Velocity Reviews

-   -   Mac computers (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t230897-mac-computers.html)

Fred 10-05-2005 02:38 AM

Mac computers

Does anyone here own a Mac?

Why would anyone select a mac over a PC since they are 3-4 times the price?

Blood Money 10-05-2005 02:47 AM

Re: Mac computers

Fred wrote:
> Does anyone here own a Mac?
>
> Why would anyone select a mac over a PC since they are 3-4 times the price?

Unlike Windows, Apple (Mac) OS is practically immune to virus attacks.
Also, Macs have long been considered superior for graphics design and
OOP.

Toolman Tim 10-05-2005 02:51 AM

Re: Mac computers

Blood Money wrote:
> Fred wrote:
>> Does anyone here own a Mac?
>>
>> Why would anyone select a mac over a PC since they are 3-4 times the
>> price?

> Unlike Windows, Apple (Mac) OS is practically immune to virus attacks.

Not at all true. But due to the smaller user base, there is little incentive
for hackers/programmers to write malicious code to attack that platform.

> Also, Macs have long been considered superior for graphics design and
> OOP.

But the fact is that software running on Windows caught up to the Mac years
ago. There is no current reason to feel that the Mac is superior for those
applications anymore.

docmill 10-05-2005 03:00 AM

Re: Mac computers

"Toolman Tim" <no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> wrote in

> Blood Money wrote:
>> Fred wrote:
>>> Does anyone here own a Mac?
>>>
>>> Why would anyone select a mac over a PC since they are 3-4 times the
>>> price?

>> Unlike Windows, Apple (Mac) OS is practically immune to virus
>> attacks.

> Not at all true. But due to the smaller user base, there is little
> incentive for hackers/programmers to write malicious code to attack
> that platform.
>
>> Also, Macs have long been considered superior for graphics design and
>> OOP.

> But the fact is that software running on Windows caught up to the Mac
> years ago. There is no current reason to feel that the Mac is superior
> for those applications anymore.

Security updates might be one.
Specifically in the OOP or Mac POOP.
I like to think Opera is immune to the would be's, but then, I hear Mars is
gonna see size 18 foot prints.
--
**************SEND ME A LINK******************
Docmill's "Home Of Hotlinks In the FryingSpam"

Blood Money 10-05-2005 03:48 AM

Re: Mac computers

Toolman Tim wrote:
> Blood Money wrote:
> > Fred wrote:
> >> Does anyone here own a Mac?
> >>
> >> Why would anyone select a mac over a PC since they are 3-4 times the
> >> price?

> > Unlike Windows, Apple (Mac) OS is practically immune to virus attacks.

> Not at all true. But due to the smaller user base, there is little incentive
> for hackers/programmers to write malicious code to attack that platform.

Indeed, I stand corrected.

> > Also, Macs have long been considered superior for graphics design and
> > OOP.

> But the fact is that software running on Windows caught up to the Mac years
> ago. There is no current reason to feel that the Mac is superior for those
> applications anymore.

Hm. This is the current argument used by my Mac advocate friends.
Perhaps it is perception.

> --
> When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl.

This makes me wonder (as does the OP) how Apple is able to charge a
premium price for their products.

Mitch 10-05-2005 06:30 AM

Re: Mac computers

In article <N0H0f.2325$ir4.1582@edtnps90>, Fred <Fred@view.net> wrote:

> Does anyone here own a Mac?
>
> Why would anyone select a mac over a PC since they are 3-4 times the price?

Don't have to deal with Windows, and that is a REAL benefit.
Don't have to spend so much to keep it running, even with upgrades.
Everything works. don't have to spend ANY time getting anything to run.
NOTHING to get in the way of safe, secure, and effective use of the
computer -- like viruses, security issues, frequent incompatibilities,
etc.

Now where did you get the idea of the price difference?
I figure I'm paying around ten percent more than a comparable Windows
computer.
Just ten percent to avoid using Windows? No question!
Twenty percent? Thirty percent? NO QUESTION AT ALL!

