Velocity Reviews

-   -   data transfer (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t231063-data-transfer.html)

John7 10-08-2005 04:40 PM

data transfer

I have a hard drive with data and I want to transfer files to my new
computer. I bought a external enclosure and I would have to format it
and defeat my purpose of keeping my data. Can I install as a slave and
keep my data? Help

kenny 10-08-2005 05:12 PM

Re: data transfer

you can unless you have locked the data with windows XP ntfs security.
When you add a password to a USER in XP it asks you if you want to protect
your files.
If you have done this, you should transfer all the files you need in another
folder in the root of the disk.
Also have in mind that you will have to write down all your passwords and
email acounts because you will not be able to get to them if you have the
disk as a slave... also
make sure your files are not hidden (open windows explorer or my computer
then go to TOOLS> folder options---View and make sure all the hidden files
and system files are visible) then take a look in the C:\Documents and
Settings\USER folder
where USER is your username.. and copy the my favorites, my documents etc.
also copy your email files and address book (do a search for *.wab =
windows address book)

Kenny www.computerboom.com

HOPE -- Desire and expectation rolled into one.
news:1128789658.875410.289620@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...