Velocity Reviews

-   -   Mapped drive problem XP Pro (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t230224-mapped-drive-problem-xp-pro.html)

JohnF 09-21-2005 04:57 PM

Mapped drive problem XP Pro

On a boot or reboot my accounting software can't find the data path
(mapped drive) to the server (peer-to-peer). If I go to explorer in
the offending remote computers the mapped drive shows up OK. If I
open the mapped drive then close it the software has no problem until
the next boot. I've remapped the drive and reset the data path in the
software .INI file but it makes no difference.
4 comps involved all XP Pro, all updated, 512 ram. 2 cabled NIC, 2
wireless.

What's up?

JohnF

pcbutts1 09-21-2005 05:11 PM

Re: Mapped drive problem XP Pro

This has worked for me. In your network properties do you have CSNW that's
Client Services for Netware installed? That's part of Novell. If it is
installed and you don't use it then remove it as it is not needed.

why? 09-21-2005 06:32 PM

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:57:52 GMT, JohnF wrote:

>On a boot or reboot my accounting software can't find the data path

That's a lot of server reboots, if it's that much of an irritating
problem. Get a proper server OS and try to avoid rebooting it.

>(mapped drive) to the server (peer-to-peer). If I go to explorer in

You are disconnecting the server (mapped path) and the other systems
have a problem?

>the offending remote computers the mapped drive shows up OK. If I

No little red X on the drive letter for the share, no time delay
reconnecting?

XP has some default idle timeouts for mapped drives.

www.google.com will turn up several articles mentioning the
autodisconnect effect and registry edits if required and MS articles.

>open the mapped drive then close it the software has no problem until
>the next boot. I've remapped the drive and reset the data path in the
>software .INI file but it makes no difference.

Most likely not, as the issues appears to be a mapped path issue , not
the path.

>4 comps involved all XP Pro, all updated, 512 ram. 2 cabled NIC, 2

One of the 4 is the 'server'?

'all updated'?

>wireless.
>
>What's up?
>
>JohnF

Me

JohnF 09-21-2005 08:07 PM

Re: Mapped drive problem XP Pro

The "server" I refer to is just the one comp the main files for that
software are located on. It doesn't get re-booted very often but the
others do from time to time, those are the ones with the path problem.
The mapped drive shows up just fine in explorer with no indication of
a problem and opens right up if I click on it. After that all is well
in Gotham.

I'll look into the time delay thing.

JohnF

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 18:32:20 GMT, why?