Mitch 10-05-2005 06:37 AM

Re: Mac computers

In article <EcH0f.8393$Yv6.1575@fe06.lga>, Toolman Tim
<no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> wrote:

> Blood Money wrote:

> > Unlike Windows, Apple (Mac) OS is practically immune to virus attacks.

> Not at all true. But due to the smaller user base, there is little incentive
> for hackers/programmers to write malicious code to attack that platform.

A common misconception.
There are almost ZERO threats against Mac OS -- that's the value right
now.
It's not just because it's got a smaller user base, it's a more secure
OS.
And it doesn't make any damn difference WHY there aren't viruses -- the
point is, they are not a threat!

> > Also, Macs have long been considered superior for graphics design and
> > OOP.

> But the fact is that software running on Windows caught up to the Mac years
> ago. There is no current reason to feel that the Mac is superior for those
> applications anymore.

But still mostly not the point.
The fact that most of the same software can also be found for Windows
isn't the point. A major reason Mac has been better for graphics
designers is that the OS stays out of the way much better than Windows
ever has or could. Using a Mac is much less of a technical process than
Windows, much more conducive to creative minds.

Mitch 10-05-2005 06:48 AM

Re: Mac computers

In article <EcH0f.8393$Yv6.1575@fe06.lga>, Toolman Tim
<no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> wrote:

> Blood Money wrote:
> > Fred wrote:
> >> Does anyone here own a Mac?
> >>
> >> Why would anyone select a mac over a PC since they are 3-4 times the
> >> price?

> > Unlike Windows, Apple (Mac) OS is practically immune to virus attacks.

> Not at all true. But due to the smaller user base, there is little incentive
> for hackers/programmers to write malicious code to attack that platform.

Let me suggest a perspective on this:
there are plenty of Windows users who have convinced themselves they
HATE the Mac OS. No reason -- they just didn't want to use it. Mac
users hear it all the time.
Do you seriously suggest that virus writers would not want to write Mac
viruses just because it would only hurt Mac users?

The attitude suggests to me that there are many users out there who
would revel in writing Mac viruses and doing as much damage as they
could to the Mac platform.
There are, presumably, malicious Mac users as well.
There are programmers for the many programming methods that Mac OS
supports aside from Mac software -- Java, Unix, javascript and
scripting, Visual Basic, and whatever.

The lack of threat to Mac users isn't an illusion.
For many years, right now, and for the foreseeable future, Mac users
just don't have to worry about those problems.

Why isn't that enough to make a major point in the Mac's favor?

Fred 10-05-2005 07:22 AM

Re: Mac computers

"Mitch" <mitch@hawaii.rr> wrote in message
> In article <N0H0f.2325$ir4.1582@edtnps90>, Fred <Fred@view.net> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone here own a Mac?
> >
> > Why would anyone select a mac over a PC since they are 3-4 times the

price?

> Don't have to deal with Windows, and that is a REAL benefit.
> Don't have to spend so much to keep it running, even with upgrades.
> Everything works. don't have to spend ANY time getting anything to run.
> NOTHING to get in the way of safe, secure, and effective use of the
> computer -- like viruses, security issues, frequent incompatibilities,
> etc.
>
> Now where did you get the idea of the price difference?
> I figure I'm paying around ten percent more than a comparable Windows
> computer.
> Just ten percent to avoid using Windows? No question!
> Twenty percent? Thirty percent? NO QUESTION AT ALL!

A 17" LCD imac is $1299 compared to a 17" CRT system from Dell at $399. Add
another $100 for the LCD and you are at 2.5x the price. The lowest tower
price from apple is $2000 albiet a dual w/o a monitor but that is still 5x
the price.

elaich 10-05-2005 09:06 AM

Re: Mac computers

Mitch <mitch@hawaii.rr> wrote in news:041020052048219630%mitch@hawaii.rr:

> For many years, right now, and for the foreseeable future, Mac users
> just don't have to worry about those problems.

Windows users don't have to worry about them either if they educate
themselves. The problem is that 99% of Windows users are morons.