the copy protection used, which makes the
CD not actually CD compatible and they are not allowed to show the "CD"
symbol on the packaging. Sony causes problems and, IIRC, BMG.

Dan

Harold potter esq 10-14-2005 06:31 PM

Re: shop purchased cd wont play

I have been reading through the correspondence and have found that there is
a very salient point that I have not mentioned. When I put the cd into one
of my drives (dvd or cd), none of them show the presence of the cd. Just
blank as if nothing was in the drive.

Dan Evans 10-14-2005 06:50 PM

message news:IPS3f.1774$2z4.765@newsfe6-win.ntli.net...

> I have been reading through the correspondence and have found that there
> is a very salient point that I have not mentioned. When I put the cd into
> one of my drives (dvd or cd), none of them show the presence of the cd.
> Just blank as if nothing was in the drive.

See my last post.

Dan