Velocity Reviews

-   -   Icon Name backgrounds (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t230811-icon-name-backgrounds.html)

Yoonome 10-02-2005 10:01 PM

Icon Name backgrounds

Hi there... How do I turn off the background colour box behind my Icon names
?
I've looked Hi & Lo and cannot find the turn off, but I'm pretty sure
there is one.
Thanks guys in advance...

Toolman Tim 10-02-2005 10:15 PM

Re: Icon Name backgrounds

Yoonome wrote:
> Hi there... How do I turn off the background colour box behind my
> Icon names ?
> I've looked Hi & Lo and cannot find the turn off, but I'm pretty
> sure there is one.
> Thanks guys in advance...

What operating system are you using? That feature is native only in XP.

Yoonome 10-02-2005 10:42 PM

Re: Icon Name backgrounds

Sorry bout that... Win.XP

Toolman Tim 10-02-2005 10:50 PM

Re: Icon Name backgrounds

Yoonome wrote:

(Top posting fixed...)

> "Toolman Tim" <no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> wrote in message
>> Yoonome wrote:
>>> Hi there... How do I turn off the background colour box behind my
>>> Icon names ?
>>> I've looked Hi & Lo and cannot find the turn off, but I'm pretty
>>> sure there is one.
>>> Thanks guys in advance...

>> What operating system are you using? That feature is native only in
>> XP.

> Sorry bout that... Win.XP

Okay - that's called "drop shadows". RIght-click on My Computer, select
Properties. Click on the Advanced tab. In the Visual Effect settings, scroll
to the bottom. Turn on "Use drop shadows..." (next to last). That should do
it, although I've ran into problems on some systems where that didn't work.

Yoonome 10-02-2005 11:13 PM

Re: Icon Name backgrounds

> Yoonome wrote:
>>

> (Top posting fixed...)
>>
>> "Toolman Tim" <no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> What operating system are you using? That feature is native only in
>>> XP.

>> Sorry bout that... Win.XP
>>

> Okay - that's called "drop shadows". RIght-click on My Computer, select
> Properties. Click on the Advanced tab. In the Visual Effect settings,
> scroll to the bottom. Turn on "Use drop shadows..." (next to last). That
> should do it, although I've ran into problems on some systems where that
> didn't work.

Ok I tried that but it doesn't work. It looked like it was trying to,
then stopped.
I know for a fact it used to work, but since I changed to an LCD
Monitor it
doesn't any more. Doesn't make sense...

Toolman Tim 10-02-2005 11:15 PM

Re: Icon Name backgrounds

Yoonome wrote:
> "Toolman Tim" <no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> wrote in message
>> Yoonome wrote:
>>>

>> (Top posting fixed...)
>>>
>>> "Toolman Tim" <no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Sorry bout that... Win.XP
>>>

>> Okay - that's called "drop shadows". RIght-click on My Computer,
>> select Properties. Click on the Advanced tab. In the Visual Effect
>> settings, scroll to the bottom. Turn on "Use drop shadows..." (next
>> to last). That should do it, although I've ran into problems on some
>> systems where that didn't work.
>>

> Ok I tried that but it doesn't work. It looked like it was
> trying to, then stopped.
> I know for a fact it used to work, but since I changed to an LCD
> Monitor it
> doesn't any more. Doesn't make sense...

Alright - next thing to try: right-click on a blank spot of the desktop,
select Arrange Icons By, and be sure " Lock web items on desktop" is
unchecked.

Brian 10-02-2005 11:22 PM

Re: Icon Name backgrounds

"Yoonome" <Yoonome@Yoonowhere.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> "Toolman Tim" <no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> wrote in message
> > Yoonome wrote:
> >>

> > (Top posting fixed...)
> >>
> >> "Toolman Tim" <no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> wrote in message

> >> Sorry bout that... Win.XP
> >>

> > Okay - that's called "drop shadows". RIght-click on My Computer, select
> > Properties. Click on the Advanced tab. In the Visual Effect settings,
> > scroll to the bottom. Turn on "Use drop shadows..." (next to last). That
> > should do it, although I've ran into problems on some systems where that
> > didn't work.
> >

> Ok I tried that but it doesn't work. It looked like it was trying

to,
> then stopped.
> I know for a fact it used to work, but since I changed to an LCD
> Monitor it
> doesn't any more. Doesn't make sense...

check the 3rd from the TOP of the list.

Toolman Tim 10-02-2005 11:24 PM

Re: Icon Name backgrounds

Brian wrote:
> "Yoonome" <Yoonome@Yoonowhere.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>
>> "Toolman Tim" <no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Yoonome wrote:
>>>>
>>> (Top posting fixed...)

>>> Okay - that's called "drop shadows". RIght-click on My Computer,
>>> select Properties. Click on the Advanced tab. In the Visual Effect
>>> settings, scroll to the bottom. Turn on "Use drop shadows..." (next
>>> to last). That should do it, although I've ran into problems on
>>> some systems where that didn't work.
>>>

>> Ok I tried that but it doesn't work. It looked like it was
>> trying to, then stopped.
>> I know for a fact it used to work, but since I changed to an
>> LCD Monitor it
>> doesn't any more. Doesn't make sense...
>>

> check the 3rd from the TOP of the list.

Why would fading tooltips affect drop shadows?

Brian 10-02-2005 11:34 PM

Re: Icon Name backgrounds

"Toolman Tim" <no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Brian wrote:
> > "Yoonome" <Yoonome@Yoonowhere.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> >>
> >> "Toolman Tim" <no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> wrote in message

> >> Ok I tried that but it doesn't work. It looked like it was
> >> trying to, then stopped.
> >> I know for a fact it used to work, but since I changed to an
> >> LCD Monitor it
> >> doesn't any more. Doesn't make sense...
> >>

> > check the 3rd from the TOP of the list.

> Why would fading tooltips affect drop shadows?

we seem to have different options/items here. it is "use transparent
background for icon names (or similar)". i am also assuming that the OP
wants transparent text on his desktop icons when using background images.
using xp pro, style=classic.

Toolman Tim 10-02-2005 11:48 PM

Re: Icon Name backgrounds

Brian wrote:
> "Toolman Tim" <no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> schrieb im
> Newsbeitrag news:u%Z%e.3629$ES.243@fe07.lga...
>> Brian wrote:
>>> "Yoonome" <Yoonome@Yoonowhere.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>>> check the 3rd from the TOP of the list.

>> Why would fading tooltips affect drop shadows?
>>

> we seem to have different options/items here. it is "use transparent
> background for icon names (or similar)". i am also assuming that the
> OP wants transparent text on his desktop icons when using background
> images. using xp pro, style=classic.

Could be. I don't have XP Pro here at home. But when I've done the same
thing in XP Pro at work, it's still the next to the last (drop shadows). The
last three in the list are the only ones I leave on. (IMO, fading menus and
shadows under cursors and stuff like that is too much "fluff" and slows down
the systems.)