Velocity Reviews

-   -   Accessing the special character set from a laptop (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t230363-accessing-the-special-character-set-from-a-laptop.html)

Trent SC 09-24-2005 12:43 PM

Accessing the special character set from a laptop

I can use lesser-known characters (accents, umlauts etc) on my desktop's
keyboard by using the keypad on the right and typing Alt-0233 for and so
on, but my laptop has no separate number pad, allowing access using the blue
Fn key, which I think is common for many lappies. However, pressing
Alt-Fn-0233 doesn't work.

Any ideas how I can achieve the same results as on my desktop?

TIA

Mitch 09-24-2005 02:17 PM

Re: Accessing the special character set from a laptop

In article <43354a14$0$15059$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>,
Trent SC <invalid@bogoff.invalid> wrote:

> I can use lesser-known characters (accents, umlauts etc) on my desktop's
> keyboard by using the keypad on the right and typing Alt-0233 for and so
> on, but my laptop has no separate number pad, allowing access using the blue
> Fn key, which I think is common for many lappies. However, pressing
> Alt-Fn-0233 doesn't work.
>
> Any ideas how I can achieve the same results as on my desktop?

Not clear which bumbers you are using here.
First, try it with the number keys. That would mean no Function key,
and not the secondary number keypad set. Just the regular number keys
that have always been at the top.

trout 09-24-2005 02:21 PM

Trent SC wrote:

> I can use lesser-known characters (accents, umlauts etc) on my
> desktop's keyboard by using the keypad on the right and typing
> Alt-0233 for and so on, but my laptop has no separate number pad,
> allowing access using the blue Fn key, which I think is common for
> many lappies. However, pressing Alt-Fn-0233 doesn't work.
>
> Any ideas how I can achieve the same results as on my desktop?
>
> TIA

Do you mean a keyboard combination, only (as opposed to using a
charmap)?
--
Or just getting the characters?

why? 09-24-2005 04:20 PM

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 13:43:32 +0100, Trent SC wrote:

>I can use lesser-known characters (accents, umlauts etc) on my desktop's
>keyboard by using the keypad on the right and typing Alt-0233 for and so
>on, but my laptop has no separate number pad, allowing access using the blue

Buy,
http://www.pdatoday.com/maximumpda_more/554_0_2_0_M25/

>Fn key, which I think is common for many lappies. However, pressing
>Alt-Fn-0233 doesn't work.

That's after doing Fn-Num Lock to turn the numbers on first?

>Any ideas how I can achieve the same results as on my desktop?

You mean on the laptop?

Windows 2000 (if that's what you are using)

Start / Programs / Accessories / System Tools / Character Map

or for several versions of Windows

Start / Run / charmap / OK

Me

Trax 09-25-2005 03:16 AM

Re: Accessing the special character set from a laptop

"Trent SC" <invalid@bogoff.invalid> wrote:

|>I can use lesser-known characters (accents, umlauts etc) on my desktop's
|>keyboard by using the keypad on the right and typing Alt-0233 for and so
|>on, but my laptop has no separate number pad, allowing access using the blue
|>Fn key, which I think is common for many lappies. However, pressing
|>Alt-Fn-0233 doesn't work.
|>
|>Any ideas how I can achieve the same results as on my desktop?

You could use PowerPro http://powerpro.webeddie.com/

After setting it up you could have a menu bar popup when the
application(s) that need this is run. And press the appropriate
bar/menu/area to get the character.

You could even get fancy and make an L or other shapes with your mouse
(mouse actions) to print characters.

Or you could google for: keyboard macro

--
pournography
http://www.liquidsculpture.com/

Trent SC 09-26-2005 03:48 PM

Re: Accessing the special character set from a laptop

>>I can use lesser-known characters (accents, umlauts etc) on my desktop's
>>keyboard by using the keypad on the right and typing Alt-0233 for and so
>>on, but my laptop has no separate number pad, allowing access using the
>>blue

> Buy,
> http://www.pdatoday.com/maximumpda_more/554_0_2_0_M25/
>
>>Fn key, which I think is common for many lappies. However, pressing
>>Alt-Fn-0233 doesn't work.

> That's after doing Fn-Num Lock to turn the numbers on first?

Ah. Got it, thanks.